• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cleaning House...FInally

Captain Obvious

It’s hardly cleaning house.

The design here, I suspect, is to re-tool a few elements to try to make a late season rally. If it fails, and Tepper wants to “clean house” in January, it makes that move a bit smoother. 

I don’t view this as a concession, or quitting on 2018. And I don’t think it means Ron is gone.

And I’m not advocating either position here, before you freak out. 

23 minutes ago, CatTower said:

We are in the WC hunt as much as anybody.  Truthfully, nothing has changed for us these last 4 losses because we were never going to catch the Saints anyway.

Except that . . . had the last four losses been wins we would currently be tied with the Saints for first in our division with two games against them yet to come.  Even 2-2 over the last four and we hold the destiny of the division in our hands.

So, pretty much everything has changed over the last four games.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You think Tepper believed Jeff Imamura was the real problem with the defense?

I'd say this is definitely Rivera.

No, what I'm saying is did Ron decide all on his own to make these changes, or did Tepper essentially tell him to make changes? 

I don't see Tepper as the type to give specific orders on who he wants gone (barring extreme circumstances), but more as the "you need to do whatever it takes to fix it, now" type...which is a euphemism for "get rid of the dead weight."  And since Ron isn't going to fire himself, he'll find scapegoats and switch things up.

4 minutes ago, Woodie said:

No, what I'm saying is did Ron decide all on his own to make these changes, or did Tepper essentially tell him to make changes? 

I don't see Tepper as the type to give specific orders on who he wants gone (barring extreme circumstances), but more as the "you need to do whatever it takes to fix it, now" type...which is a euphemism for "get rid of the dead weight."  And since Ron isn't going to fire himself, he'll find scapegoats and switch things up.

I don’t think Tepper had to step in and tell Ron the writing is on the wall.

It is so painfully obvious and even a clueless dolt like Rivera picked it up.

So these are last minute Hail Marys to try and salvage something that was lost weeks ago.

1 hour ago, je1005 said:

Richard Rodgers keeps his job after failing as both ST and DB coach. 

Unreal. 

This will be what gets Ron fired. Besides the obvious losing record

I’m sure Tepper probably did state some changes need to be made then he’s gonna sit back and watch and see how Ron goes about this.  And when  he keeps his obvious weak link friends Rodgers and Washington (tepper knows one or both should be fired ) instead of firing either and scape goating 2 assistants. Hoke was-a joke hiring anyway  .. it’s just another misstep by Ron showing why he shouldn’t be a head coach 

5 minutes ago, mjligon said:

I don’t think Tepper had to step in and tell Ron the writing is on the wall.

It is so painfully obvious and even a clueless dolt like Rivera picked it up.

So these are last minute Hail Marys to try and salvage something that was lost weeks ago.

Maybe, but I also don't see Tepper as the type to sit in a corner quietly while his company is burning down.  He may not have made any pointed directives, but I have little doubt he let Ron know he's not happy with what he's seeing, which likely pushed Ron to act.  

15 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Rivera was asked in his presser whether Tepper had anything to do with these decisions and he said no.

He was also asked whether he could give any insight to the reason behind these firings. He couldn't do it.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rivera was asked in his presser whether Tepper had anything to do with these decisions and he said no.

He was also asked whether he could give any insight to the reason behind these firings. He couldn't do it.

That's no surprise.  Coaches almost always take ownership of these kind of moves, no matter what the impetus.  Also, he's trying to do whatever he can to save his job, throwing the owner under the bus to excuse himself from the ugliness of these changes would be the opposite of that.  It also wouldn't be a good look to other owners.  

I honestly think it was most likely that Tepper simply made it clear in no uncertain terms that he is not happy about how things are going, and Ron knows that if things don't change he is done here, so he made these decisions out of desperation. 

Either way, I think it's clear that this is an all in move.  Ron's only chance of keeping his job is if these moves work and we finish the year strong...finishing no worse than 3-1 and beating NO at least once is a must.  But even then, it might be too late.     

Archived