• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Words from my source

juliosantos

FYI: Mike Freeman's report was probably what Taranto based his story on. The Freeman piece led Kyle Bailey to contact a couple of his own sources. Here's what came of that:

Also this...

Now, our buddy Zach of Roaring Riot made a very salient point. These situations are extremely fluid, meaning that what you hear now isn't necessarily set in stone. It might just be the direction that somebody is "leaning".

We'll see.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

FYI: Mike Freeman's report was probably what Taranto based his story on. The Freeman piece led Kyle Bailey to contact a couple of his own sources. Here's what came of that:

Also this...

Now, our buddy Zach of Roaring Riot made a very salient point. These situations are extremely fluid, meaning that what you hear now isn't necessarily set in stone. It might just be the direction that somebody is "leaning".

We'll see.

Ron's performance as Defensive Coordinator Monday night was a double edged sword.  On one hand it appears he still has what it takes as a DC by limiting one of the best offenses in the NFL to only 12 points.  On the other hand, he confirmed that Washington most likely was the biggest problem with the Panthers poor showing on D this season, but waited until our season was ruined to do anything about it.

Day late, dollar short Ron.

Should we give him another year?  Ron has a great defensive mind, but after 8 years, he is still slow to react to the ground moving beneath his feet and that may just cost him his job. 

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Should we give him another year?  Ron has a great defensive mind, but after 8 years, he is still slow to react to the ground moving beneath his feet and that may just cost him his job. 

No, I don’t think so. He’s had several opportunities to take the next step and just can’t get out of his own way. I’m a huge Rivera fan, but I think it’s time for an overhaul that starts at the top. I’d love to keep him as DC but don’t think that’s very practical. 

2 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Ron's performance as Defensive Coordinator Monday night was a double edged sword.  On one hand it appears he still has what it takes as a DC by limiting one of the best offenses in the NFL to only 12 points.  On the other hand, he confirmed that Washington most likely was the biggest problem with the Panthers poor showing on D this season, but waited until our season was ruined to do anything about it.

Day late, dollar short Ron.

Pretty much.

Pair this with the quote he gave to Jourdan Rodrigue about how he sees veterans and I think it's pretty clearly time to move on.

If he's kept, the hope is that you pair him with a better GM than Marty Hurney. But even there, I think his limitations are just  too deeply ingrained.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much.

Pair this with the quote he gave to Jourdan Rodrigue about how he sees veterans and I think it's pretty clearly time to move on.

If he's kept, the hope is that you pair him with a better GM than Marty Hurney. But even there, I think his limitations are just  too deeply ingrained.

Even with a better GM, Ron will still not put the best players on the field. He'll still have terrible game time management. Time to kick him out the door.

How long is too long to give someone a chance to transition from a great DC to a head coach capable of routinely making timely decisions?

I think keeping Ron gives you pretty much what we've had for eight years now, a roller coaster ride.  A team that is maddeningly inconsistent, rough around the edges and routinely fails to show any sense of urgency or killer instinct.

Could the Panthers do worse than Ron?  Absolutely, but if we really want to win a SB it might be time to move on from Rivera.

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

How long is too long to give someone a chance to transition from a great DC to a head coach capable of routinely making timely decisions?

I think keeping Ron gives you pretty much what we've had for eight years now, a roller coaster ride.  A team that is maddeningly inconsistent, rough around the edges and routinely fails to show any sense of urgency or killer instinct.

Could the Panthers do worse than Ron?  Absolutely, but if we really want to a SB trophy it might be time to move on from Rivera.

I'd vote for eight years.

Archived