• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We should let Daryl Williams walk

juliosantos

Here me out and let me explain ! 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but hear me out on this. Let Daryl Williams walk. Let me explain....

Reason 1: Daryl Williams allowed 39 QB pressures in 2017, his All Pro year. A year in which he needed help blocking from the TE on 19.6% of his snaps. That was 7th highest in the league. 

Taylor Moton allowed only 29 pressures in 15 games this year at RT. This was without much help from TEs. Why move him? 

Moton is much cheaper than Williams will be. Several experts have said that they don’t like the idea of moving Moton to LT. Also, Matt Kalil’s contract is pretty hard to get out of this year. 

Reason 2: Letting Williams walk would likely net a 3rd or 4th round comp pick, depending on the salary and playing time he gets for his new team. The fact that he barely played this year is irrelevant because playing time only affects comp value when on the new team. 

Let’s say Williams goes to the Giants and is reunited with the GM who drafted him. If they pay him $8m per year and he plays all 16 games, we will likely get a 4th round pick. If they pay him $10m per year and plays the majority of the snaps, we will get a 3rd round comp pick. Obviously the formula will be affected if we sign certain free agents prior to May 7th. 

Lane Johnson, a 2017 all pro RT, has an average salary of $10m per year. So it’s not outside the realm of possibilities that he will command that money. Especially since Johnson’s contract was signed a couple years ago and the amount generally goes up each year for all pro RTs. 

I’d love to have Williams back, but he wanted to break the bank last offseason when we were negotiating with him. We have way too many holes to fill to pay Williams top RT money when we have Moton there. Thoughts?

There's a Daryl Williams thread on the first page that was just started a few hours ago that has three pages of discussion. Why do you think every thought that comes through your head needs a new thread?

Why don't you be a man of your word and take a break for a few months like you said you would if your "source" was wrong?

11 minutes ago, juliosantos said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but hear me out on this. Let Daryl Williams walk. Let me explain....

Reason 1: Daryl Williams allowed 39 QB pressures in 2017, his All Pro year. A year in which he needed help blocking from the TE on 19.6% of his snaps. That was 7th highest in the league. 

Taylor Moton allowed only 29 pressures in 15 games this year at RT. This was without much help from TEs. Why move him? 

Moton is much cheaper than Williams will be. Several experts have said that they don’t like the idea of moving Moton to LT. Also, Matt Kalil’s contract is pretty hard to get out of this year. 

Reason 2: Letting Williams walk would likely net a 3rd or 4th round comp pick, depending on the salary and playing time he gets for his new team. The fact that he barely played this year is irrelevant because playing time only affects comp value when on the new team. 

Let’s say Williams goes to the Giants and is reunited with the GM who drafted him. If they pay him $8m per year and he plays all 16 games, we will likely get a 4th round pick. If they pay him $10m per year and plays the majority of the snaps, we will get a 3rd round comp pick. Obviously the formula will be affected if we sign certain free agents prior to May 7th. 

Lane Johnson, a 2017 all pro RT, has an average salary of $10m per year. So it’s not outside the realm of possibilities that he will command that money. Especially since Johnson’s contract was signed a couple years ago and the amount generally goes up each year for all pro RTs. 

I’d love to have Williams back, but he wanted to break the bank last offseason when we were negotiating with him. We have way too many holes to fill to pay Williams top RT money when we have Moton there. Thoughts?

I agree, let his fat delicious ass walk  

24 minutes ago, juliosantos said:

First off

Where are these so called experts who say they dont like Moton at LT.  I mean I know you getting your balls busted on here for your "source" dm'ing you on instagram.  But if you are refering the discussion in the other thread where 1-2 posters seem to think we dont like him at LT, you are way off.   There has been nothing stating that we dont like him there.  Infact, when he was there our staff had glowing remarks about him.  Then he had to shuffle around when injuries hit the OL

Secondly.  You arent just wishing on a comp a year later, you want a solid starter locked down, and he's proven that.

Thirdly, Lane Johnson has had MULTIPLE good season including Multiple all-pro seasons (2014 and 2017)

Williams has only a little over a year and a half as a starter.  And only 1 Big year.  PLUS he is coming off a knee injury.  Knee injuries and big men make teams cringe a bit.  So Williams only having 1 really good year and coming off a injury, he isnt going to come Close to Lane Johnson $$$. 

By this same thought, if Devin Funchess had a probowl season in 2017 but sat out this year with a torn Achiles, you think he'd still get top tier WR money off the 1 season. 2 years ago?

If you think a guy who has only shown 1 good season and coming off a season ending knee injury is going to come close to getting the same money as a Multi All-Pro  RT, well ive got some ocean front property to sell you in Nebraska

There are PLENTY of teams with 50+ in cap space, I could easily see him leaving by getting an offer he can not refuse.

Similar to the offer Denver gave an OL a while back, it was a 1 year( http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/03/18/contract-breakdown-russell-okungs-5-year-deal-includes-no-guaranteed-money/38914/ ) with a team option of 5 years 50 million. 

Just now, juliosantos said:

Keep it football related or don't post 

Check for existing threads that are currently being used before starting new threads. Starting new threads on the same subjects just creates fragmented conversations. You don't get any bonus points for being a thread starter. Conversation is conversation.

Or... better yet, just go away for a few months like you promised.

Archived