• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Olsen Debating Retiring

NJPanthers12

43 minutes ago, stbugs said:

No chance he’s going to retire, too much guaranteed money in 2019. Way more than he can make in a TV gig. That’ll be there one year later.

It might have been different if Hurney didn’t give him $12m guaranteed coming off an injury filled 2017. 

You are probably right, but Money is not always the major concern.  If Olsen has saved and invested well, could be that he won't care as much about the money as some would.  If he decides that he can't put his body thru another year of being pounded on, he might decide to walk away.  

43 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

One thing worth noting is that the Panthers don't HAVE to pursue that bonus money. They could let it ride and it would be the same as if we cut him. The other option would be to work out an injury settlement. If Greg decides to retire to pursue announcing that might be the most palatable option for both parties. Honestly if I'm Hurney I might preemptively float that option out there.

That’s still nearly a $4M cap hit if he retires after June 1st or over a $7M cap hit if he retires before June 1st. That’s a good amount of money for someone who isn’t going to be on the roster.

7 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

That’s still nearly a $4M cap hit if he retires after June 1st or over a $7M cap hit if he retires before June 1st. That’s a good amount of money for someone who isn’t going to be on the roster.

Which is why the injury settlement might be the way to go. Olsen could pull a Chris Gamble if he wants to. He could basically let it be known that he was done playing but not retire and force the Panthers to cut him. An injury settlement would allow both sides to walk away feeling good and still let Olsen walk away with a good chunk of change. I'm honestly not sure how injury settlements work in terms of cap ramifications or if his situation would qualify based on his progress, but if it's on the table it might be the best solution.

I love Greg but it’s time for a full on youth movement across the board on this team. Thomas had played great towards the end of the year. Can draft another mid round TE too. I’d actually like to go after Tyler Eifert as a pure red zone guy. He would fit great here if he can stay healthy. Obviously a question mark but will allow him to come pretty cheap.

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Which is why the injury settlement might be the way to go. Olsen could pull a Chris Gamble if he wants to. He could basically let it be known that he was done playing but not retire and force the Panthers to cut him. An injury settlement would allow both sides to walk away feeling good and still let Olsen walk away with a good chunk of change. I'm honestly not sure how injury settlements work in terms of cap ramifications or if his situation would qualify based on his progress, but if it's on the table it might be the best solution.

I also couldn't find any information on it either.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

And Gettleman was right. Kind of like giving Gano a top K contract after a shitty year. Why do you give an old TE a two year extension (70% guaranteed) with one year left on his current contract coming off a bad injury where he missed most of the season? At least wait till 2018 is over and he proves he can stay healthy, which he didn’t.

The point is thst I don't think it matters either way. When he wasn't willing to take care of Olsen and TD he was gone and JR was going to bring in a yes man who would. Either way, what was done was gonna get done.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

True and partially why I still think the nepotistic contract for Kalil was part of Jerry’s reign as well. Pretty rare for a GM to outlay that kind of money while getting fired for not spending more money and not even seeing 1 down of his biggest FA signing. TD is gone as soon as his contract was up without Jerry.

Maybe so. Who knows? Maybe Gettleman acquiesced on Kalil knowing he needed a LT anyway but refused to budge on Olsen and TD. Seems plausible.

Archived