• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Olsen Debating Retiring

NJPanthers12

5 minutes ago, blackcat said:

Also, it's not like he's going to be destitute if he doesn't work another day in his life, right?

Correct but he is trading one job for another. Admittedly, one takes far less of a toll physically but work is still work. There is no way I would not play out this last year of the contract, if I were him. That said, I would like to see him retire so we can regain that cap money. It doesn't seem likely he will be able to stay healthy for a full season, unfortunately. Outside of the injury concern, it will be great to have him back.

30 minutes ago, usmcpanthers said:

Seriously, I got a poop emoji for this wtf? You guys really want Olsen gone, man people have short memories and turn on players so fast!

The Carolina Panthers are not a nonprofit. It's a business meant to make profit. Winning is good for the bottom line.

8 minutes ago, ChibCU said:

The Carolina Panthers are not a nonprofit. It's a business meant to make profit. Winning is good for the bottom line.

And to me, if the doctors say he can play, he should. BTW the huddle isn't a community of medical professionals, even though they believe they are. Having Greg on the field makes us better and puts more profits in our business organization and a better chance at winning. I also believe Greg has earned the right to make his own decision. One of the best tight ends we have ever had. Also if he gets hurt again, Ian Thomas flashed. We always have a receiving tight end and a blocking tight end. The only time we have ever had two catch catching tight ends was Olsen and Shockey.. Bottom line, bringing Greg back is much better than letting him go.

you know, sometimes i wonder if you guys would actually rather have your mediocre team with your wholesome feel good happy player stories than see them become a consistent force in the nfc

i appreciate everything greg has done but i’m getting tired of this schtick. it’s almost march and this team hasn’t played a game in three months. if your heart’s not fully in it then pass the mantle over to someone who is.

1 hour ago, frash.exe said:

you know, sometimes i wonder if you guys would actually rather have your mediocre team with your wholesome feel good happy player stories than see them become a consistent force in the nfc

i appreciate everything greg has done but i’m getting tired of this schtick. it’s almost march and this team hasn’t played a game in three months. if your heart’s not fully in it then pass the mantle over to someone who is.

Sometimes?

We have fans that still think we should have signed Norman to the deal the Skins gave him....who cried when Steve was cut, and support "farewell" tours in the NFL.

I seriously scratch my head at half the poo I read on this board.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Sometimes?

We have fans that still think we should have signed Norman to the deal the Skins gave him....who cried when Steve was cut, and support "farewell" tours in the NFL.

I seriously scratch my head at half the poo I read on this board.

god forbid we have a GM that makes any hard decisions

21 hours ago, Paintballr said:

He has 18.6 million reasons to continue playing this year and next. Unless fox or others guarantee him that much he will stay and play

G-Reg got money.  G-Reg gonna make legit money away from football.  Last 2 seasons have been bad on his body.  He is definitely smart enough to weight the risk/reward of another season of football on a body that didn't make it through the last two seasons. 

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Would have been nice but who knows if Whitworth would have been interested. After a career in Cincy, going to LA may have been what he wanted. We’ve just wasted so much money the past two offseasons, it’s ridiculous. 

Yep. Our last two free agency classes and been roaring dumpster fires.

Greg is smart.  When you slow down, play hurt, you are more  exposed and vulnerable.  All of these players know they are one play away from the  a permanent injury or CTE is on the horizon.  It is not all about money.  If I made  $30 m in 10 years, money  would  not be an issue in my life.  He has made more.

If he invested $25m, he could earn a very modest 6% per  year.  That  is over $1m per  year for life.

You have to look at the big  picture.  His son needs him.  His wife does as well, and not in  diapers and a walker with a dribble cup for the slobber.

13 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I can’t believe so many want him to retire. Greg has been an amazing player for us and was an iron man before his foot gave out the last two years. If it is fully healed I would absolutely want him back, not only because it would be fugging amazing to have DJ Moore, Samuel, Wright, Olsen, and Thomas on a 5 wide play (how could anyone defend that???) but I believe he is absolutely needed as a leader on offense. Greg and Ryan Kalil were the leaders of the group other than Cam and with both gone, it may not work out so well with so many lead by example guys. No matter what anyone says, you need guys like Greg to get everyone’s sh*t together in rough times. 

He's a quality guy, no doubt.  What I do doubt is that his foot will ever be 100% again.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:33 PM, NJPanthers12 said:

Apparently has big offers from ESPN and Fox 

https://nyp.st/2IzDuxs

Or is he working the idiot Marty Hurney for yet another ridiculous contract extension? Last time Olsen was whining 88 was on a cap friendly contract. Then the idiot Marty Hurney stepped in and extended him simply because Olsen was bitching. Now we're stuck with an over priced injury prone 30 something tight end. This is cap money poorly spent as it has been in Panther history. See Deangelo Williams, Jonathon Stewart, et al. Now we've locked up Eric Reid on a high priced deal, Tepper needs to pull his head out of his ass before the idiot Marty Hurney once again puts us in Cap purgatory. 

Archived