• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riot Report: The Case For Matt Kalil - Why Bringing Him Back Is A Good Idea

Saca312

Just now, KendrickPanther said:

I don't think we have significant financial incentive to cut him. With that being the case, he might as well stick around and do his best.

It's already been rehashed repeatedly. We save $7.25M this year by making him a post-June 1st cut.

3 minutes ago, KendrickPanther said:

I don't think we have significant financial incentive to cut him. With that being the case, he might as well stick around and do his best.

His best is barely worth league minimum. I don't understand why people continue to think he can be a good player. He had one good season, his rookie season. He has never played well since then.

It's a bad idea and a flawed argument. The money approach is decent in a bubble because it is true that the question 'could we find better with the savings of June 1st cutting him' is valid. Even the 'the next guy would be an unknown, what if he is terrible' angle is partially true if you discount actually trying to improve or basically just coming out and saying we are not the best equipped at talent evaluation. Then it all falls apart because we would still have to have to have a replacement ready because the guy can't stay healthy. Try this angle, 'who will we sign to play all of those games that this guy will not be able to play with all that money less in cap'? That one works with Greg too. Greg will always be missed and Matt will always be  the one I will wish I could forget forever. He can't stay healthy and wishing it or even saying it's possible has to be followed by an it's not very likely though (holds true for both...sign). So this might already be a new reality but nothing changes the fact that we have to have someone on the roster this year that can play when Matt isn't here or isn't healthy...yet again. Hopefully, it won't need to come from a JAG sitting on a couch...yet again.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed on Moton to LT. He looked better in his one game there than Kalil has since his rookie season. I think we're highly unlikely to land someone this off-season who is a better LT in 2019 than Taylor Moton. That includes Matt Kalil, any possible FA and any possible draft pick.

Disagree on Daryl. If the medical team is red flagging that knee we gotta let him walk. Throwing good money after bad at OT isn't going to help us. If he's healthy, we should try to re-sign him. If someone wants to massively overpay him, wish him the best of luck. But if he's healthy and we can get him for a market value starting RT contract, we should absolutely keep him. If not, we should absolutely pursue other FA options and/or look to draft an OT early.

I’ve been skeptical about DW for many of the reasons you listed. And he’s not ever going to sniff time at LT. So giving him 10M/yr is tough for me to see happening. But it sure isn’t a reason to keep Kalil. Those two aren’t the only OTs in existence. 

Give Moton a one year audition. They need to find out what he’s capable of. Much easier to find a RT in 2nd-4th round. Use DWs money for Paradis. 

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I’ve been skeptical about DW for many of the reasons you listed. And he’s not ever going to sniff time at LT. So giving him 10M/yr is tough for me to see happening. But it sure isn’t a reason to keep Kalil. Those two aren’t the only OTs in existence. 

Give Moton a one year audition. They need to find out what he’s capable of. Much easier to find a RT in 2nd-4th round. Use DWs money for Paradis. 

I wish it was easy to find quality starting RTs but it's not. That's how we end up with guys like Byron Bell, Mike Remmers, etc. starting a lot of games for us there. 

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wish it was easy to find quality starting RTs but it's not. That's how we end up with guys like Byron Bell, Mike Remmers, etc. starting a lot of games for us there. 

Easier. Not easy. But compared to LT, it is.  So is every other position but QB.... maybe. 

The fact that we were something like 26-4 with Remmers as our starting RT is a perfect example of the difference in the positions. Bell would have been better if he were right-Han....lol, I couldn’t even finish. 

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Easier. Not easy. But compared to LT, it is.  So is every other position but QB.... maybe. 

The fact that we were something like 26-4 with Remmers as our starting RT is a perfect example of the difference in the positions. Bell would have been better if he were right-Han....lol, I couldn’t even finish. 

You can compensate somewhat for one subpar OT, but when you're weak at both you're screwed. And honestly, Remmers played very well for us foe the mast part he just had one glaring weakness and that was speed rushers. It was on Shula that he did nothing to compensate for that weakness when facing elite speed rushers.

There is no case to be made to being this guy back. He is terrible. Comes out and says this is the healthiest I've been and then gets hurt in preseason to only say oh I've been hurt since start of training camp. What a bum we don't need his ass. If Panthers keep him they are dumb as hell, but they kept Rivera too so they might be anyway. I'm starting to wonder about Tepper on the football side of things, not a good look so far imo.

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Me too. Just saying a broken Williams is better than a healthy Kalil.

Really gotta disagree here.

I mean, just look at the pressure/qb hits from the Saints Panthers wildcard alone. Daryl Williams was abysmal that game.

I just have high doubts for a guy who also seemingly is inconsistent yet gets a pass due to his all-pro label. Film I saw concerns me. 

3 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

Comes out and says this is the healthiest I've been and then gets hurt in preseason to only say oh I've been hurt since start of training camp.

This is a legitimate argument against bringing back Matt Kalil over Daryl Williams. I agree to it.

If the concern is over whether Matt Kalil can stay healthy, then yes I can see the argument.

I have my doubts about Williams too in terms of paying him elite RT money. You're basically paying based on one year and he's coming off of a season ending knee injury. That's a tall ask.

I have no doubts about Matt Kalil. He's subpar, he's injury prone, and we need to bite that bullet.

38 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Really gotta disagree here.

I mean, just look at the pressure/qb hits from the Saints Panthers wildcard alone. Daryl Williams was abysmal that game.

I just have high doubts for a guy who also seemingly is inconsistent yet gets a pass due to his all-pro label. Film I saw concerns me. 

Im sorry I like most what you post on here.  But you are way off on this one

This is about uo there with the, how great Daryl Worley thread was and how he improved etc etc

Williams all depends on dollar amount and imo him getting hurt didn't do him any favors. With that said cutting Malik would be stupid with his cap numbers. The only thing that is certain is that Moton is a gem and can play both positions. Me personally would like to see him protect Cams blindside side and test kalil on the right. 

Archived