• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have spent "considerable time" with Will Grier

Mr. Scot

Gantt's take (link)

The Panthers have a former MVP quarterback, but he’s coming off shoulder surgery and only has two years left on his contract.

So it makes sense that they’re looking at options there.

They saved a little money (on Grier's visit), since he grew up near Charlotte, but he’s one of several quarterbacks they’ve done their research on (including a visit by Auburn’s Jarrett Stidham).

While they might not be prepared to look for (or admit looking for) a long-term replacement for Cam Newton, they at least need a better grade of backup, as the options on hand are Taylor Heinicke and Kyle Allen.

17 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

This place would implode if we took a QB at #47

I think people should think what if Cam's shoulder does the same thing. Are u saying u think we can go to playoffs with Kyle Allen lmao. People are crazy to think what he did against saints makes him the backup. I hope we get Grier he is the sleeper QB of the draft. People need to wake up and understand that Cam might not be ever right again. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we take a QB earlier than the 4th with needs all over the roster that pretty much confirms there are serious concerns about Cam's shoulder within the Panthers' organization. Based on the past two seasons, that wouldn't necessarily be surprising.

Sorry but Kyle Allen isn't the answer and we can't keep waisting these guys careers. Luke & CMC need a championship. 

39 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

Spending a 2nd or 3rd on a guy who will never see the field would be the worst decision possible

Unless the team knows something we don’t about Cam’s shoulder situation...

Stidham is interesting.

That completion percentage dropped drastically this year but his TD/INT ratio was almost identical. I'd also say that the drop in his completion percentage could also be due to the fact that Auburn had to be pretty darn close to having the worst drop rate in the NCAA last year, his receivers dropped everything.

The offense he was in this year was pretty basic and boring (similar to the offense that Clausen was in) but he did show the prior year that he has the ability to not only make NFL throws but also cycle through his reads.

I'd prefer Grier but I wouldn't take a QB before the 4th round. Stidham could more than likely be had in the 5th.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we take a QB earlier than the 4th with needs all over the roster that pretty much confirms there are serious concerns about Cam's shoulder within the Panthers' organization. Based on the past two seasons, that wouldn't necessarily be surprising.

Not necessarily, it all depends on the QB and when we take him. If there’s a first round graded QB sitting there in the second round, regardless of Cam’s situation you take him. Pats and Aints among other teams with top QBs have taken QBs high. Now if we take someone like Grier in the second round yeah that’s a reach and is very telling.

Archived