• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your 2019 Carolina Panthers running backs

Jeremy Igo

It's time to bring some fresh talent into the fold in the backfield behind CMC. Nick Goings has had more success than Artis-Payne running the football for the Carolina Panthers. At some point you have to raise the bar.

If McC plays the snaps he did last year and stays healthy it doesn’t even matter who the number 2 is. I don’t agree with that strategy but until we see it change I would assume that’s what we’ll do again. Cam will basically be the number 2 RB....

4 hours ago, TheRed said:

It's time to bring some fresh talent into the fold in the backfield behind CMC. Nick Goings has had more success than Artis-Payne running the football for the Carolina Panthers. At some point you have to raise the bar.

It may be time to get someone else but honestly CAP has never really been given a chance. It's sad but he has been wasted and I fear the same will be for any back up here. They don't want anyone really running the ball outside of CMC , Moore, or a little Cam. The person will have to be satisfied with 10 carries a yr. I may be stretching it there with 10.

15 minutes ago, TheRed said:

With a surgically repaired throwing shoulder?

source-18040bcc1a38609ab.gif

My preference would be his only runs are opportunity scrambles and designed runs only in must convert short yard situations, nothing else. But do you really expect anything different?

CAP is not a seasoned vet, and Ron has shown little love of what he brings to the table. 

He's had every chance to earn more time in practice, yet still gets hardly any game time.  Nothing about his time here indicates the coaches have any real trust in him.  So, I don't see him making the squad.  And if he isn't clearly a step up from the other guys, it makes no sense to keep a guy who's pretty maxed out over young players with the potential to develop.

Scarlett is clearly making the team, and does everything CAP does, but better.  If CAP brought some unique skillset to the table, maybe, but there's nothing unique about him or his game.  His only chance is that both Holyfield and Bonnafon show nothing, which I don't think is likely.  I expect either or both to show that they are worth keeping as a 3rd back.  

7 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

That may well be so but, if he is an NFL beast, that will mean he will become something he never was in the SEC.

Some lesser players actually *do* bloom and are even better at the next level and become something they never were before, so I guess it could happen.

This.  Scarlett was mediocre in the SEC and I was pretty shocked he was drafted.  Think he had like 700 yards last year.  Holyfield on the other hand was a beast, played behind Swift yet still ran for over 1,000 while averaging 6.5 yards per carry.  Neither of them did much in terms of receiving.   Report that Holyfield had a good day of practice today and has been the last player to leave every day so far.  Wouldn’t surprise me one bit for him to make the roster.  

10 hours ago, BrianS said:

I think CAP makes the team only because he's cheap, but long term I hope Scarlett becomes #2.

Oh please, CAP has been a wasted spot of the roster for years! If Holyfield continues his hot start in Red Zone practice to the pre-season there is no way he doesn't make the team. The only way CAP makes the team is if Armah doesn't. CAP is gone, deal with it!

Archived