• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carnival Row

twylyght

I've heard some fairly negative responses to it, so I'm going to check it out once I finish Dark Crystal on Netflix (which is super cool!).

Visually, it looks stunning.  I hope it's better than the reviews state.  I feel like a lot of sci-fi reviews aren't very telling.  I'll read something that talks about how issues outside of the fantasy elements, ignoring them, but when I sit down to watch, I love it.

But it looks super cool with the 19th century meets D&D races and magic.  

7 hours ago, Bronn said:

I haven't watched this and probably won't, but every time I see a commercial, I think of China Mieville's Bas-Lag books.

They take place in a world that I picture looking like this world looks, from the previews, at least.

It's very much in the vein of a Penny Dreadful with del Toro tossed in for fantasy world building

On 9/3/2019 at 6:00 PM, Dex said:

On the surface it is GORGEOUS! The world building is awesome. But that's it. If you're looking for a complex fantasy drama with structure then this ain't it. Suffers from the Altered Carbon syndrome.

Ya I’ve had my doubts. Almost done with RKM’s newest book, which just succeeded in infuriating the real altered carbon sense in me. They have a lot of making up to do in season 2. 

Finished the show. Enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing but it was good and kept me interested. As has been said, the world building is fantastic. I also thought the acting was good. Themes were great but felt a little obvious. The twist that I thought was a big one was true but not a big twist. The final twist I figured out but not until episode 7. It's set up to take a different and possibly more interesting tact in season 2 (assuming there is one). There's a ton of shows to watch these days and I'd say this one is worth the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, Bronn said:

I haven't watched this and probably won't, but every time I see a commercial, I think of China Mieville's Bas-Lag books.

They take place in a world that I picture looking like this world looks, from the previews, at least.

So much this!

The wife and I are struggling to find a part of the story to hook into.  So far (4ep in) its beautiful but sleep inducing.

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

The misses and I watched Downton Abbey as well.  Its pretty damn brilliant 

We stopped at episode 2 season 6 were cheap waiting for the movie to show up on Amazon prime before we finish up.

I'm still processing a person who left the show wont say who dont know where your at. 

Downtown abbey is easy one of the top 10 TV series of all time.

Archived