• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King actually somewhat optimistic about Cam

JawnyBlaze

FMIA

Someone hacked Peter King’s account and actually wrote not-negative things about Cam and the start of his season:

c. Remember Newton’s words to me in the summer: “So at this point in my career, it’s not about velocity. It’s not about throwing a ball 70 yards. It’s about efficient football that’s gonna win football games.” The point is: Newton is changing. He looks bad now, but give him time to change, and let’s see where he is in, say, Week 6 or 7.

d. Newton is still a work in progress, nine months after shoulder surgery. I think it’s wrong to micro-analyze him every week.

This was prefaced by him saying he didn’t like Cam’s accuracy in week 2, but I think we can all agree that’s fair lol

What do people think will be happening Week 6 that wasn't happening on Thursday? Some of Cam's misses were under heavy duress, but not all of them were. Cam has had clean pockets on occasion in Weeks 1 and 2 where he badly missed open receivers. How can that be attributed to a new focus on "efficient football"? 

The funny thing about all of this is that. Yes, Cam is unable to toss the ball 70 yards in the air of his back foot but his arm is still better than 90 percent of the Qbs in the NFL. He just need to focus on the fundamentals and the Panthers need to give him a line that doesnt suck ass. The difference between Cam and Dak right now is that Dak can cook a steak dinner while going though his progressions and Cam never makes it past his first read because of the poor line play. 

7 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

What do people think will be happening Week 6 that wasn't happening on Thursday? Some of Cam's misses were under heavy duress, but not all of them were. Cam has had clean pockets on occasion in Weeks 1 and 2 where he badly missed open receivers. How can that be attributed to a new focus on "efficient football"? 

Occasional clean pockets and a turnstile LT lead to seeing "ghosts" and causes almost any qb to force the ball out quick. We need little or a LT with quicker feet in there so Cam can play like he did early last season.

1 minute ago, Matt62881 said:

Occasional clean pockets and a turnstile LT lead to seeint "ghosts" and causes almost any qb to force the ball out quick. We need little or a LT with quicker feet in there so Cam can play like he did eaely last season.

Switch Moton and Williams 

8 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

I mean how long has it been since he's been in a real live game at real game speed? A long ass time. Nobody should expect his touch and timing to be perfect right now. Most years he plays 3-4 preseason games and looks pretty off but starts throwing better at the start of the season. He didn't get a preseason this year. It's fair to give him until weeks 5-7 to see where he is then

Just now, jfra78 said:

Switch Moton and Williams 

Is williams the same tackle he used to be even or are speed rushers still going to destroy him on the outside because of that injury? Should he transition to guard? I do agree though flipping them gives us a better chance to win.

13 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

What do people think will be happening Week 6 that wasn't happening on Thursday? 

By week 6, Cam will have had four more weeks of playing at game speed with the new throwing motion. The optimist in me says its like trying a new golf swing. Your golf score tends to get worse before it gets better.

It's not that he's a bad QB, he can definitely still play. It's that his general attitude on the field paired with a long losing streak and multiple injuries is making many people think that mentally and emotionally, he is finished. And it's valid speculation.

Maybe some winning will fix that, who knows. I don't know if time is going to fix a problem that goes much deeper than a change to his throwing motion.

I think Cam can work through this, but we gotta get better LT play. Whether it's flip flopping Moton and Williams or throwing Little into the flames, we gotta try something. Williams isn't the answer at LT. Unfortunately, unless Tepper steps in and forces a change it's highly unlikely that Ron will make that change. The guy is as stubborn as anyone I've ever seen with lineup changes.

12 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

I mean how long has it been since he's been in a real live game at real game speed? A long ass time. Nobody should expect his touch and timing to be perfect right now. Most years he plays 3-4 preseason games and looks pretty off but starts throwing better at the start of the season. He didn't get a preseason this year. It's fair to give him until weeks 5-7 to see where he is then

Before Thursday? I believe it was last Sunday and he actually played worse on Thursday than he did Sunday.

It's Year 9 for Cam, just how long does it take for him to remember how to play football?

Archived