• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam’s 16 throws before halftime after the apparent foot injury

ellis

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Do we believe that the foot injury is enough to explain that problem?

8 hours ago, Bartin said:

I can’t think of a single reason why a sprain to his lead foot would cause him to be so wild throwing right while being completely fine throwing to the middle and left.

Watch his footwork throughout both halves. He rarely plants when he’s throwing to the right. He does this weird kind of half skip motion. I don’t think that’s injury related unless it’s he can’t plant well at that angle. But some throws he realigns his whole body and he’s bang on, on the right side. 

Another thing I noticed there . . . and I'm almost ashamed to say it . . . but the vast majority of those throws featured a relatively clean pocket at the time the ball was released.  11 out of 16 throws in fact looked good.  One of the "dirty" pockets was a designed screen where the DL was invited up field.

No excuses that he wasn't able to step into the throw.

9 hours ago, Bartin said:

I have a theory that it’s based on his footwork where he opens his body with his lead leg when he throws rather than stepping into it so a throw to the right opens his body to the target even more than it would when he throws middle or left which means it’s more of an arm throw and his shoulder can’t handle the extra load.

I think you're right about that.  Looks like his front side is coming open too fast on those throws to the right which is causing his ball to sail on him. Looks like on throws to the left he is forced to keep his shoulders tight because he is throwing to the opposite side.  Been one of his major mechanical problems his entire career.

5 hours ago, SBiii said:

Yips?

When the "new & improved throwing motion" slobbering was going on there was some concern that under game conditions there could be some negative fallout....

....namely in the form of the yips.

Baseball players get it, certain pitchers & short-stops all of a sudden lose the ability to throw to 1st base.

Golf, often players get the yips with the putter or driver and can't hole out or keep it in-bounds depending on the shot.  Yips have killed LOTS of golf careers.

I'm pulling for Cam but many of those throws were just god-awful.....very yip like.

Oh God, remember Rick Ankiel and Chuck Knoblauch?

Sore arm, sore foot?  Blah blah blah.....still made bad throws and completely missed receivers getting seperation.  If the coaching staff and docs thought he could still play for the win, he should have done so, period.  Otherwise sit yo ass out and continue to "rest" and think about your next fashion statement!

4 hours ago, BrianS said:

Another thing I noticed there . . . and I'm almost ashamed to say it . . . but the vast majority of those throws featured a relatively clean pocket at the time the ball was released.  11 out of 16 throws in fact looked good.  One of the "dirty" pockets was a designed screen where the DL was invited up field.

No excuses that he wasn't able to step into the throw.

That was the bothersome part.  If he had hands in his face every throw...yea, I can see rust, timing, foot, etc....

Unfortunately that wasn't the case.  Now he could be seeing hands and bodies that aren't there, ala David Carr, but that's something all together different.

Take some rest, heal whatever's ailing ya, and come back when you are ready Cam.

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Based on what I know of passing mechanics, I can't either.

So then the next step would be to ask if it's not that, what else could it be?

Ron said the foot wasn’t an issue when asked by Person. Then he started saying “we don’t trust the” and stopped. 

3 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Ron said the foot wasn’t an issue when asked by Person. Then he started saying “we don’t trust the” and stopped. 

I've seen a few different people talk about that.

In my mind, The most logical next word in that sentence is "shoulder" but I'm open to hearing other suggestions.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've seen a few different people talk about that.

In my mind, The most logical next word in that sentence is "shoulder" but I'm open to hearing other suggestions.

Same as it ever was.

I feel like I'm the only person around here who didn't take the "shoulder is all good" and "dropping bomb all over the field" bait during TC?

The foot is one thing, looked like Lisfranc to me when he got hurt, and that's not great.  However, the shoulder is something else entirely, and I'm not convinced in the least that it's healed, nor can it hold up to an NFL season, and offseason.

Hope I'm wrong.

18 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Same as it ever was.

I feel like I'm the only person around here who didn't take the "shoulder is all good" and "dropping bomb all over the field" bait during TC?

The foot is one thing, looked like Lisfranc to me when he got hurt, and that's not great.  However, the shoulder is something else entirely, and I'm not convinced in the least that it's healed, nor can it hold up to an NFL season, and offseason.

Hope I'm wrong.

You're not the only one.

You've probably seen me say, in response to numerous early season questions, suggestions and analyses, "Talk to me again in Week 10". I try never to forget that the season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Archived