• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did we land 2 capable LTs in the draft???

Matt62881

What a performance depending on how yall feel about pff or how much help he got but still shaq B. Was on him all game wasnt he??? We all know Little has played at least better then any Lt since Gross...so did Hurney really knock the draft out of the park like this! Wow

Dennis Daley

For a sixth-round draft pick making just his second start, it doesn’t get much better than this. Daley was impressive in pass protection, allowing just one hit from 36 pass-rushing snaps, and he really impressed as a run blocker, producing an 86.0 PFF run-blocking grade in the game.

Think Daley ends up at LG.  

More power.  Also Little is essentially only capable of playing LT.

But those 2 together on the Left side apears like it is going to be something special.  Now if Paradis can live up to his Billing, this OL is going to be Legit

2 minutes ago, GreensboroPirate said:

Our greatest weakness going into the draft was left tackle, and pash rush

Hurney manages to draft Brian Burns late in the 1st round, and Christian Miller (who has looked amazing when healthy) late in the draft.

Two stud left tackles in the 2nd and 6th rounds, a position that had been neglected since Jordan Gross retired (who Hurney also drafted).

Hurney picks up Kyle Allen as an undrafted guy.

The most insane thing I'v ever seen in sports fandom was how much people hated Marty Hurney, the guy who drafted 10 out of the 11 pro bowlers on our Super Bowl team.

He's a great general manager, just as he always was, and we should be giving him a massive extension.  People who complain about the occasional mid round bust must think Bill Belichick has never drafted anyone bad in the middle rounds (let alone the 1st round).

101-113

Definitely promising, but I’m also curious how he’d fare against more of a power/bull-rusher. So far, Barrett and Ngakoue are both very good pass rushers, but they’re the same kind of smaller speed/finesse rushers. Some tackles excel against one type and struggle against the other, so if we have the rare breed who can just stonewall whoever is across from him, then damn that would be amazing.

Yea even if one day ron and company are gone, Hurney has done his job to good to be with that group...i mean wow look how much hes hit on! This team is so talented and fairly young there is no excuse for us not to get a SB soon...and his FA have been good too!

3 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Definitely promising, but I’m also curious how he’d fare against more of a power/bull-rusher. So far, Barrett and Ngakoue are both very good pass rushers, but they’re the same kind of smaller speed/finesse rushers. Some tackles excel against one type and struggle against the other, so if we have the rare breed who can just stonewall whoever is across from him, then damn that would be amazing.

From my experience and i could be wrong, speed rushers are always harder to defend! Look at Remmers and about any other decent LT weve had.

Just now, GreensboroPirate said:

You're only as good as your franchise quarterback, and the Panthers were never bad enough after Jake to draft one high in the draft until 2011.

Unfortunately for Hurney, when he got the opportunity to draft a franchise quarterback in the first round, he was fired, and Gettleman got the credit for the Cam Newton led team he had built.

And if you're going to say he did a poor job at evaluating quarterbacks

He drafted Cam Newton and signed Kyle Allen as an UDFA.

200+ games isn't exactly a small sample size. I like the moves he's making in his second go round, but I haven't forgotten him torpedoing us with awful contracts and hellacious cap issues that got him fired the first time. I'm going to be a little cautious.

2 minutes ago, GreensboroPirate said:

You're only as good as your franchise quarterback, and the Panthers were never bad enough after Jake to draft one high in the draft until 2011.

Unfortunately for Hurney, when he got the opportunity to draft a franchise quarterback in the first round, he was fired, and Gettleman got the credit for the Cam Newton led team he had built.

And if you're going to say he did a poor job at evaluating quarterbacks

He drafted Cam Newton and signed Kyle Allen as an UDFA.

I also truly think hurney sat back and learned during the Gettleman years and truly came back a better GM...if he can somehow move the cap around and keep this team in tact for the forseable future....man he will be one of the better GMs in the league.

Archived