• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you sign Josh Gordon?

SgtJoo

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Or they were using that success with Moss to say let’s give older studs another chance. That’s what the Pats do. Holt and Wayne were done after trying out. It’s not like they were still #1s anymore.

I don't think current day Brady as the arm to fully take advantage of a traditional #1 WR on the outside anymore.   Doesn't have the arm to hit routes on the outside like he use to.  And the offense is fine with that and evolved into a system that barely thinks about such things.  

Brady probably dreams of hitting an out route like Cam Newton.  He is way to smart to think he can attempt those anymore.  Same with a lot of the different vertical throws. 

I'm not advocating for Gordon really.  I simply don't think he fits in NE and it is just that simple.  Because he plays on the outside.  It is clear from the past view years they don't put a lot of value on the outside WR like most teams. I mean maybe he had something happen we don't about happen.  But I think that type WR isn't worth their time.  So if there is any hiccup? They move on.  In this case it was an injury.  They can line anyone on the outside in NE because it simply isn't a primary read in the way they operate and want to operate. 

19 hours ago, CRA said:

I don't think current day Brady as the arm to fully take advantage of a traditional #1 WR on the outside anymore.   Doesn't have the arm to hit routes on the outside like he use to.  And the offense is fine with that and evolved into a system that barely thinks about such things.  

Brady probably dreams of hitting an out route like Cam Newton.  He is way to smart to think he can attempt those anymore.  Same with a lot of the different vertical throws. 

I'm not advocating for Gordon really.  I simply don't think he fits in NE and it is just that simple.  Because he plays on the outside.  It is clear from the past view years they don't put a lot of value on the outside WR like most teams. I mean maybe he had something happen we don't about happen.  But I think that type WR isn't worth their time.  So if there is any hiccup? They move on.  In this case it was an injury.  They can line anyone on the outside in NE because it simply isn't a primary read in the way they operate and want to operate. 

Problem with this theory is that by all reports Gordon's much slower these days

I have a buddy that plays with the Patriots now, and he says Josh is a cool guy that doesn't bother anybody. It's more of a schematic issue with the Patriots being a Run first team that then goes from the inside on out. The traditional X receivers in NE have had limited roles/production in that offense for years. Gordon is still a special talent, the patriots are doing him a favor. 2 years to recover and get his life right. Now he can be picked up by another team that's utilizes X receivers. Thinking Green Bay, Buffalo, Panthers, (Maybe) Chiefs

1 hour ago, Raleigh PF said:

Tom Curran of NBCSportsBoston.com said this morning on PFT Live that there were rumblings in New England about the team having problems with Gordon being late to meetings, coaches having a hard time locating him, and generally Gordon not displaying the kind of work ethic that Bill Belichick demands.

“He was showing signs of undependability,” Curran said of Gordon.

It didn’t help that Gordon was far from great this season, catching just 20 passes for 287 yards in the six games he started. Perhaps if Gordon had played like he did at his best, Belichick would have tolerated the other stuff. But the combination of a lack of productivity and questionable practice habits led to a quick exit.

Archived