• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetical: IF Cam is done for the year and we miss the playoffs.......

ncfan

In my humble opinion we will likely see this play out only 1 way at this point.

This is coming from looking at our current W/L record, getting the news of Cam needing more time, us getting thoroughly embarrassed in SF, and looking at the rest of the schedule we, and the other front runners in the NFC face.

It looks as if we likely miss the playoffs, and I'm all in on my thinking that it was a playoffs or bust year for Ron and Marty.  Now we don't know if that was the law that was laid down or not, but I do think that is the case.  There are some real football moves that should have been done before now if they both were going to be in the picture longer than this year that simply haven't happened.

So, that means that Ron and Marty are sent packing, as they should be.

Now, Cam has 1 more "cheap" year on his contract.  If he can get healthy, and I mean all but 100% healthy, I think that he stays for one more season with the new coach and GM to try to see if he can STAY healthy, which he must do to earn another cent from the Panthers.

That said, I will not fault Cam one bit if he wants a change of scenery, or if he decides to retire, those things are just too far out there to really look into.

So we get a new coach, new GM, and a once great QB on a prove it deal trying to either earn another large contract, or to see if his days as a Panther are over.

I do think that there is a possibility that Tepper would force his new coach and GM to cut ties with Cam, and forge a new path.  This doesn't make as much sense to me, but I can see him being frustrated at this point about holding onto some of the stench from the previous regime, and wanting EVERYTHING Jerry, Ron, and Marty out of the building, and that includes Cam.  Again, this doesn't make as much sense, but I think it could happen, just not as likely.

On 11/2/2019 at 6:01 AM, WarHeel said:

Yeah we really need to quit blaming Rivera for players not taking responsibility for their own self awareness. The bias is obvious.

Sure Cam said I can play, but he looks like he is hurt visibly. Yes, coach I am fine, but I can not run or cut. I mean what kind of practice are you running.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:28 PM, Mr. Scot said:

If we don't, spending 20 million on a quarterback you have no ties with for a year of seeing whether he can play is a pretty tough sell.

That brings up another question, I suppose. Would you keep Rivera as head coach if it meant the difference between whether or not we retain Newton?

To your first point, I don’t agree. $20M non-guaranteed for one year is absolutely nothing for a starting QB these days. Especially one who is a former MVP and was playing at an MVP level as recently as early 2018 season. Yes the injuries are a huge cause for concern, but for a new staff coming in you’d have to see what you have in him first, UNLESS a team comes calling with an offer you can’t refuse (very possible, and honestly could be as little as a first round pick). This is all assuming though that Kyle doesn’t show enough to be presumed a starter.

Cam wouldn’t factor into my decision on Ron if I was Tepper.

8 minutes ago, Darvinsun said:

Sure Cam said I can play, but he looks like he is hurt visibly. Yes, coach I am fine, but I can not run or cut. I mean what kind of practice are you running.

My thing is if you don't know that anything is wrong with him, how the hell do you call that bullsh-t play at the end of the Tampa game?

Soooo

Now what?

I dont think Cam will be here next year as he will go with the current staff.

Now for Allen.

The team has looked good when he can hand the ball off to CMC and he has a big game.   And the D has a Big game.

If Cam and Ron go, its assumed Norv will go as well.  How will Allen do in a offense where he is required to do more than hand the ball off a ton and manage throwing a bunch of short passes.  The cats out the bag, he's a terrible deep passer.  Do we draft someone in rd 1 to compete with Allen?

3 hours ago, Darvinsun said:

A player can mask a lot despite the pain. Let’s start treating these guys like they’re grown men and assume they can relay the proper message to the staff when they are not where they need to be to physically perform. 

On 11/1/2019 at 2:22 PM, ncfan said:

1.  Does Rivera lose his job?  I think We know the answer to this as @Jeremy Igo has noted this past year.

2. Whats Cam's future with a new staff?  He will be on his last year of his deal, coming off another injury.  Does the new staff want to hold onto him his last year?  Or atleast try to get something for him.

3. QB and the Draft?  Is it out of the Question that we could draft a QB in the 1st?  New Staff like their guy.   We saw this with Rivera grabbing Newton after Jimmy Clausen was just drafted in the 2nd the year prior. Tepper wants to win.  We saw Philly gets aggressive and move of for Carson Wentz becausr they thought they had all the tools elsewhere and were just a QB away from a playoff team.   

Wait you were one of the guys saying no way QB first round.  Crow is tasty

Archived