• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tyler Larsen vs Matt Paradis

raleigh-panther

14 hours ago, thefuzz said:

This is why I was so open to drafting Bradbury, and Dillard after that.

Now I haven't seen enough of Dillard to know if he can go, but Bradbury is good, and young, and somewhat cheap.

Really wish this team would actually invest in the offensive line.

Also, I'm still questioning why everyone here continues to praise Matsko....it's really confusing.

Only reason I still support Matsko is because of RR. Ron has consistently proven over and over he will do whatever he wants contrary to what is obvious to other people. Matsko is regarded, from what I've read, as a great positional coach. Whether its true or not I dont know. I do know that anyone with any semblance of common sense would never start DWill at LT. Somehow that strikes me more of a Ron move than anyone else.

6 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Only reason I still support Matsko is because of RR. Ron has consistently proven over and over he will do whatever he wants contrary to what is obvious to other people. Matsko is regarded, from what I've read, as a great positional coach. Whether its true or not I dont know. I do know that anyone with any semblance of common sense would never start DWill at LT. Somehow that strikes me more of a Ron move than anyone else.

I just don't get the admiration for the guy.  Under him we have never had a good offensive line, 2015 was about as close to good as we can come up with.

Good with the run game....yea.  Pass pro?  Not a chance in hell.  It's time to move on from ALL these guys.

21 hours ago, thefuzz said:

This is why I was so open to drafting Bradbury, and Dillard after that.

Now I haven't seen enough of Dillard to know if he can go, but Bradbury is good, and young, and somewhat cheap.

Really wish this team would actually invest in the offensive line.

Also, I'm still questioning why everyone here continues to praise Matsko....it's really confusing.

That’s the problem. This team HAS invested in the offensive line and invested A LOT.

But they’re incompetent in doing so. They sign the wrong guys for too much money. They draft seemingly the right guys who fall off or disappear after getting paid.

They need to be better at investing at the oline man.

7 minutes ago, onmyown said:

That’s the problem. This team HAS invested in the offensive line and invested A LOT.

But they’re incompetent in doing so. They sign the wrong guys for too much money. They draft seemingly the right guys who fall off or disappear after getting paid.

I guess I should have added a qualifier.

I wish this team would WISELY invest in the offensive line.....

When is the last time we used a 1st on an offensive lineman?  At the end of the day, offensive line is a major problem in the NFL, and we have two guys at the top of the food chain who either don't value the offensive line, or don't know the least thing about it.

13 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Fair point.

With that said, I don't think it's a priority with Rivera. He'll always be a defense-first guy. And he does subscribe to the fallacy that having a mobile quarterback allows you to get away with inferior offensive line play.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fair point.

With that said, I don't think it's a priority with Rivera. He'll always be a defense-first guy. And he does subscribe to the fallacy that having a mobile quarterback allows you to get away with inferior offensive line play.

Yet Another reason he needs to be gone taking Hurney with him

On 11/19/2019 at 12:49 PM, Panthercougar68 said:

Dillard has been hella bad this year according to Eagle fans I follow on Twitter.

He could not have been any worse than Little last week.  Who did the Eagles play none other than the Pats.  Who did we play the Falcons.  You can expect Dillard to not have a great game, but I do understand where you are going from.

10 hours ago, onmyown said:

Including this year, over a ten year period the Panthers have drafted exactly 4 offensive linemen in the first three rounds of the draft. Since most serious football observers agree that one does not typically expect to find starting quality players past round 3, this means they have invested significantly less draft capital than even just doing average. Over a ten year period a team will be awarded 30 picks in the first 3 rounds. If these draft picks are split equally between the offense and the defense, then 15 would be used on offense and 15 on defense. Since an offensive line of 5 players represents just under half of all offensive starters, 7 of the 15 offensive picks over that time frame would need to be offensive line just to be average.

Relative to expected, the Panthers have invested only 4 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft over the last decade on offensive linemen, when average would have been 7. None of these 4 have been first round selections.

During this same period they have signed exactly 3 free agent offensive linemen to contracts of more than 2 million per season (anything approaching starter money): Matt Kalil, Michael Oher, Paradis. I don't think anyone is going to argue Kalil's contract was definately a lot. The other two are somewhat debatable, but overall I'd suggest that collectively to describe the Panthers investment in the offensive line as being anything greater than typical AT BEST is a stretch, and imo they have failed to invest in the oline to a degree worthy of protecting an MVP caliber qb or powering a run oriented offense.

26 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Including this year, over a ten year period the Panthers have drafted exactly 4 offensive linemen in the first three rounds of the draft. Since most serious football observers agree that one does not typically expect to find starting quality players past round 3, this means they have invested significantly less draft capital than even just doing average. Over a ten year period a team will be awarded 30 picks in the first 3 rounds. If these draft picks are split equally between the offense and the defense, then 15 would be used on offense and 15 on defense. Since an offensive line of 5 players represents just under half of all offensive starters, 7 of the 15 offensive picks over that time frame would need to be offensive line just to be average.

Relative to expected, the Panthers have invested only 4 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft over the last decade on offensive linemen, when average would have been 7. None of these 4 have been first round selections.

During this same period they have signed exactly 3 free agent offensive linemen to contracts of more than 2 million per season (anything approaching starter money): Matt Kalil, Michael Oher, Paradis. I don't think anyone is going to argue Kalil's contract was definately a lot. The other two are somewhat debatable, but overall I'd suggest that collectively to describe the Panthers investment in the offensive line as being anything greater than typical AT BEST is a stretch, and imo they have failed to invest in the oline to a degree worthy of protecting an MVP caliber qb or powering a run oriented offense.

It all comes down to competence. When you’re spending bi bucks on extending players like Turner and signing players like Paradis and Kalil these need to be solid signings.

Granted these are later signings and I will say that during the Cam early years they did absolutely nothing to protect him.

And we can debate investments now vs. then but I think we can all agree on one simple questions and that is...do the Panthers even know how to invest in the offensive line? Do they understand how to protect their QB?

People have been saying they’ve already ignored it all along well I simply argue they how no fuging clue how to build an oline which is much worse. We need new people making these decisions.

Archived