• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why do people have this weird notion it takes 5+ years to rebuild?

onmyown

Where did this come from? Is it the 1990s?Why do people keep saying it? I’m not talking the shitty franchises at the bottom of the barrel that are playing an endless game of NFL Minecraft who everyone seems to love to compare us to to say we’re not so bad...

I’m talking about the competent FOs. From recent memory the Eagles, 49ers, Chiefs, Rams all had pretty quick turnaround. Like 1-2 years. But I haven’t seen any team stick with the same players and coach more or less to start winning in year 5/6.

With proper front office making wise decisions and a GM drafting solid and filling the holes I see (and expect) a 1-2 year turnaround, this whole 5 year to rebuild talk is silly.

What Tepper said to me comes from a business perspective. The team (and it’s success) is just part of Teppers vision. Listening to Tepper he really talks about this place as a business. Rebuilding for him includes things like successful marketing, especially if Cam leaves. 

To the fans who really only care about the success of the team, it just seems people expect a horrible record for the next fives years to rebuild and recently teams have success in less time. I don’t see any reason why after two years this team can start seeing success.

He also said he came in and left things alone on the football side for his first two years. So for the team side of his business he is on year 1 for me. For his business as a whole, I’d agree Panther55, that he’s in year 2-3.

Tepper said 5 years because he knows he may not get it right the first time. Yeah, ideally, we land a great head coach and reboot with who we have, depending on this season maybe even land a first round QB if the coach likes him, or maybe Cam actually gets healed up. Either way, that's the least likely outcome.

The most likely outcome is we get the best coach we can get out of what apparently is a weak class of head coaches, he comes in and makes changes, we have a bad year next year but we allow it, maybe some improvement in year 2, then year 3 comes around and we're missing the playoffs barely and everyone gets antsy thinking maybe we need to try again. Also, the last of our old guard here is fully gone (Luke), and we're paying CMC a fugton to be the guy but he's now been playing for 6 years at a crazy usage rate, so maybe he gets injuries sometimes. Anyway, hopefully the new GM is good at drafting.

Year 4 we start again with a new head coach and maybe this time the timing is right and year 5 we see a big jump like the Eagles or Rams did.

4 hours ago, BurnHurnBurn said:

The owner said it.

Exactly. The owner himself said it. I also think this team is in much worse shape than most do. We need to strike gold on a coach and a qb. And we have to replace our entire oline and the interior dline before we will be a winning franchice again. And that doesnt even take into consideration all of the good players that will be leaving like greg olson and mccoy, and even some good players that will not be resigned  as cap casualties in order to rebuild. 

If we get a good coach and a good qb on our first trt like we did in 2011 then we might be relevant in 3 years... or we could be headed to nfl hell with compa y like the jaguars. Jets and dolphins who have not fou d the right personel for much much longer than 5 years.

13 hours ago, onmyown said:

Where did this come from? Is it the 1990s?Why do people keep saying it? I’m not talking the shitty franchises at the bottom of the barrel that are playing an endless game of NFL Minecraft who everyone seems to love to compare us to to say we’re not so bad...

I’m talking about the competent FOs. From recent memory the Eagles, 49ers, Chiefs, Rams all had pretty quick turnaround. Like 1-2 years. But I haven’t seen any team stick with the same players and coach more or less to start winning in year 5/6.

With proper front office making wise decisions and a GM drafting solid and filling the holes I see (and expect) a 1-2 year turnaround, this whole 5 year to rebuild talk is silly.

He said that because he wants a new stadium. He would probably prefer to start building in 5 or so years, the timing makes sense. It’s all about making money and getting a new stadium. 

Tepper is talking about building a consistent winner, not a one and done playoff team.  It took us five years to do this last time around, though we still never managed back to back winning seasons... we at least won the division three times straight, and made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years.

I look at consistency as making the playoffs more than you miss them for an extended period of time, like a decade bare minimum.

Archived