• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers coach Search Update (Dec 28 UPDATE)

ncfan

25 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I hope this is just us kicking tires on potential candidates that are eligible to be interviewed. More of a time management thing to get the ball rolling on the search. McCarthy seems like the Offensive-minded version of Rivera. 

We're just a week away from being able to interview other candidates.

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

I’m starting to more and more believe that the Panther’s owner, who is obviously brilliant when it comes to financial matters such as buying “distressed assets” (i.e. businesses where actual people work) and breaking those “assets” apart for financial profit (i.e. closing companies and eliminating real jobs held by real people), just isn’t very bright when it comes to this whole “football” deal.

He hires McCarthy this week and I will start the "Dave Snyder" moniker. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I don't think McCarthy would be a bad hire. He's sat out of the league for a year and has allegedly hired some people to help update his playbook and maybe his coaching technique (clock management, player input, etc.).

Also, he had three non-winning years in Green Bay. Yes, he had a HOF QB, but you gotta believe he had a major role in their dominance in the NFCN for close to a decade.

My thought on that is, if you gotta hire people to update your playbook and coaching technique instead of just watching, learning and adapting........WTF?

Edit: And let me say that I will at least give him credit for recognizing that he needed to do this. It's also really hard for me to take away that he is a great offensive mind when he needs other minds to tell him how to adapt. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

consider the QB talent Mike McCarthy had.....and the little he accomplished? 

No thanks.  Plenty of coaches would have walked away with more IMO. 

Sure he had a QB but honestly not much else on D or O, and Rodgers was hurt pretty bad at least 3 of those years. I’m not a big fan of going after McCarthy as I do think he’s something of an offense minded Rivera, but their GM and front office’s philosophy didn’t exactly help McCarthy much. And at least McCarthy has won a Super Bowl and had back to back winning seasons many times...

Like most here, I'll end up talking myself into McCarthy and be excited.  But also like a lot on here have said, this is the Rivera of offense. His year off of "changes" and studying is great (if he truly changes), if not, it sure sounds a helluva lot like Rivera trying to embrace analytics and "change" over the years.

Biggest issue is still GM though.  Hit a homerun there and we're sitting pretty.  Keep Hurney around/hire a dud and we're screwed anyway. 

Archived