• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which HC candidate do you trust more to adapt, adjust, and evolve more?

rayzor

14 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

McDaniels does call the majority of the plays but it’s still Belichick who installs the weekly game plan, it’s Belichick who designed the offense in the offseason , and unlike Rivera you can actually see Belichick calling and changing plays on offense when the game is going on.

Actually, a Patriots guy who just interviewed on WFNZ said that McDaniels installs the game plan.

And Belichick is a defensive guy. He doesn't meddle in the offense. Heck, why would he need to?

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Actually, a Patriots guy who just interviewed on WFNZ said that McDaniels installs the game plan.

And Belichick is a defensive guy. He doesn't meddle in the offense. Heck, why would he need to?

Why? cause he’s a control freak

Chris Simms (who was an assistant in NE in 2012) a few years ago on his podcast even said it’s Belichick who installs the game plan, Belichick is the one who teaches the offensive coaches how to coach, that’s why he promotes within the organization instead of hiring outside play callers.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

In the salary cap era, the Patriots ever evolving "style of play" is the correct way to do it.

They seem to really look at their returning personnel, salary cap ramifications, and league directions at the end of each season and figure out what they need to do to take advantage of those particular pieces.

It's pretty remarkable to be honest, but Bill has so much football knowledge that he can do it that way, not sure many other coaches have the football dictionary floating around in their heads like Bill does. 

Wonder if McD has learned everything?

They said Belichick spends part of his season going backwards as well.  He'll pull up film from around the league from 10 years ago, and see how much of that stuff he wants to bring back because he thinks it could work today.

37 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Why? cause he’s a control freak

Chris Simms (who was an assistant in NE in 2012) a few years ago on his podcast even said it’s Belichick who installs the game plan, Belichick is the one who teaches the offensive coaches how to coach, that’s why he promotes within the organization instead of hiring outside play callers.

The guy who was on the radio today works for the Patriots right now. Simms doesn't, and hasn't for a while.

I'd add that 2012 was McDaniels first year back with the team after leaving for the Broncos and then the Rams.

13 hours ago, top dawg said:

The problem is that quality defenses took a nosedive as soon as he became HC.

Pre McDaniels Denver Broncos 2008: 8-8 and 30/32 for points against. They gave up 448 points.

McDaniels Broncos 2009: 8-8 and 12/32 for points against. They gave up 324.

The next year McDaniels got fired with 4 games left. Through 12 games they gave up 30+ points 4 times. In the 4 games without him as head coach? 3 of the 4. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

The guy who was on the radio today works for the Patriots right now. Simms doesn't, and hasn't for a while.

I'd add that 2012 was McDaniels first year back with the team after leaving for the Broncos and then the Rams.

Whose “the guy”????

Either way I highly doubt McDaniels is the one who puts the weekly game plan. He probably runs stuff by BB and he has the final word 

5 hours ago, Varking said:

Pre McDaniels Denver Broncos 2008: 8-8 and 30/32 for points against. They gave up 448 points.

McDaniels Broncos 2009: 8-8 and 12/32 for points against. They gave up 324.

The next year McDaniels got fired with 4 games left. Through 12 games they gave up 30+ points 4 times. In the 4 games without him as head coach? 3 of the 4. 

I'll consider the early results of his tenure & take the later results with a grain of salt. 

4 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Whose “the guy”????

Either way I highly doubt McDaniels is the one who puts the weekly game plan. He probably runs stuff by BB and he has the final word 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nesn.com/2019/08/do-your-job-part-iii-places-spotlight-on-bill-belichick-josh-mcdaniels-relationship/amp/

Nearly two decades later, Belichick essentially gives McDaniels free rein to craft the Patriots’ offensive scheme as he sees fit.

“I give him a little bit of input, but 90 to 95 percent is his plan, his vision,” Belichick says. “Rarely do we see things that differently. But sometimes there will be things that I suggest. Sometimes he’ll say, ‘I think that would be great,’ and sometimes he’ll say, ‘I don’t really think this is the right time for us to do that. Here’s the reason why.’ And he’s usually right.”

One line in Belichick’s speech during the Patriots’ latest Super Bowl ring ceremony, which opens the film, succinctly sums up the admiration he has toward McDaniels.

“Josh,” Belichick says, “I’m glad you didn’t go to Indianapolis. Let’s start with that.”

Archived