• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coughlin Advising Rhule on Panthers Staff

Ship

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Depends on the role.

He could stay on as an advisor to Rhule even if he wasn't on the official coaching staff.

As a coach or as an evaluator?

Coughlin was a decent talent evaluator during his first run in Jacksonville. They had some nice drafts 

If it’s anything more than calling for advice, don’t you think that’s wrong? Look what he did in Jax. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Coughlin was a decent talent evaluator during his first run in Jacksonville. They had some nice drafts 

Did he though?

Between 95 and 2001 two total All Pro selections between everyone he ever drafted.  Both were Round 1 Pick 2s.  Keven Hardy and Tony Boselli.

3 others got selected for the pro bowl, but not all pro.  

This is out of 34 total picks in the top 4 rounds over that time period.

Reference: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/draft.htm

8 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

If it’s anything more than calling for advice, don’t you think that’s wrong? Look what he did in Jax. 

Depends on whether you mean his first trip to Jacksonville or his second.

In his original stint, he built the team from the ground up and did a pretty good job. Can't really argue with his success in New York either. 

Being brought into an existing power structure when he returned to Jacksonville didn't work out so well though. So yeah, you also have to acknowledge that  he can be a very difficult person to work with.

If you put him in a consultant role where he advises but doesn't have any power, then your hope is that you get the benefit of his wisdom without the problem of his ego

4 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Yeah.  I called this after Coughlin reached out to him as soon as he was hired.  
I like it.  Not sure I want him in a prominent role but to assist guiding Rhule it will be great IMO. 

When you're doing a job for the first time there's a lot to be said for having the wisdom and experience of somebody who's done that job before, and done it successfully, at your disposal.

(as long as they accept that you're in charge and not them, of course)

33 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Assistant GM perhaps?  Coughlin knows football and how to build teams.  He's very old school as a coach and seen as abrasive.  I'd like him in a front office position though.  Maybe he could be the Yin to Marty's Yang.  Help the blind squirrel find a nut past round one.

Marty's personality and Tom Coughlin's personality? No way I can see that relationship working out.

Might be worth mentioning that Marc Ross and Jerry Reese are both available for work. The NFL has expressed an interest in having Reese work in a front office again.

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

I love using him as a consultant in building a staff. Anything beyond that, esp. in regards to coach and player relations, should be avoided.

Give him a title that sounds really important but a limited job description.

Hell, do the same to Marty.

If we put Coughlin in a front office role it’ll be a pretty terrible sign for the Tepper era IMO.  He’s got some knowledge but reading those Jacksonville articles again about the end of his time there this year and Yikes.  Basically blackballed by the NLFPA now.  A lot of tendencies people are worried about with Rhule might get brought out tenfold if Coughlin has his ear.

15 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Did he though?

Between 95 and 2001 two total All Pro selections between everyone he ever drafted.  Both were Round 1 Pick 2s.  Keven Hardy and Tony Boselli.

3 others got selected for the pro bowl, but not all pro.  

This is out of 34 total picks in the top 4 rounds over that time period.

Reference: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/draft.htm

Not arguing one way or the other, but I've never been a fan of using pro-bowl selections as a gauge for success as a talent evaluator or procurer. Pro-bowl is largely a popularity contest that weighs heavily towards large market and whatever teams are hyped by the media that year. That's never really been jaxville.

Archived