• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coughlin Advising Rhule on Panthers Staff

Ship

48 minutes ago, raz said:

uh, no that's ridiculous.   real fighters use technique constantly and don't lose their temper.  i can tell you don't follow mma.    they just use techniques that are applicable in the real world, unlike aikido.  

I think both of you are correct. Aikido isnt something you would take if you wanted to learn the most effective form of self defense. It is also a martial art.  Some martial arts put more of a emphasis on real world application. Some have more a body discipline and control sort of motive.  Obviously a halfway trained MMA fighter will destroy an aikido artist. Probably a karate artist as well....but that isnt the entire point.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not coach related, but something to file away...

If Brown goes early in the first, this would be an amazing pick in the 2nd round. Rhule's familiarity and Lynch was Big12's DPOY this past season. Pretty talented kid that is strong, works hard and fits what Rhule talked about with "building blocks". 

4 hours ago, KatsAzz said:

It is great to see Matt Rhule seek advice  from a wise old hand like Tom Coughlin for some much needed guidance but i feel in the long run that Rhule will take that advice, apply common sense and come to his own conclusions.

this reads like a poem translated into english

4 hours ago, raz said:

its 100% fake.   check out some high ranking aikido masters vs real fighters who aren't even good enough to turn pro.    it is exercise and discipline.  i wasted a few yrs of my life on it.   its completely fake, though it is beautiful

aikido isn't fake just because there are indeed fake clowns on there.   Fake is a bad word for it. 

Outdated is the word you are searching for.  Aikido is simply outdated.   Possibly irrelevant is a good one too. 

Most pure martial arts to a lesser degree are outdated as well as a stand alone art and suffer vs those trained in diverse backgrounds. 

I spent years taking TKD.  In my prime if you transported me to today's world....I'd have gotten my arse handed to me.  But back in the day, no one would take you down in a street fight.  You were going to stand and trade blows. Back in the day, modern "MMA" was viewed as being a punk.   Might get jumped on for attempting it in an old school after fight.   Choke someone? In a fight? There was no more pathetic move back in the day.  Now it is the go to move. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

aikido isn't fake just because there are indeed fake clowns on there.   Fake is a bad word for it. 

Outdated is the word you are searching for.  Aikido is simply outdated.   Possibly irrelevant is a good one too. 

Most pure martial arts to a lesser degree are outdated as well as a stand alone art and suffer vs those trained in diverse backgrounds. 

I spent years taking TKD.  In my prime if you transported me to today's world....I'd have gotten my arse handed to me.  But back in the day, no one would take you down in a street fight.  You were going to stand and trade blows. Back in the day, modern "MMA" was viewed as being a punk.   Might get jumped on for attempting it in an old school after fight.   Choke someone? In a fight? There was no more pathetic move back in the day.  Now it is the go to move. 

tkd is outdated in ways, and incomplete training, but a true martial art form.  aikido is 100% a fake martial art.  this isn't a hot take and i didn't come up with it myself. its been demonstrated over and over and over.  why do you think they don't compete?  and yeah, growing up if you threw a kick everyone would jump on you for being a sissy.  

12 minutes ago, raz said:

tkd is outdated in ways, and incomplete training, but a true martial art form.  aikido is 100% a fake martial art.  this isn't a hot take and i didn't come up with it myself. its been demonstrated over and over and over.  why do you think they don't compete?  and yeah, growing up if you threw a kick everyone would jump on you for being a sissy.  

The fact you are trying to define what martial arts are, shows you shouldn’t be claiming what a martial art is and isn’t. 

Tai chi is a martial art. 100-110 year old people practice it. It makes their lives physically, mentally and spiritually better. It doesn’t mean they have to to beat the poo out of someone in a ring or in a “real” fight. 

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Just wishing Coughlin would fade off into retirement and not leave his fingerprints on this team.

He’ll be ok if he isn’t appointed to coaching staff or front office and purely is a consultant for rhule. Anything past that and don’t expect much from Rhules tenure here besides everyone leaving. 

Archived