• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Whether we want to keep Cam or not...

blueandblackattack

1 hour ago, jfra78 said:

First we shouldnt sign CMC to a second contarct. You dont build an offense around a RB anymore.  

Second, MVP caliber QBs dont grow on trees.  Its actually riskier to draft a QB and hope he can translate to the NFL, than to give Cam another chance and let him play out his contract here.  

If CMC wasn’t on this team can anyone dispute that we would finish the season 0-16?  CMC is irreplaceable, he is our offense.  Cut the bad players, find the way to keep the good ones. 

38 minutes ago, countryboi said:

I think Cam at 30 is young enough to be included in the rebuild. QBs have a much longer life span than most other positions 

You’re thinking of qb’s like Brees and Brady who did not run like rb’s over the first half of their careers and whose bodies did not take nearly the punishment Cam’s has. To not expect that pounding to affect his career longevity would be unwise.

Yeah this notion that teams are going to be able to keep drafting quarterbacks for cheap and keep on chugging right along isn't sustainable. Mahomes is probably going to haul in 50 million per year or more.

The contract numbers aren't going down, and quarterbacks worth their skillset have increasingly more leverage.

Also, let's be brutally honest about the shelf life of running backs, especially backs who are being ran into the ground. It isn't pretty. If you are a Panthers fan wanting to back up a brinks truck for McCaffrey when we don't even know who our QB is going to be you might not know much about football.

1 hour ago, GoPanthers123 said:

If CMC wasn’t on this team can anyone dispute that we would finish the season 0-16?  CMC is irreplaceable, he is our offense.  Cut the bad players, find the way to keep the good ones. 

What's funny is if we had actually gone 0-16 or 1-15, we would be talking about who we are going to pick with the #1 overall selection.

Instead we had fans high fiving each other over meaningless records in another lost year where we robbed ourselves of a top 5 pick and skyrocketed CMC's value. Yay team?

Who says we have to run RPO?   Even if we keep Cam I’d like to see us run less of it. He’s capable of doing that. 

One of the biggest things I blame Ron for is abandoning the offensive path we were on when Cam was a rookie. We had Cam behind center in singleback and i formations. Our passing game dynamic.  But Ron decided to go for the quickest route to success and over use the RPO because he had a monster in Cam. 

Now Cams beat up because of it and our passing game only consists of screen, RPO, or play action.

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

There’s very good reason to believe he may not be able to maintain his health. He’s had a nine year career; through the first six years he was indeed quite durable, but he has not been so for the last three, an entire third of his professional career, Moreover, since it’s well known that the body’s ability to recover from injury drops off from its peak once the age of 30 is reached, it is reasonable to assume that any professional athlete will recover more slowly and less completely from injury past 30 than they did before. This based upon a sample of literally thousands and is thus a pretty reasonable assumption.

im less concerned about Cam’s motivation to go elsewhere being about money than it being about career goals. The money aspect is in regards to how the organization must weigh its risks.

While I agree what we saw in the first half of 2018 looked promising and is probably one of the best reasons to believe Cam has the potential to be quite effective as a pure pocket passer, it’s still only half a season sample size and is largely before NFL defenses began to adjust to a Cam who runs less. Kyle Allen is a good example of how good something can look until NFL DC’s have a large enough collection of film to game plan effectively against it. I suspect that Cam paired with a flexible and innovative mind like Brady could be quite potent, but I fear there are too many factors working against Cam being here long term. But let’s cross our fingers because if he is at least back next season and healthy, it’s possible he and Brady could do things together that would force everyone to re-evaluate. I just think it’s imperative that whether we bring him back or move on, the line has to be improved.

Two unrelated injuries. That’s all. And Cam’s non-peak health is still above most QBs’ peak. He wasn’t even 30 when he suffered and recovered from the shoulder injury.  The only thing he’s still recovering from at 30 is the lisfranc surgery. 

Plus, I have a feeling Cam is “old enough” to get the calls these days. I don’t think refs are going to be allowing the headhunting on him any more as a result of the past couple seasons’ injuries. They know he’s one of the more bankable players that’s always good for a story of some sort. They’d lose a bit of money if Cam’s career was shortened. 

6 minutes ago, mjligon said:

and Kyle Allen and Will Grier proved that Cmac and DJ Moore can’t carry a team to wins

We also had worst run defense in 20 years and teams could score on us at will.  We have one more year to try with new OLine and defense, and hopefully Cam to lead us back to winning.

20 minutes ago, mjligon said:

and Kyle Allen and Will Grier proved that Cmac and DJ Moore can’t carry a team to wins

That was in our old system. That is the point. You can't assume that the way our QBs executed in the old system will translate the same to our new system.

Archived