• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Are Trading OL Trai Turner To LAC For LT Russell Okung

bobsfoodbasics

25 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

That money is already paid.  We are going to account for it whether Turner is here or not, so that is exactly how it works.  You can accelerate it into this season by trading him or spread it out by keeping him but the fact is its already paid.

Not what I mean. Turner and Okung's numbers are close except the bonuses. Okungs is only 3m of his 16m salary so we get 13m against our cap this year. Turner's bonus is 9.5m of his 13m salary. So we keep the 9.5 and add the 13m, SD keeps 3m and adds 3.5. 

The numbers are close overall but when the bonuses are allotted for, it really changes how the cap numbers are distributed.

3 hours ago, Smithers said:

Little is going to be one hell of a LG.

This continues to confuse me.

Little was never a player in the SEC who showed he was eager to be physical and to make contact.  In fact, he was the opposite of that.  His success in the SEC was due to simple natural talent against players, by and large, who weren't as talented.

And he certainly hasn't shown the desire to be physical in his short cameo in the NFL.

What about any of that screams "FUTURE GUARD HE'S A DAMN MAULER!"?

Don't give a sh$t what they do anymore. Trade away everyone and sign old men and JAGS....hold concerts at BOA and tractor pulls instead of fielding an actual NFL caliber franchise. Throw a soccer team in there while your at it and bore everyone to death. Fug it.

26 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Not what I mean. Turner and Okung's numbers are close except the bonuses. Okungs is only 3m of his 16m salary so we get 13m against our cap this year. Turner's bonus is 9.5m of his 13m salary. So we keep the 9.5 and add the 13m, SD keeps 3m and adds 3.5. 

The numbers are close overall but when the bonuses are allotted for, it really changes how the cap numbers are distributed.

Okung is that $13 mil against the cap and we also have the $9.5 mil dead hit. We clearly don’t have a substantial addition in mind via Free Agency if we’re eating this much on top of Kalil’s continues post-cut dead cap.  It totals $33 mil for one season at LT.

so sure, we’re saving 3.5 getting rid of Trai and he’s off the books for 21’...but what we’re taking on is obnoxious.

Paying a fraction MORE... AND willing to accept the dead money hit to ensure one season of Russel Okung.  I’m jaded at this point. 

28 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

ok, for this year our cap hit will be larger because of the trade, but that is just because Turner's dead money is going accelerate into this year.

That dead money though we would have had to account for anyway at some point, so the only real difference overall is the new money and that is from the base salaries and roster bonuses.  Long term though Okung is only going to consume around $4m dollars more of cap space to be our LT for 2020 then Turner to be our RG for 2020.

Panthers acquired LT Russell Okung from the Chargers in exchange for OG Trai Turner.

It was very clear Okung wanted out given his reported skepticism of Los Angeles' ongoing direction. Entering the final year of his contract with the fourth-highest cap hit ($15.53 million) among the league's offensive linemen, it makes sense the tanking Panthers take on 31-year-old Okung's expiring deal as they continue to makeshift a viable on-field product while rebuilding from the ground up. Okung also has ties to Panthers O-line coach Pat Meyer stemming from their time together with the Chargers. Carolina could still address their tackle position in April's draft.

I admit I didn't read through 18 pages, but I REALLY LIKE this trade.  Here's why:

• Best OTs this draft are RTs.
  • We passed on Whitworth at 33 or 34-years old and the Rams signed him; he locked down the blindside for Goff.
  • It's a one-year flier deal.  If he works out, another short-term deal and if not, cut bait.
  • You CANNOT fill the holes on this 53-man roster with ALL rookies.  Some vets are necessary, even in a rebuild.
  • Gives Little and Daley another year to show something, a year to see if Little can stay healthy.
  • Moton can move inside where I have said all along he belongs, BUT Turner was occupying his natural RG spot.
  • Turner's bad deal is now gone!  Plus he got lazy with the new deal.
  • We can focus on defense in the 1st and likely 2nd rounds without needing to grab up the best LT remaining on the board.  Guards and centers we can get in the 3rd round and later.

Archived