• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tank Mode engaged ..

WOW!!

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

A lot of people cling to hope that Cam will actually play on a one year deal after four years of injuries and a 31 old tackle who missed 10 games, Moton and a terrible C. That’s who a QB gunning for his next deal wants to play behind? Olsen and Luke are gone. He hasn’t even passed a physical so everyone is saying nice stuff right now. I concede that Cam may not be going anywhere but it still wouldn’t surprise me if he does and even forces the issue.

If he was going to force the issue he would've already done it when in fact he's done the exact opposite.

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I like your thoughts. If I was GM, I’d do a few things:

1. Get rid of dead weight. Poe, Wright, Mike Davis and Short are just gone. Don’t care about dead cap because contrary to some posts dead cap doesn’t go away if you keep a player longer. Keeping Short one more year just costs us an extra $14M in 2020 and $28.5M if we keep him both years. He’s not good enough for that money.

2. Don’t sign FAs that cost comp picks. Make sure we max out 2021 comp picks.

3. Agree with @stirs above that if someone offers you a 2021 pick (like 2021 2nd or 2020 3rd) take it. I think 2020 is a solid draft but I’m willing to get more value.

4. It’s unpopular among many but I trade Cam for the highest pick I can get, even if 2021. I want to save the $160M we could save with a rookie QB cap instead of $35M a year over the rebuild.

5. I would absolutely draft a WR and tackle this year due to the depth even early. Okung is a one year deal and I want true BOA/value. No reaches or projects. We aren’t trying to make the playoffs in 2020 or 2021, so we are stacking talent.

6. I’d take Brown or Okudah or Simmons at 7.

7. Extend CMC, Moton and Moore. Still in the fence with Samuel. Maybe extend him now to get him some cash and keep the rate low.

7. Start Grier and take Lawrence in 2021.

8. Profit.

Bolded what I most agree with.  I really like the mid-round tackles.  One in particular in Adeniji who can start at LG but easily play LT.  Started every game for Kansas at LT and reminds me of a few guys people thought were just a tad undersized for the spot but ended up playing it just fine in the NFL.   

I think we're keeping Cam though. 

However, I just don't think we give him another contract even if he looks good.  I mean, if he's back, Cam will be looking for more than the franchise tag annually which will likely be at ~$26 mil.  I just don't see us committing to Cam for 3 years at $26-30 mil.  We're being nice right now, but that's not what Brady and Rhule want to commit to their first 4 seasons unless he REALLY balls out. 

If he gets hurt again or things fall apart, then yeah, we're getting Lawrence, Fields or maybe Newman and don't get anything for him.   

So, I think the best possibility for us that I am personally hoping for is that we are better than expected and he looks good BUT still end up in the 8-14 pick range.  We go 6-10/7-9.  Then, we tag him for $25 mil before the 2021 draft and use him to trade up for Fields.  We have foundational pieces in place from the 2020 draft, are further along than expected, and add a young new star at QB. 

If he gets through a season looking good enough around a bomb squad, then I think a team like the Lions, Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Bears, Raiders will actually be in position for him then.  Again, not this year, but in 2021 and willing to pay $26 mil for a season and work out a 3 year contract.  

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he was going to force the issue he would've already done it when in fact he's done the exact opposite.

Can’t force the issue if you can’t pass the physical yet. Listen, I agree that everyone is saying the right things and it’s more likely he stays but I’ll be honest that nothing has happened yet to put Cam in a position to force the issue or for us to trade him. We are still two months from the draft and the first OTAs.

3 minutes ago, davos said:

We're talking defensive line and rebuilding overall.  Don't magnify what you don't like. 

Ultimately the game begins and ends behind center. Doesn't matter how deep your lines are, doesn't matter how good your receivers or backs are, you get it done through your quarterback. Ask the 49ers about that.

If you want to trade a legit quarterback then you damn well better have another legit solution in mind. Otherwise you're just blowing smoke.

1 minute ago, davos said:

Bolded what I most agree with.  I really like the mid-round tackles.  One in particular in Adeniji who can start at LG but easily play LT.  Started every game for Kansas at LT and reminds me of a few guys people thought were just a tad undersized for the spot but ended up playing it just fine in the NFL.   

I think we're keeping Cam though. 

However, I just don't think we give him another contract even if he looks good.  I mean, if he's back, Cam will be looking for more than the franchise tag annually which will likely be at ~$26 mil.  I just don't see us committing to Cam for 3 years at $26-30 mil.  We're being nice right now, but that's not what Brady and Rhule want to commit to their first 4 seasons unless he REALLY balls out. 

If he gets hurt again or things fall apart, then yeah, we're getting Lawrence, Fields or maybe Newman and don't get anything for him.   

So, I think the best possibility for us that I am personally hoping for is that we are better than expected and he looks good BUT still end up in the 8-14 pick range.  We go 6-10/7-9.  Then, we tag him for $25 mil before the 2021 draft and use him to trade up for Fields.  We have foundational pieces in place from the 2020 draft, are further along than expected, and add a young new star at QB. 

If he gets through a season looking good enough around a bomb squad, then I think a team like the Lions, Steelers, Patriots, Colts, Bears, Raiders will actually be in position for him then.  Again, not this year, but in 2021 and willing to pay $26 mil for a season and work out a 3 year contract.  

I agree with everything except Cam. If you aren’t going to extend him, what good does it do to keep him? Let’s say even if you trade him to the Pats for a 1st, if you finish near .500, that late first isn’t enough to get you into the top 3.

If you are moving on to a 2021 QB or Howell, the best way to do that is to start Grier (like we started Clausen and Weinke or Indy started Painter and Orlovsky or Cleveland starting Kizer). Trying to trade up to the top takes a lot more than a late 1st from pick 12-15. Especially if you are trying to get QBs that are legitimately ranked as the top prospects in years.

To get Lawrence or Fields, starting Grier and going 2-14 is your best bet, not trading up when the top teams have 0 interest in trading out of those picks. We don’t have the Dolphins 5 first rounders in 2020 and 2021, so going for a rookie QB better come from starting Grier over hoping to get enough pierces to trade up.

8 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Ultimately the game begins and ends behind center. Doesn't matter how deep your lines are, doesn't matter how good your receivers or backs are, you get it done through your quarterback. Ask the 49ers about that.

If you want to trade a legit quarterback then you damn well better have another legit solution in mind. Otherwise you're just blowing smoke.

Legit qb?  He cannot play right now.

20 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

So what happens if we tank for Lawrence and don't get him.  Or if we tank for Lawrence and he turns out to not be that good?  Do we keep tanking until we get a good qb, ala Cleveland.

Hypothetical.... This more about team building not the QB situation.. "IF" is used way to many time to have a meltdown about the Cam situation.. The point of the thread is to find out what method would you use the next 2 seasons.. Jesus christ read the fuging thread and try to comprehend the point!!

17 minutes ago, davos said:

We're talking defensive line and rebuilding overall.  Don't magnify what you don't like. 

Jesus christ ppl are so effected about this offseason we can't even talk football...

Since this is so fuging Hard!! 

We're keeping Cam how do you rebuild the team around him the next 2 offseasons??

Do you go heavy Defense this offseason  or do you overly hype the offense and go full defense next season?? If you're doing a mix Realistically explained how you do it?? 

Simple...

Archived