• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

21 minutes ago, kass said:

My basis is that the data set are not comparable because they are collected with different methods. So you measure apples and oranges.

I dont think you are bright enough for this discussion. I prefer listen to experts rather than a self proclaimed epidemic amateur expert on a football forum.

"Seeing as my match is correct"... You have one number and you divide it by another number. Is that the expertise you bring to the table? Is it even possible to f that u? 

By the way, your number for the Swedish population is wrong so yeah, you didn't even use an updated data set. Embarrassing. 

You're protesting against the method in which data was collected specifically for Sweden and not all countries. You're trying to differentiate between apples and oranges when we're discussing fruits.

You're more than welcome to prefer to listen to whatever echos inside your chamber while questioning my intelligence. By the way... was the math incorrect? Certainly if I'm not bright enough for this discussion I should have my math checked... right?

As for the Swedish population: Population of Sweden

What did I put down again? Oh yea...

Population of Sweden: 10.23M
Swedish COVID-19 cases: 9,141 
Deaths: 793
Percentage of infected: 0.09%
Death rate: 8.7%

Edited by Icege

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not sure why so many people are trying to steadfastly deny that there isn't a strong link between increased temperatures and reduces contagiousness. Early studies out of both China and Spain have found a strong correlation there. We're seeing the same thing play out around the globe as the southern hemisphere is fairing much better than the northern hemisphere overall. I think over the coming weeks and months we may see that reverse course, but hopefully most of the southern hemisphere countries have taken enough measures early enough that they can avoid the fate of the northern hemisphere even if they see a rise in contagiousness as they go into their winter.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/new-zealand/auckland/historic

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/charleston-sc/historic

It has been warmer in Charleston county and we have seen a higher rate of infection (0.08%) than that of New Zealand (0.02%).

Edited by Icege

27 minutes ago, Icege said:

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/new-zealand/auckland/historic

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/charleston-sc/historic

It has been warmer in Charleston county and we have seen a higher rate of infection (0.08%) than that of New Zealand (0.02%).

Please, let's leverage facts instead of assumptions here.

I'm talking about actual studies that have been done, not assumptions. But, speaking of assumptions, it's highly likely there have been more new introductions in Charleston county than in New Zealand. New Zealand as a country sees a little over 3 million tourists a year. The greater Charleston area see almost 7 million. New Zealand also has a population density of 18 people per square kilometer. Charleston County's population density is over 5x higher at 99 people per square kilometer. Not to mention that New Zealand was one of the more proactive countries dealing with this pandemic and we were one of the least.

The comparison isn't even apples and oranges. It's apples and rocks.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Devil Doc said:

I am a little more optimistic than most people, and I downplay the Virus Alot. It is not because I don't think it is serious, I just don't think it is a serious as they say it is.  The President had positive thoughts, and positive outcomes, which is why he said the things he did. Once he realized that it is a little worse than he expected, he has changed his tune. The projections, change everyday. I am skeptical it will be above 50K Deaths, 2 weeks ago I said 20K deaths. Which we are at ~17K deaths in the US now. If the current projections are true, the peak will be next week for majority of the US. I am not a fan of the media's narrative of Doom and Gloom, and mass hysteria and mass death. I look at it, well so far, our deaths are not bad, could have been worse, here is the positive side of things ~26K have recovered from the Virus. I understand Trump is a different color of character than we are used to, and I know many people hate him. I understand that, but to turn this Virus into a caveat is not really an analytical way to see things at this point. 

I have no issue with someone being optimistic. Hell, you should be. It does nobody any good for you to mope around thinking the world is going to end.

The issue with Trump downplaying the severity of the virus, is that we need a proper response from our government and leadership. They needed to take this seriously, and they didn't. The lack of response has already lead to the death of Americans, and will lead to more in the future. It's a serious misstep.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

And yeah our resident Trumpster sheep will pie you for this, because of course.

Edited by R0CKnR0LLA
  • Pie 3

2 minutes ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

I have no issue with someone being optimistic. Hell, you should be. It does nobody any good for you to mope around thinking the world is going to end.

The issue with Trump downplaying the severity of the virus, is that we need a proper response from our government and leadership. They needed to take this seriously, and they didn't. The lack of response has already lead to the death of Americans, and will lead to more in the future. It's a serious misstep.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worse.

Exactly. Trump stumping for two months that this whole thing was just a hoax was and still is incredibly damaging. His supporters soaked it up and for the most part still believe that even as Trump has shifted on the matter himself.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not sure why so many people are trying to steadfastly deny that there isn't a strong link between increased temperatures and reduces contagiousness. Early studies out of both China and Spain have found a strong correlation there. We're seeing the same thing play out around the globe as the southern hemisphere is fairing much better than the northern hemisphere overall. I think over the coming weeks and months we may see that reverse course, but hopefully most of the southern hemisphere countries have taken enough measures early enough that they can avoid the fate of the northern hemisphere even if they see a rise in contagiousness as they go into their winter.

Pretty sure we went over this like 100 pages ago, when we found the temp range where the virus thrived.

If you look at projection models, delaying a proper response by one DAY leads to a massive difference in infected cases. That's how exponential growth works. How many weeks (or months) did we sit around doing nothing?

The US response has been amongst the worst in the world. Compare it to what South Korea has done, it's night and day.

This is has literally gotten my fellow Americans killed. At least now we seem to finally be taking this seriously, but it will still never undo the damage already done. And don't tell me not "get political" by criticizing the goverments garbage response for one of the very things we all pay them money and depend on them for in the first place.

12 minutes ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Calling it a "hoax" was a bit much, but at the time, there was literally no indication of it coming here. Yes, there was warnings, but it is hard to dictate what the actual Intel of the virus was. The thing is, you can take it serious, and still not respond, until further data dictates otherwise. There will never be a proper response from our leadership or government, even Cuomo and Dr. F himself dont know. There is speculations. Has staying in place helped the pandemic, sure. However, giving an executive order and saying there is legal ramifications, is not ok. It should be voluntarily done. Also, you have to look at it from the perspective of the people. Many people define a "Crisis" or a "Disaster" in many different ways. A disaster is in the "eye of the beholder", do we mean the event itself, or do we mean the process of the disaster causation or do we mean the organizational and social response to the event?

56 minutes ago, Icege said:

You're protesting against the method in which data was collected specifically for Sweden and not all countries. You're trying to differentiate between apples and oranges when we're discussing fruits.

You're more than welcome to prefer to listen to whatever echos inside your chamber while questioning my intelligence. By the way... was the math incorrect? Certainly if I'm not bright enough for this discussion I should have my math checked... right?

As for the Swedish population: Population of Sweden

What did I put down again? Oh yea...

Population of Sweden: 10.23M
Swedish COVID-19 cases: 9,141 
Deaths: 793
Percentage of infected: 0.09%
Death rate: 8.7%

Because I am Swedish, I use Sweden as an example. Maybe that was too hard to figure out...

I watch the daily joint briefing from the Swedish Health agencies and therefore know the flaws about the testing in Sweden because they have mentioned it so many times. So that is my "echo". I don't have any own take of this.

Go read the answer on this question.
How many people are ill from COVID-19 in Sweden?

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/

You could also check this out, the news report about the 2,5% infected in Stockholm from the study they started doing 2 weeks ago.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/ny-studie-2-5-av-stockholmarna-bar-pa-viruset

nr1 / nr2 = result. You want credit for knowing basic division in mathematics? Really?
How old are you? You still attend elementary school?

You point to Google Search for finding out the population of Sweden. Hahahahaha. Ok. That was funny.
Here you go -> https://www.scb.se/hitta-statistik/statistik-efter-amne/befolkning/befolkningens-sammansattning/befolkningsstatistik/

If you want any information or material about Covid 19 and Sweden, just tell me and I will get it for you. You don't seem to be able to collect it yourself. Tell me and I send a message with the links and some tips.

21 minutes ago, stirs said:

Not sure if you can believe this crap or not.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241908771.html

Probably means we are closer to herd immunity than most think.  Bring on the antibodies test!!

I absolutely believe it. Accessibility to testing has been awful. We're really only testing the most vulnerable and the most ill. We think that 80% of cases will be asymptomatic or mild. That's based on current testing levels. That number is likely much higher. Here in Colorado, they're assuming that the actual infection rate is 5-10x higher than confirmed testing results. Even if that's the case, we're still a loooooooong way away from herd immunity.

• Beer 2