• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

Everyone and every scientist said there would be a "2nd" "3rd" "4th" etc wave...... so now everyone but the USA has defeated convid and didnt even have the "2nd" wave??

Again if you dont test, no one has it... I mean North Korea had NO cases or deaths, simply AMAZING!!   

12 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

DeSantis was being attacked saying his state was going to be New York.  It's not New York, and they have a long ways to go to get there.  If Florida becomes New York, he was wrong.  If it doesn't, while we have our opinions, he was not really wrong.

I guess technically you're right at this exact moment. But if Florida ends up with the 2nd most deaths in the country when all is said and done (which is looking like a distinct possibility), the take away is "Gotta hand it to De Santis. He was right!" I would also suggest better criteria for becoming the next New York would be overwhelming their hospitals' capacity to take care of COVID patients rather than having the exact number of deaths, which controls for things like improvements in care, as well as differences in health disparaties and population density. They are pretty much there, if not will be soon at this rate, with a large number of ICUs there at capacity and hospitalizations only rising (or I mean we can only presume with Florida suspiciously cagey with their data). 

Regardless of specific outcomes, he already looks like a fool to me. At this point its just how bad will it get. But I'd be happy to revisit this thread in 3 months.

• Pie 3

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not sure when you last looked at a map, but there's a helluva lot more water between us and China than Japan and China. Mexico and Canada probably wish there was an ocean between us and them right now.

You need this for your soul

19 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Regardless of specific outcomes, he already looks like a fool to me. At this point its just how bad will it get. But I'd be happy to revisit this thread in 3 months.

Why did you waste all of those words before this statement when you could have just cut to the chase.  You don't care what actually happens, you don't like him either way.  Shocker!

1 hour ago, kass said:

Have there been an increase in ICU units? Can they increase it?

In Sweden we had about 526 ICU before the pandemic. During the pandemic it was increased to 1000-1100. Lowest number of free capacity was around 18% (from my memory). ICU in Sweden = always ventilators + personnel to man the unit. Otherwise the patient falls under "hospitalization".

you have to understand that the american healthcare system is run like any other business; there's no room to expand, there's no room for excess. excess is something that isn't making you money. it's why you're seeing things like in houston where you're hospitals are expanding into children's hospitals

so don't look at it like "once we reach x% then the poo hits the fan." think of it as "the closer we get to x% the less effective we are at treating it." 

without massive federal intervention (that's not coming) there's only so much upward scaling you can do in such a short amount of time. 

anything can be an icu bed. I can slap a 25 year old heart monitor on a bed in the hall and call it an icu bed. But do I have the staff to man it? Do i have the equipment? can i do everything i need to do if thigns go pear shaped? 

And sweden is an irrelevant comparison. think about how much healthier an average swede is at baseline than an american because they have better healthcare throughout their lives. think about how much better functioning their healthcare system is than the american one. 

if nothing else this should really give far right wingers good reason to reevaluate their views irt healthcare but lmao we know it won't

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

Mandatory masks should be N95 or better. Roy Cooper is totally OK with knitted masks and surgical masks that give folks a false sense of security.

Either mandate masks that REALLY work or stop the political foolishness.

He may be embarrassed for running the president out of town, deservedly so, you look like a puppet, but we shouldn't all be covering our faces for his own shame.

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

Mandatory masks should be N95 or better. Roy Cooper is totally OK with knitted masks and surgical masks that give folks a false sense of security.

He may be embarrassed for running the president out of town, deservedly so, you look like a puppet, but we shouldn't all be covering our faces for his own shame.

They do work as long as the vast majority of people actually wear them.

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Wow, a new low point in this thread. 

Mocking a global pandemic with Samurai humor? 

Silly

Asian folks have been wearing masks for years.  Airports are full of people with masks on well before this virus and 99% were Asian.

I was in Japanese airport last year, tons of masks, no pandemic.  They are just ahead of the curve, better safe than sorry

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

is there a thread on this forum where someone isn't laughed out of the website for a post this stupid?

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They do work as long as the vast majority of people actually wear them.

Surgical masks are for bacteria and spit NOT a virus. False sense of security. Also increasing peoples daily CO2 which will make their immune system weaker. Sick people should not be gassing themselves for ANY reason. People with high blood pressure should NOT be wearing masks for any extended period. If you've had the flu shot you are recirculating covid as well as other flu shot goodies in your mask daily, which could lead to SARS.

Masks violate OSHA but nothing to see here.

YOU are responsible for your own health, nobody else cares, they only profit from ignorance.