• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

We addressed this like 200 pages ago.  Keep the vulnerable protected, let everyone else continue on.  But DON'T put infected people in with the vulnerable.  Some states should have used more common sense.

http://www.alexberenson.com/commentary-why-so-many-people-in-the-media-dislike-my-efforts-to-spread-facts-about-covid/

Edited by stirs

also i just read this this morning and it's hilarious as well as backing up my point about the uselessness of the gig economy and breaks it down pretty well

https://themargins.substack.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

basically door dash started doing deliveries from a pizza joint without telling them, but mislabeled one of his pizzas. So doordash paid 24 dollars for a pizza that they sold to customers for 16. 

Of course the owner of the pizza place just started ordering pizzas from his own place through doordash and pocketing the profit lmao

11 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

also i just read this this morning and it's hilarious as well as backing up my point about the uselessness of the gig economy and breaks it down pretty well

basically door dash started doing deliveries from a pizza joint without telling them, but mislabeled one of his pizzas. So doordash paid 24 dollars for a pizza that they sold to customers for 16. 

Of course the owner of the pizza place just started ordering pizzas from his own place through doordash and pocketing the profit lmao

I saw this on Silicon Valley

24 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

That's a funny story.

33 minutes ago, CRA said:

hopefully when this is all over....we have a better prepared approach for the next pandemic.   We didn't have to be in the position we currently are in. 

and there will be more.  We frankly are lucky COVID isn't more lethal.  I mean imagine if the next one has a SARS mortality rate and spreads like COVID.  The American superpower would be screwed based on how poorly we handled this. 

Maybe while we are over in S. Korea (our ally) teaching them about nukes and military drills.....we take some notes from them on how to address a pandemic properly. 

Right on. If we had better leadership and planning we could have seen this coming and responded appropriately. We had no idea what a pandemic would entail but other countries have already experienced similar things like SARS, MERS, ebola etc. It would be simple to go to the countries and ask them what to do and what you guys screwed up when handling the virus. The only good thing is we have firsthand experience of what something like this can do to the people and the economy. We can take it much more seriously when the next big pandemic hits. 

342a135974acd872398f3a41bce73bbe

So, basically what we're looking at if everything goes to plan is the possibility to be able to vaccinate high risk populations by year end with widespread vaccine access hopefully before 2021 cold/flu season kicks off.

Either way, the second wave is coming and it'll be rough. 

44 minutes ago, stirs said:

We addressed this like 200 pages ago.  Keep the vulnerable protected, let everyone else continue on.  But DON'T put infected people in with the vulnerable.  Some states should have used more common sense.

http://www.alexberenson.com/commentary-why-so-many-people-in-the-media-dislike-my-efforts-to-spread-facts-about-covid/

what are you suppose to do with households that have one or two vulnerable people but the rest can work? this is the case for many all over the country.

one of my friends' gf is weighing leaving the state and moving back to NC because he is being forced to go back to work or be fired. she is at risk. most people can't do this financially or they don't have another place to go.

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

what are you suppose to do with households that have one or two vulnerable people but the rest can work? this is the case for many all over the country.

one of my friends' gf is weighing leaving the state and moving back to NC because he is being forced to go back to work or be fired. she is at risk. most people can't do this financially or they don't have another place to go.

I think about this one...

...what happens to the teachers and administrative staff at schools that are vulnerable and can't go to work?  What if there are so many of them that the school can't function, or they have to close down so many classrooms that not all of the students can attend school?  Now those students get sent home?  And what happens to those parents that work, do they now have to stay home with their kids?  What if they try to send them out to daycare, but enrollment is closed?

That's just a small logic train, but you can see that there is a huge domino effect because so much of our workforce is vulnerable.  "Just" having them stay home and keep things going close to normal doesn't even work on paper, much less in reality.  I just focused on schools.  In reality, half the construction jobsites in America would stop work immediately because so many of the superintendents and foreman running the jobs are older.

Edited by Wes21
  • Beer 1

51 minutes ago, panthers1234 said:

Right on. If we had better leadership and planning we could have seen this coming and responded appropriately. We had no idea what a pandemic would entail but other countries have already experienced similar things like SARS, MERS, ebola etc. It would be simple to go to the countries and ask them what to do and what you guys screwed up when handling the virus. The only good thing is we have firsthand experience of what something like this can do to the people and the economy. We can take it much more seriously when the next big pandemic hits. 

Well, that can go two ways...

1.  We can handle it more seriously upfront next time. 

2.  It actually could have the opposite approach.    We do less wanting to avoid the economic problems we are facing.  This could be the problem if it largely is treated as a political crisis again instead of a healthcare crisis.  Which is in part the essential problem we faced with COVID and what got us into this problem.   No one side of the aisle exclusively owns that. 

Sadly, in America, we often repeat our mistakes. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

I don't think we can be so frozen that if we can't solve every issue, that we choose to solve none.

• Beer 1

Go ahead and go to church. Sing loud and proud from the bottom of your lungs. Put forth joyful noise (and lots of aerosol droplets). What could go wrong?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/nearly-200-possibly-exposed-coronavirus-religious-violated-stay-235400073--abc-news-topstories.html

California public health officials have notified more than 180 people that they may have been exposed to the coronavirus at a religious service held in violation of the state's stay-at-home order.

The Butte County public health department said Friday that an attendee at the service tested positive for the virus a day after the event.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, stirs said:

I don't think we can be so frozen that if we can't solve every issue, that we choose to solve none.

i'm not talking about being frozen. your plan simply wont work because vulnerable people are so mixed in with people who this doesn't affect as much. our lives are linked.

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Go ahead and go to church. Sing loud and proud from the bottom of your lungs. Put forth joyful noise (and lots of aerosol droplets). What could go wrong?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/nearly-200-possibly-exposed-coronavirus-religious-violated-stay-235400073--abc-news-topstories.html

California public health officials have notified more than 180 people that they may have been exposed to the coronavirus at a religious service held in violation of the state's stay-at-home order.

The Butte County public health department said Friday that an attendee at the service tested positive for the virus a day after the event.

So what.  The whole world is handling this thing so bassackwards, I am about worn out with trying to over legislate everyone and their every move.

If you are old and have health issues, stay home and watch it on the computer.  Let the rest get through it.

I am not for defying the law, but at some point, especially with the changing of info, lack of info, wrong info, hyper partisan info, you cannot expect people to just continue living their lives because Peter cried Wolf.

THIS is what happens when pols and media are more interested in the office they hold rather than the people they serve and allow themselves to manipulate the people, through the media.  People will soon not heed the idiocy

And the So What to begin with is just frustration with the new NEWS we get each day and the new and everchanging targets we are given.  Not a jab at you.  It is just one more story of "the world is going to end" by the media

Edited by stirs
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

i'm not talking about being frozen. your plan simply wont work because vulnerable people are so mixed in with people who this doesn't affect as much. our lives are linked.

Yes, but those that are not linked, should be able to go on and we work on smaller issues, like the ones that are linked.