• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

2 minutes ago, philit99 said:

No, martial law mean habeas corpus will be suspended. That means our local law enforcement and court system could be superseded by some form of the military. I think large cities where residents will need to remain in doors will be the ones effected. That’s my opinion.  

Don’t think that will happen at least not entirely.  The military will be visible during this, especially in larger cities and outbreak zones. I foresee their role being more assisting in keeping people safe (handing out food, etc).  and less law enforcement.

5 hours ago, top dawg said:

This is really assigning a lot of blame to our current administration--mirroring Trumps on words throughout this process--but it's hard to argue with. And, it shows how partisan politics is really not the game you want to be playing, when real leadership is required. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-are-sick-lost-february/608521/

We had a three month head start and the President ignored it, joked about it, and wouldn't listen to any of the warnings.  That's it.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

Don’t think that will happen at least not entirely.  The military will be visible during this, especially in larger cities and outbreak zones. I foresee their role being more assisting in keeping people safe (handing out food, etc).  and less law enforcement.

This is the way I see it as well.  I doubt it will every get to what I consider "True" Martial law.  I think the National Guard will be active in large cities to keep order, make sure people are staying in their homes.  Who knows, the attitude i'd say at least a 10th of the people have that I spoken to is that "I am not going to follow the rules".  On the news this morning they were showing state parks, areas by the coast...etc....were just packed with people.  People are treating this as some sort of vacation and that is going to be our downfall.  Instead of just getting this done and out of the way, people are not following the rules and will make this much worse / last much longer than it had to.   It may get to a point that you can literally not be out of your home for any reason if people do not follow the rules.  So far in Washington, the Governor has pleaded with people to just follow the rules but I can all but promise you they won't.  I haven't left my home for 3 days now, work is closed for 2 weeks ( possibly much longer ) and the only time I plan to leave is if I need food.  At the moment we have about 2 months worth stocked up in the pantry, just not fresh goods like fruit and veggies. 

We had an extremely rainy winter this year and this spring is supposed to be sunny, dry and beautiful.  Since people weren't getting out and doing stuff for 3 months, they all have cabin fever already before any of this started.  Its a recipe for disaster.   

Edited by Wolfpredator

You guys are too into "hating or loving" your gov officials.

Currently, we are between 1.1 and 1.2% death rate, similar to S Korea. Italy on the other hand is close to 9%.

All numbers change each day, but even though I am no fan of the current president, NO government was ready or could have been ready for this.

Get your head screwed on right.  Grind your axes when this is over.

If all we offer is our hatred of our political parties, we don't add much to the conversation.  Normally, governments have a year and a half headstart for the yearly flu.  Not many have budgets to have anything more than "hypothetical plans" in place for a sudden pandemic.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

All criminal courts are being delayed which impacts the right to a speedy trial.  This is especially true for people in jail who are awaiting trial. Child custody and other hearings are on hold. Parents have a constitutional right to parent their children. If the other parent just decides they don’t want to allow visitation to occur then too bad, it isn’t happening until court starts back. There are numerous other examples as well, but I dont want to bore you. 

Most of the non violent offenders who are in jail awaiting trial will probably be released until the trial situation is resolved.  This is done to keep them from being in large crowds and to slow the growth of the virus.  And probably because if they get it in jail, the state or county will have to cover the cost of treatment.  Its already starting to happen.  

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241343476.html

3 hours ago, Happy Panther said:

I mean yesterday his DOJ tried to suspend habeus corpus.

I wonder if they actually tried, or they just ask about the possibility of doing it.  I have no problem with them asking about the procedure for doing so, or the possibility of it passing.  Actually doing it though, well it is way to early for that.  

Fwiw, Trump might try to do it anyway.  Lincoln did it without asking for Congressional approval during the Civil War, although the courts eventually ruled that he didn't have the authority.  

Best we can hope for is the infamous "flattened curve".  The more we slow the peak, many things work in our favor.  Warmer weather, less crowded hospitals, catching up on medical equipment, distribution of antiviral drugs, and most importantly, resupplies of toilet paper.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, stirs said:

Currently, we are between 1.1 and 1.2% death rate, similar to S Korea. Italy on the other hand is close to 9%.

All numbers change each day, but even though I am no fan of the current president, NO government was ready or could have been ready for this.

If all we offer is our hatred of our political parties, we don't add much to the conversation.  Normally, governments have a year and a half headstart for the yearly flu.  Not many have budgets to have anything more than "hypothetical plans" in place for a sudden pandemic.

South Korea and Singapore were ready.

No government could've been ready for this while claiming it was a hoax for two months before finally waking up and realizing it was here and already widespread.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, stirs said:

We have a toddler at the helm of this pandemic who proceeded to gut the CDC when he entered office.

There are countless at risk Americans in this country who are not in a position to take your "listen guys, all sides are bad mkay" approach.

• Pie 1