• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Todd Gurley

WarHeel

12 hours ago, Shocker said:

Dude is 25.  Just a few seasons ago he was the fantasy bell cow.  

Oh wow, I thought he was a little older than that.

How quickly things change. This kind of puts in a dent in all the "CMC is only 23, he's worth however much we pay him" arguments we've seen peddled around here for months. His value will likely never be higher than now. We've also already been running him into the ground. If we give him an extension this year or the next there is a high probability we end up in the same boat as the Rams by the 2023/2024 season with an expensive highly paid RB no one wants to trade for.

16 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Oh wow, I thought he was a little older than that.

How quickly things change. This kind of puts in a dent in all the "CMC is only 23, he's worth however much we pay him" arguments we've seen peddled around here for months. His value will likely never be higher than now. We've also already been running him into the ground. If we give him an extension this year or the next there is a high probability we end up in the same boat as the Rams by the 2023/2024 season with an expensive highly paid RB no one wants to trade for.

Yes and no.

I'm not a fan of big RB contracts but Gurley is both a good and bad comparison to CMC. Gurley has a degenerative knee issue from an injury back in college. He's only 25 but he has arthritis in his knee from the damage (Much like many fear with Cam's shoulder). His knee was a known issues coming out of the draft. CMC has no (Fingers crossed) significant injury history. Because of this, Gurley's contract was always a higher risk than other RBs. 

CMC is also a legit threat in the slot, not just "good at receiver for a RB". CMC's route running game is all-worldly, he just happens to play RB. It will be interesting to see what he does if he starts to lose a step as RB. He very well could transition into the slot as he gets older because his skillset at receiver translates incredibly well to that position. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Yes and no.

I'm not a fan of big RB contracts but Gurley is both a good and bad comparison to CMC. Gurley has a degenerative knee issue from an injury back in college. He's only 25 but he has arthritis in his knee from the damage (Much like many fear with Cam's shoulder). His knee was a known issues coming out of the draft. CMC has no (Fingers crossed) significant injury history. Because of this, Gurley's contract was always a higher risk than other RBs. 

CMC is also a legit threat in the slot, not just "good at receiver for a RB". CMC's route running game is all-worldly, he just happens to play RB. It will be interesting to see what he does if he starts to lose a step as RB. He very well could transition into the slot as he gets older because his skillset at receiver translates incredibly well to that position. 

Let me ask you something. Is CMC a bionic man who cannot be injured? We thought #1 was teflon, we ran him into the ground too, and he was 6'5 250. Now where are we at?

I want to share your optimism, but reality needs to begin setting in for ya'll real soon. McCaffrey will not be able to sustain the amount of reps we have given him the last 2 years. If he is going to avoid the RB wall pretty much every other back the last 15 years has eventually ran into, we need to begin transitioning his role now. Otherwise if we are not willing to do that, I am sorry to say that he plays at an expendable position, and we should be exploring his value.

3 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Let me ask you something. Is CMC a bionic man who cannot be injured? We thought #1 was teflon, we ran him into the ground too, and he was 6'5 250. Now where are we at?

I want to share your optimism, but reality needs to begin setting in for ya'll real soon. McCaffrey will not be able to sustain the amount of reps we have given him the last 2 years. If he is going to avoid the RB wall pretty much every other back the last 15 years has eventually ran into, we need to begin transitioning his role now. Otherwise if we are not willing to do that, I am sorry to say that he plays at an expendable position, and we should be exploring his value.

Your position is valid here.  Chances are he will get injured, especially with the ridiculous work load he has been getting.  Sad but true

Any player’s career can end on one play at any time as shown by Shazier and others. There was reason to believe this would happen with Gurley before he was even drafted. There’s no reason to believe McC will have any issues in the next several years. Argue about paying a RB what it would cost to keep him, sure. But there is no doubt that he’s going to continue to be an elite offense weapon for years to come.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I don't know if you want to take the best running back in football and move him to reciever now because you are afraid he might get hurt is a good idea.  That's like the Rams only using Donald on 3rd down because he might get hurt on 1st and 2nd.  Why did you draft the guy at all then or resign him

Why is Christian McCaffrey so vastly different from all the other running backs who hit the same injury wall?

I can think of one crucial difference. I think that's where the disconnect ultimately begins for some.

He compares well to guys like Curtis Martin, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk... these guys never got hurt.

6 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Oh, no way dude, if we keep running him into the ground he'll be dead by 27. I feel you there. I'm just saying, he doesn't have Gurley's injury history and he is versatile enough to potentially have a part two of his career, kind of like John Smoltz, Rick Ankiel, or Charles Woodson (for an actual football comparison). I've just never seen it happen for an offensive player before. 

Archived