• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Raising a tough question or two

12 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Doesn’t matter.  The amount of money college programs bring in is crazy.  

This is not true. Most college programs lose money. Basketball and Football are the revenue sports and even then, how many of those programs turn a profit? It’s why revenue sharing in conferences is so important. 

31 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

I cant even imagine how there is  no season. The UFC pretty much had the best model. Hold the events. No fans. 

With all of the betting/revenue football brings (it beats all other sports combined) I can see where games do not happen. It may be in empty stadiums, but that's just too much money not flowing for those that make that football money to not do everything possible to re-establish. 

Noone needs to actually spend several hundred dollars to park, attend, eat at a game anyway for a crappy view and mostly staring at a big screen that you could have looked at for free at home.  But then, here comes the 2x or 3x of ads.

We Americans are hard headed and a bit stupid. We do things messy and perhaps not in the best way possible, but ALWAYS get the job done. There will be games

Anytime you lead an argument with an example of UFC defending your stance - uh, yeah, no thanks. 

2 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Worst case feel like college sports maybe get jammed into the Spring. Where possible, especially with the smaller sports, schedule and treat it like middle and high school sports and partner teams to travel together and play similar schedules. Schedule reductions as well, with less games and focus mostly on conference schedules.  As for football, no need for Clemson to play 3 William & Mary level exhibition games essentially, so reduce the schedule since the timeline may dictate that. 

Football plays from February - April/May without the long layoff between bowls, get a combine going as soon as the season ends, draft in late May.  No matter if football comes back in the Fall or Spring, reduced schedules and travel feel like the first thing on the table to me. 

That is a fallacy as well.  If that happens do you really think guys revor Lawrence is going to play?  How will the schedule work?  It doesnt make any sense.  IMO they are just going to shelve the entire season once cooler heads prevail. 

Look at it like this.  College players need a month at a minimum to prepare and that is stretching it.  Most if not all campuses are shut down through August.  What happens if some colleges reopen for fall and some dont and stay online?  How does that work for scheduling?  It sucks but there is no easy way about this and trying to force it to happen just isnt going to work.

If NCAA does have have a season, I could see them only playing in state schools. No team travels outside of their state to play a game. I dont know how it would work with a championship or rankings or anything but at least the players could play and get their chance to be drafted. 

I agree with Mr.Completely11.... a lot of schools are virtual and online. If the schools aren't opening up unitl August (best case scenario), how do these kids practice get up to speed physically with training and get their bodies ready for football?

It's a sh*tty reality, but it is what it is. 

I could see a shortened season at best. Maybe kickoff in October and hope for the best. Pandemic started in mid-late November last year, so maybe we get 5-6 games in and more than likely with no crowds at the stadium. 

It's just so hard to predict because we know so little about the virus.

Let's wait and see how this coronavirus crisis plays out for at least May & June before speculating. There's a lot of things going on, and this whole #ReopenAmerica thing and its effects will likely shed light on how things are going to go as far as whether the season begins. A fall uptick could play a part as to whether the season ends. 

But, reading the things I've read. I wouldn't bet on us having college or pro football, with or without fans in stadiums.

They don't even really have a handle on the way the Covid-19 attacks the body,land are now seeing an uptick in strokes in 30 and 40-something-year-olds! They don't even know if antibodies will keep people from getting the virus again!

These are the facts!

Archived