• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we cancelling practice today?

Snake

Can someone enlighten me (for real) what cancelling practice is doing to further social justice? It seems like an empty gesture. It’s easy to say hey let’s cancel practice and talk about racial inequality. It’s a whole other thing to actually advocate, raise funds, and push legislation to help the cause. 

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Can someone enlighten me (for real) what cancelling practice is doing to further social justice? It seems like an empty gesture. It’s easy to say hey let’s cancel practice and talk about racial inequality. It’s a whole other thing to actually advocate, raise funds, and push legislation to help the cause. 

Cancelling practice allows the players to engage in those acts during the times they would otherwise be practicing. Cancelling practice is a symbolic gesture, not so much an empty one, as they get very few practices as is. If this is an important enough issue for them to cancel and be active in their communities, that raises awareness.

2 minutes ago, Icege said:

Cancelling practice allows the players to engage in those acts during the times they would otherwise be practicing. Cancelling practice is a symbolic gesture, not so much an empty one, as they get very few practices as is. If this is an important enough issue for them to cancel and be active in their communities, that raises awareness.

it could also be players warming up to boycotting games, or certain games in a city that just had another 'random occurrence' of an unarmed citizen murdered by police.   i think that would be a hell of a thing.  i'd like to see the players boycott a game/games if they need to.  i'd like to see the owner's and cbs/fox/abc squirming and all bitching about $. in this cruel capitalist system $ is the only thing they will listen to.

Games and practices are cancelled and the players strike to make a point to the millions of white viewers that the majority black athletes won’t play a game or practice for entertainment while black people are murdered in the street by police. White people like me follow even practices daily, so a disruption in our games and teams will hopefully steer our attention to the larger problems happening in our country and maybe do something about it.

Plus, think about being part of a race that is killed by police without hesitation for anything. Think about knowing your kids face a danger of death beyond just general chance of an accident every time they walk out the door. Imagine knowing that you yourself could even be killed in this way just driving to or from practice. Imagine hearing a large portion of the country saying they don’t care about that or you and the people we’ve been brought up to believe protect us are the ones who are killing the people who look like you and that they basically never receive any punishment for it.

Add in the fact your race was enslaved and outwardly and legally discriminated against for centuries.

Imagine being told to just go to work and live your life and be happy. These players have feelings and emotions just like anyone. I can’t imagine the stress and dread that floats in and out of black people’s minds daily.

Drastic things need to happen. Like not allowing white people to have court side seats or 50 yard line tickets. Black people get first dibs at season tickets and discount tickets to blacks. Until white people understand they must suffer some to understand suffering. All lives can't matter. Hopefully the NBA will lead this charge. Of course there will have to be concessions for some like movie stars and politicians but if everyone holds out white America will stop killing black people. 

5 minutes ago, Snake said:

Drastic things need to happen. Like not allowing white people to have court side seats or 50 yard line tickets. Black people get first dibs at season tickets and discount tickets to blacks. Until white people understand they must suffer some to understand suffering. All lives can't matter. Hopefully the NBA will lead this charge. Of course there will have to be concessions for some like movie stars and politicians but if everyone holds out white America will stop killing black people. 

This isn't productive. This thread was going fine without your nonsense post. Your sarcasm and indifference is duly noted, so move along. 

3 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

This isn't productive. This thread was going fine without your nonsense post. Your sarcasm and indifference is duly noted, so move along. 

He started the topic just to say that.  Racists typically aren't that clever.

Archived