• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Armah

WarHeel

Armah  

31 members have voted

1. 1. The guy had two carries for 1 yard, one on the most significant play of the day. Worth the roster spot?

On Sunday Armah was given 2 carries and was able to generate 1 yard total, also failing  to convert on the most crucial play of the game.

I’m not going to pretend to be a football historian but the trend seems to be that the fullback position is a dying breed in the modern day NFL. I’m also not going to pretend to follow him on every snap whether it be blocking or ST play but for the life of me I can’t recall a time let alone a play that stands out to me since we drafted him that makes me think “this is why we keep this guy around.” I look at a guy like Colin Jones who many here mocked for several years that he was continually able to make the roster but when you see his ST play you can’t argue that he was one of our more productive guys. So here’s the deal...

Question: “Is Armah worth the roster spot?”

If YES: Convince everyone (or at least me) why.

If NO: Who/what position do you replace him with?

12 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I’m judging him on 3 years worth of production. Like I said, if I’m missing something stat or PFF-wise please let me know. 

Hes a 4 phase ST player and calls out the adjustments during punts and kicks. Hes a "glue" guy and all teams need them. His production doesnt come in stats. Most of the time when hes on the field fans are looking at their phones, eating, or doing a bathroom run. Lastly in convid year, he could play LB and DE if needed too. Hes also the welcomed quiet hard-working type that doesnt care about doing the dirty work.   

7 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I’m judging him on 3 years worth of production. Like I said, if I’m missing something stat or PFF-wise please let me know. 

It’s not his fault the previous regime underutilized him for whatever reason. Hoping the current staff will find a way to utilize him better.

And there’s plenty of blame to go around for yesterday’s failed 4th-and-1, most notably the terrible blocking. 

Armah is a solid player. If we're going to keep utilizing a FB for blocking and some rushing/receiving then of course we keep him. If not, then it's not a big loss to let him go, but appears our offense does utilize a FB which is a good thing.

12 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Then you're doing a very poor job of it if you are only taking into account his carries. 

Dude is an integral part of Special teams and the 3rd TE. He is versatile and helped to block for McCaffery the past two years where he rushed for over 1k yards each year. 

Like Star, he won't show up on the stat sheet himself but helps his teammates. 

1 minute ago, Prowler2k18 said:

most notably the terrible blocking. 

..most notably the terrible blocking..

..most notably Paradis's terrible blocking..

I just wanted to repeat that because it sounded vaguely important.

At this point our starting center does not remotely appear to be an NFL level blocker, whatever he may have been in the past.

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Then you're doing a very poor job of it if you are only taking into account his carries. 

Dude is an integral part of Special teams and the 3rd TE. He is versatile and helped to block for McCaffery the past two years where he rushed for over 1k yards each year. 

Like Star, he won't show up on the stat sheet himself but helps his teammates. 

That’s why the OP stated that I haven’t been keeping up with his other responsibilities. It’s why the question was generated. 

For now yes. If you want to talk blame, look to the blocking. Lots of no push. I would like to see him do some of Manhertz's work before letting him go. I would be perfectly happy cutting Manhertz tonight and looking for another long shot to contribute in a positive way or giving a shot to anyone else on the roster that wants to earn a role of blocking and some catching. 

I hope Daley gets healthy quickly, it would be great if someone in the middle of our Oline could get any kind of positive push against the opponents Dline in short yardage situations. 

I'll also put this in here. Most do not realize what type of mind-set you need for special teams. Being a 4 phase guy, hes on both returning units. The NFL changed kick-offs to reduce injuries(mainly concussions). Here is what happens on kick-off and a few punt returns. Teams put the LB, Safety, DEs, and WRs there. Most are around muscled up 260-220 LBs types. They run 50 yards as fast as possible. Rough maths- force equals mass x acceleration. 250 Lbs x 19 miles per hour....convert to metric, carry the 3, chew on pencil, pick nose...... and the answer is roughly 2,000 newtons of force. You have to "man-up" and stop roughly 2,000 newtons of force, good luck.... You begin to understand why even the special teamers get paid close to 1 million per season. 

Cooper had a great game as a returner, Armah played a big role in that. 

Archived