• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Patriots vs Jets

Hoenheim

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

It was the Jets guys... A whole lot of overreaction in this thread. 

Cam has looked good in 2 games this year - and those two games were against two of the worst pass defenses in the league - The Jets (29th) and the Seahawks (32nd and on pace to be the worst pass defense of all time).

I'm still interested in seeing if his shoulder looses zip as the season goes on. He got a nice mini break, so he still looks fresh. 

Either way, I'm still not sold on him being 100% back after narrowly squeaking out a win against the worst team in the NFL.

And while the rushing TDs and stats have been good, the guy has 2 (TWO) passing touchdowns in 7 starts this season... Along with 7 picks. That is just absolutely terrible. I've never in my life seen a starting QB throw so few touchdown passes. And you can't even blame it on the receivers or rest of the offense. Plenty of other crappy QBs have thrown at least a TD/game even with crap around them. Hell, Cam threw for 35 TDs with us in 2015 with receivers not a whole lot better than the Pats' this year. He's on pace for literally 4.5 passing touchdowns over a 16 game season... I can't even fathom that.

I actually suffered through most of last night's game for some unknown reason.  I actually thought both Cam and Flacco looked pretty decent (Flacco's interception being the exception, but that might have been the play call more than the actual interception). 

New England ran the ball well, and that looked like it was the game plan.  Given the fact that it worked and the Jets are 25th overall in rushing yards against, I have to think that was based on the opponent rather than anything to do with Cam.  Add to that the Pats receivers do not conjure up images of Jerry Rice and John Taylor, and you have to consider running the ball.

Incidentally, the Jets are decent in average rush against (4.1 yards), but bad in total yards against, and have faced a lot of rushing attempts.  So teams like to run against them, probably because the game is usually basically over after about 20 minutes. 

But I did not see anything about the QB play last night on either side that caused me any concerns. 

Unless Cam's shoulder fades as the rest of the season goes on, which is a legitimate concern, I think he will be on the field again next year if he wants to be.  It may not be with the Pats, but, unless something changes for the worse, it will be somewhere.  The good news for Cam is Cleveland is probably set, so he will not have to consider the QB graveyard there.  The buffoon in Dallas will probably be in the market, depending on what happens with Dak.

I didn't see the whole game last night, but I got a few impressions based on what I did see.

It felt a lot like I was watching 2018 Cam where he was sticking with shorter throws and less effective on the longer ones. Mind you, you can win like that so I don't view that as a big deal, but it's a change from his younger days.

The other primary thing is that the Patriots game plan was heavily run based, even running on third and long. That was surprising, but it worked so...why not?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I didn't see the whole game last night, but I got a few impressions based on what I did see.

It felt a lot like I was watching 2018 Cam where he was sticking with shorter throws and less effective on the longer ones. Mind you, you can win like that so I don't view that as a big deal, but it's a change from his younger days.

The other primary thing is that the Patriots game plan was heavily run based, even running on third and long. That was surprising, but it worked so...why not?

Exactly.  If you game plan to do something, and that something proves effective, you would have to be Bruce Arians to abandon it until the opponent proves they can stop it.  If you decide to run the ball, and the run works, the fact you stick to it is not an editorial on the passing game.

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Exactly.  If you game plan to do something, and that something proves effective, you would have to be Bruce Arians to abandon it until the opponent proves they can stop it.  If you decide to run the ball, and the run works, the fact you stick to it is not an editorial on the passing game.

Pretty much.

If a team wins a game, I'm not gonna complain that they didn't win at a certain way.

16 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Exactly.  If you game plan to do something, and that something proves effective, you would have to be Bruce Arians to abandon it until the opponent proves they can stop it. 

or joe brady 2nd half last week

I’m 1000% positive the over whelming majority of QBs would have lost yesterday’s game, matter of fact Brady has never beaten the jets when the score 27 or more.  Cam had to play near perfect with this rag tag group, reminds me of that 2017 season when it was a injured Funchess and a bunch of outcast

6 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Just watched the play where the Jets player got flagged for the head shot on Cam and came to say...what a difference a simple change in uniform makes.

That, or he's now old enough to get those calls /shrug 

Man y’all really clinging, and I mean clinging, to dear life on this 2-7 td ratio, who tf on the pats roster is a redzone threat??

your best redzone threat is cam Newton bullying his way to the endzone.

we got ppl trying to down play this game because it’s the jets, as if they didn’t watch the game, there was a point where cam had only one incompletion and the pats still were down by 10. He had to play damn near perfect just to be in position to win, just like last week.

Archived