• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Conundrum

WarHeel

There's also a 3rd group of people, me included, that think there are many problems on this team and we shouldn't be so singularly focused on upgrading qb over everything else. If there is an opportunity to improve on Teddy, we should take it. If we have a much lower grade on the available QBs compared to one of our other dozen weaknesses we should take the better player and wait for a later opportunity to upgrade Teddy sometime between now and the end of his reasonable 3 year contract. We shouldn't trade 5 picks to move up or settle for one of the qbs we have a 2nd round grade on when we have so many other positions we need to address. His contract gives us flexibility both ways - move on or be patient and build the best team for whichever qb we have running the show.

1 minute ago, WarHeel said:

I appreciate your sentiments regarding the signing. But again, the guy was 5-0 in NO. He was winning, so one could argue he had something there he doesn’t have here.

Have to at least give Sean Payton and Drew Brees credit and a little respect. Teddy has done EXACTLY as i suspected he would do without that NO talent around him including a superior offensive minded coach.

7 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

Y’all keep bringing up his 5-0 record in New Orleans and his open ended tenure in MN prior to a would be career ending injury for most like it proves anything other than the jury is still out. 

How is it any kind of logical to claim 34 games worth of film as a starter should be ignored? It's delusional to think that much film doesn't represent a player's potential, weaknesses, and tendencies.

The jury can still be out, sure, but the evidence was already strong and this season has 100% backed up the concerns. Barring a miraculous turnaround, dude ain't it.

You guys act like there are so many choices out there and we’re not rebuilding. What other choice is there? Cam is done. Herbert was snagged before we would have for sure taken him last year. He was the last legit QB on the board the next went like in the 4th round. And guess what? This year is no better. There are top 3 and then no one looking close to a possible franchise QB after them.

And before saying something like start Grier to get the first pick, this isn’t madden. You don’t hire a new coach and blatantly tank. The players won’t buy it and neither will the coaches. It would have built a shitty culture.

But you know what? Wouldn’t of mattered anyways. The defense just gave up 46 points today, who is this magical QB you guys have in mind that’s going to beat that? Worst defense in the league.

TB is simply implementing a system and will be doing it next year too, get used to it and realize we are probably rebuilding key areas before being able to see the future QB unless we mortgage the future to get one, which would be incredibly stupid given the defense is historically putrid.

Be patient and enjoy the process.

26 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

If Teddy is truly subpar and play calling is only a representation of his skill set then why not place blame on staff/management for charading him as someone who has what it takes to consistently lead this team to victory? That’s what we were fed this off-season. NO ONE in leadership of this new regime even slightly hinted at the fact that Teddy was a bridge (no pun intended) in the long term plans of this organization’s future. 

“if teddy isn’t good then why didn’t the coaching staff throw him under the bus immediately after signing him???”

hmm yes that’s an excellent point you have there. totally unrelated note here but earlier today you had to have someone explain to you that the booth initiates reviews when only 2 minutes or less remain in a half.

1 minute ago, Peon Awesome said:

There's also a 3rd group of people, me included, that think there are many problems on this team and we shouldn't be so singularly focused on upgrading qb over everything else. If there is an opportunity to improve on Teddy, we should take it. If we have a much lower grade on the available QBs compared to one of our other dozen weaknesses we should take the better player and wait for a later opportunity to upgrade Teddy sometime between now and the end of his reasonable 3 year contract. We shouldn't trade 5 picks to move up or settle for one of the qbs we have a 2nd round grade on when we have so many other positions we need to address. His contract gives us flexibility both ways - move on or be patient and build the best team for whichever qb we have running the show.

For the record, I’m in the third camp as well. I think we can win with the right pieces around Teddy. But it’ll require a lot more than what we are seeing regarding pass protection and the defense as a whole.

After today we are likely the worst team in the league against stopping 3rd and long conversions. Those add up and Teddy has no bearing on them.

4 minutes ago, onmyown said:

You guys act like there are so many choices out there and we’re not rebuilding. What other choice is there? Cam is done. Herbert was snagged before we would have for sure taken him last year. He was the last legit QB on the board the next went like in the 4th round. And guess what? This year is no better. There are top 3 and then no one looking close to a possible franchise QB after them.

And before saying something like start Grier to get the first pick, this isn’t madden. You don’t hire a new coach and blatantly tank. The players won’t buy it and neither will the coaches. It would have built a shitty culture.

But you know what? Wouldn’t of mattered anyways. The defense just gave up 46 points today, who is this magical QB you guys have in mind that’s going to beat that? Worst defense in the league.

TB is simply implementing a system and will be doing it next year too, get used to it and realize we are probably rebuilding key areas before being able to see the future QB unless we mortgage the future to get one, which would be incredibly stupid given the defense is historically putrid.

Be patient and enjoy the process.

Ding ding ding.

Just now, WarHeel said:

Or don’t sign him the first place...

when they signed him i was assured by people on this forum that it was actually a steal. turns out they bid against themselves and ended up paying like $21 million AAV to a backup quarterback. i don’t know how the FO would try to justify it in private but i suspect it had everything to do with needing to save face and not wanting to tank fan interest after cutting cam. 

10 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

That’s essentially what Tepper inferred in that it’ll be a 5 year process. I’m paraphrasing but he at least had the balls to call it like it is. 

Right. The team is taking a five year approach towards sustained success. That doesn’t necessarily mean Teddy is getting five. I think he gets two. I don’t think Teddy is here long term unless he gets significantly cheaper and wants to take a backup roll. 

7 minutes ago, KSpan said:

How is it any kind of logical to claim 34 games worth of film as a starter should be ignored? It's delusional to think that much film doesn't represent a player's potential, weaknesses, and tendencies.

The jury can still be out, sure, but the evidence was already strong and this season has 100% backed up the concerns. Barring a miraculous turnaround, dude ain't it.

You’re talking roughly 2 seasons worth of games with a significant lapse in time in the mix with the knee injury. I think it’s only logical to assume there are some unknowns.

I call BS. Teddy is paid like a legit starting QB in the NFL. So far he’s a good first half QB. After that we might as well take him out of the game. Being clutch is a crucial attribute to playing the position. He routinely throws stupid INTs when the pressure is on or he doesn’t take chances at all and checks down. Which pads his stats and gets him karma points on the huddle. 

He has failed over and over the entire losing streak with the game on the line. He’s a nice guy, smart and can execute the game plan. But he doesn’t have the intangible chromosome the better QBs in the NFL have. We would seriously be better off with Cam and seeing how he could adapt to this scheme.

Archived