• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Slye or Butker

DaveThePanther2008

17 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

In that regard, he is just like every other GM/Team in the league.  All of them have their home runs and strikeouts.    

Absolutely. And in similar respects kickers as well. We have been spoiled at the K position for the most part as we could have done much worse over the years. 

7 hours ago, BrianS said:

Slye is improving and as a Panthers fan I'm very excited to see it, but he's also known to be inconsistent.  I want to see him develop that consistency over more than a few games.  I've seen him have a few good games.  Right now, Butker is the better kicker.  People who can't see that are still trying to justify why he's here instead of either

You know Slye led the league for most consecutive made kicks prior to his miss in the windy game right?

2 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Relevance?

Relevance?  It's Relevant since the XP should be a given.  I like Butker but he has his faults and as many have pointed out most of Slye's missed kicks have been from long range. 

So I wouldn't say Butker is hands down better.  He has his issues too.  His preseason performance was part of the reason we stuck with Gano and of course Ron loves his vets. 

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Relevance?  It's Relevant since the XP should be a given.

So I wouldn't say Butker is hands down better. 

XP's used to be a given, not anymore.

Kickers will miss kicks, it's a fact of life.  Personally I'd rather my kicker make the 3-pointers and miss the occasional 1-pointer, but that's just me. 

In Butker's first 2-seasons all the kicks he took were worth 304 points, he made 297 points...left 25 points on the table.

So far in Slye's first 2 seasons kicks taken are worth 237 points, he's made 195 points...has left 42 points on the table...assuming same number of opportunities he's on pace to leave 54 points on the table, over double what Butker did in first 2 seasons.

On 11/23/2020 at 1:54 PM, BrianS said:

You say you hate doing it . . . and then you did it.

How do you know which Butker kicks to "take out" over his career?  Have you watched every Butker kick in context of the game situation to decide which ones he shouldn't be responsible for making?  I know, I know.  No one does that.  But the point remains, how many of Butkers kicks should be given the same consideration?  I bet you there are some. 

I hesitate to point it out, but in fact Butker has hit a longer FG (58) this year than Slye (56).  It's not like Butker is being handed "easy" kicks.  Butker simply doesn't get as many FG's because KC, well, they stick it in the end zone way more often.

Sure, Slye is improving and as a Panthers fan I'm very excited to see it, but he's also known to be inconsistent.  I want to see him develop that consistency over more than a few games.  I've seen him have a few good games.  Right now, Butker is the better kicker.  People who can't see that are still trying to justify why he's here instead of either of the other kickers who "might" have been.

Did you read my full message? I literally wrote "Butker wins in the overall sample size and consistently, by a wide margin right now"

On 11/24/2020 at 6:25 PM, SizzleBuzz said:

XP's used to be a given, not anymore.

Kickers will miss kicks, it's a fact of life.  Personally I'd rather my kicker make the 3-pointers and miss the occasional 1-pointer, but that's just me. 

In Butker's first 2-seasons all the kicks he took were worth 304 points, he made 297 points...left 25 points on the table.

So far in Slye's first 2 seasons kicks taken are worth 237 points, he's made 195 points...has left 42 points on the table...assuming same number of opportunities he's on pace to leave 54 points on the table, over double what Butker did in first 2 seasons.

Anyone can manipulate stats.  What were the distances he missed?  

I'm not disputing that Butker is a good kicker, I'm disputing the claim that he is hands down better then Slye. 

9 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Anyone can manipulate stats.  What were the distances he missed?  

I'm not disputing that Butker is a good kicker, I'm disputing the claim that he is hands down better then Slye. 

Simple addition and subtraction -- no "manipulation". 

I said nothing about "hands down".  Someone else was trying to make a backdoor case that Slye is better than Butker because Butker has missed a few extra points this season...

...well the market will decide it for us after this season.

Butker is in year-1 of a $20,750,000 contract (5-years).

Let's see what Slye gets offered after this season... (he's not under contract past this year as far as I can tell)

Archived