• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Clemson fans...quick question?

Toomers

Just now, kungfoodude said:

You talking about as a prospective NFL coach?

No. But I did read that the Panthers had some interest when they were searching for Ruhle. That sort of surprised me. 

It’s for Auburn. I think it’s the job he’s looking for and I think he’s the coach they need to take a step forward much like Clemson has done over the last decade. 

22 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Recently was part of a conversation about potential HC candidates available and Tony Elliott was a very impressive choice on paper. Any insight into him would be appreciated. TIA. 

Tony Elliott would be a great HC, IMO. 

A lot of Clempson fans NOW were fans of a different college team 5 years ago. Doubt they even know who you are talking about. 

one Clempson coach to keep an eye on is DC Brent Venables. He will be the HC at UNC once Mack retires, pending, or course, he does not take over for Dabum once he leaves for Bama. 

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

Recently was part of a conversation about potential HC candidates available and Tony Elliott was a very impressive choice on paper. Any insight into him would be appreciated. TIA. 

I think Venables is by far the best coordinator in Clemson.  He schemes up tremendous game plans and situational stuff.   

This is actually Elliot's first year being the lone OC.  He's definitely good.  But it has always been a mystery in Clemson IMO about how good the OCs are.  During this run of the last several years it was a shared job and not exclusively Elliot's.   How much of it is just a system that elite talent thrives in?   

but I think Venables is the BEST DC in college football.  Elliot is one of the best OCs.  Elliot just is harder to judge given how Clemson has run their offense the last several years with co-coordinators.  Plus, the Clemson OCs outside of one year w/ Kelly Bryant have had the luxury of having the best QB in college football in their laps (Watson/Lawerence).  Which is pretty absurd to go from Watson to Lawrence to.....DJ.  That makes life pretty easy on an OC. 

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

It’s for Auburn. I think it’s the job he’s looking for and I think he’s the coach they need to take a step forward much like Clemson has done over the last decade. 

War Eagle, my friend. 

I think the Tigers would be well served to look at the same route the basketball team recently took with Bruce Pearl. He was a guy who had all kinds of NCAA troubles, rehabilitated his career and now has the Auburn basketball team in a better place than it's ever been. There's a guy we could look at it with a very similar back story. 

Hugh Freeze.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Venables is by far the best coordinator in Clemson. 

This is actually Elliot's first year being the lone OC.  He's good.  But it has always been a mystery in Clemson IMO about how good the OCs are.  As during this run the last several years it was s shared job.  How much of it is just a system that elite talent thrives in. 

That is exactly the questions I had about Elliot. But if he keeps getting elite talent, and it keeps working, I’m good. That’s probably the slight edge I give to Elliott. Recruiting. He could keep Chad Morris to help with the offense. 

The problem at AU is the huge buyouts on Malzahn and other coaches. Around 25M. I would be happy to have either one over being stuck in neutral another year. 

Thanks for help

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Venables is by far the best coordinator in Clemson.  He schemes up tremendous game plans and situational stuff.   

This is actually Elliot's first year being the lone OC.  He's definitely good.  But it has always been a mystery in Clemson IMO about how good the OCs are.  During this run of the last several years it was s shared job and not exclusively Elliot's.   How much of it is just a system that elite talent thrives in?   

but I think Venables is the BEST DC in college football.  Elliot is one of the best OCs.  Elliot just is harder to judge given how Clemson has run their offense the last several years with co-coordinators.  Plus, the Clemson OCs outside of one year w/ Kelly Bryant have had the luxury of having the best QB in college football in their laps (Watson/Lawerence)

Yeah, there's a reason why Venables is the highest paid assistant coach in college football.

Archived