• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which statement holds true?

WarHeel

There’s obviously some gray area here but wanted to get everyone’s take on this. With our current draft order some have proposed going OT (specifically LT) if the chips fall as opposed to drafting the 3rd or 4th best option at QB.

So the question I pose is “which of these two statements holds the most true?”

1) A franchise QB can have continued success with having a mediocre LT. 

2) Even a mediocre QB can have his game elevated just by plugging in a franchise LT. 

I’d argue we’ve already seen both scenarios play out in Carolina history.

False dichotomy. Too many other particulars to consider. Generational players are very rare. If it comes down to generational LT vs. Possible franchise QB, we go with the former. Problem is, even the "sure thing" generational players are all-too-often misjudged. Personally, I think it's easier to judge a LT than QB, but that's just me.

5 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

False dichotomy. Too many other particulars to consider. Generational players are very rare. If it comes down to generational LT vs. Possible franchise QB, we go with the former. Problem is, even the "sure thing" generational players are all-too-often misjudged. Personally, I think it's easier to judge a LT than QB, but that's just me.

It’s why I phrased the question as most true.

There aren’t any absolute truths in football.

1 minute ago, WarHeel said:

It’s why I phrased the question as most true.

There aren’t any absolute truths in football.

Again, without considering so many other factors, "most true" is meaningless. You're looking for arguments for or against taking Sewell over a QB, I get that. I've made mine. I think we have to take him if he drops to us. But there are reasonable arguments against that position.

#1 holds most true. First, I don’t think Sewell falls to us so it doesn’t matter. Second, if Wilson or Lance are QBs we think could be studs you don’t ever pass on them for a LT. How many SBs have Tyron Smith, Joe Thomas and Anthony Munoz won? Orlando Pace did but he had Kurt Warner, Bruce, Holt and Faulk.

It’s a team game but a stud QB elevates a team way more than a stud LT. Arguing otherwise is silly. It’s because of that reason that QBs probably bust more because they are worth reaching for if they hit.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

#1 holds most true. First, I don’t think Sewell falls to us so it doesn’t matter. Second, if Wilson or Lance are QBs we think could be studs you don’t ever pass on them for a LT. How many SBs have Tyron Smith, Joe Thomas and Anthony Munoz won? Orlando Pace did but he had Kurt Warner, Bruce, Holt and Faulk.

It’s a team game but a stud QB elevates a team way more than a stud LT. Arguing otherwise is silly. It’s because of that reason that QBs probably bust more because they are worth reaching for if they hit.

This is also true.

2 minutes ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

There is no more important position in any team sport than quarterback. A franchise QB makes all other offensive players better players. Mobility,  recognition, discipline, brains, quick decisions, and arm talent lift all "boats".

True but you have to be convinced that the QB you are getting is elite. If your evaluation is that Wilson, Lance, Jones, Trask are all equal in terms of risk and not "sure things" it isn't illogical to pass on them. 

It hurts a franchise just as much to invest in something far from a sure thing(See the Trubisky's of the league).

Getting a franchise LT would be a consolation prize of we couldn't get a franchise QB. It won't happen because the one in this draft will be gone by our pick. The real screw would be that LT off the board and none of the QBs left are what we need them to be. Option 3 would really suck for us but it's still better than taking a QB or LT that isn't it but is left on the board.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Getting a franchise LT would be a consolation prize of we couldn't get a franchise QB. It won't happen because the one in this draft will be gone by our pick. The real screw would be that LT off the board and none of the QBs left are what we need them to be. Option 3 would really suck for us but it's still better than taking a QB or LT that isn't it but is left on the board.

That would really suck if Wilson or Lance isn’t our guy because we all know Sewell, Lawrence and Fields are very likely gone. Maybe Lawrence will pull an Eli and maybe Jacksonville likes Sewell better. Hopefully, we think Wilson or Lance will be a stud and even more the one we take does turn into a stud.

Just now, stbugs said:

That would really suck if Wilson or Lance isn’t our guy because we all know Sewell, Lawrence and Fields are very likely gone. Maybe Lawrence will pull an Eli and maybe Jacksonville likes Sewell better. Hopefully, we think Wilson or Lance will be a stud and even more the one we take does turn into a stud.

It's a terrifying thought. This early in the process fans fall in love but it's way too early and the only locks, if no issues arise, are the 3 guys you mentioned. We fall right outside of that shelf at this time.  Hell, the QBs have no film throwing real NFL sized footballs yet and some people don't see that as a potential hurdle. This process is far from done so I'll keep hoping we can get a good QB without a noodle arm.

Archived