• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

dErriCk BRoWn caN't RUsH thE qUarTeRbACk

tiger7_88

2 hours ago, WarHeel said:

So does Hurney still suck? Been seeing a lot of praise for Burns, Chinn, Brown, etc. 

Not a Hurney apologist, just genuinely curious.

Absolutely. His contracts are still garbage and we're already going to have a hard time building a complete team because of them.

4 hours ago, rah53 said:

Cox had 5.5 sacks in his 1st year, which isn't great but very decent for a rookie, then was not as effective over the next couple of years.

KK had 1.5 after being the 2nd round pick behind Star. KK started to get recognised in his 3rd season.

My point is, for about 98% of DTs, it takes more than their 1st year to get a gauge of how well they are holding their own in the NFL. The trenches, on both sides, takes a year or 2.

This thread is about brown getting after the QB, but that's not exactly what he's been drafted for. Like most DTs, they're acquired to take up space or command a double team. It's on the LBs from there.

Star and KK’s first year impact was exactly what our D needed at the time. However, you have to remember who our DTs were prior. Fua and McClain. The bar had been set pretty low.

2 hours ago, WarHeel said:

So does Hurney still suck? Been seeing a lot of praise for Burns, Chinn, Brown, etc. 

Not a Hurney apologist, just genuinely curious.

The draft is a small percent of a GMs job, and consensus is, Hurney’s biggest faults aren’t the draft. Especially top 10 picks he receives from the result of the team he built.

5 hours ago, AU-panther said:

So he is good at rushing the passer since he has 2 sacks in one game?

So what was he when he only had 2 sacks over 13 games?

You can't use one game to try and win a "I told you so argument"

On a side note, does that stat line mean that Tre Boston had a really good game?

Either way I don't understand people around.

Top 10 pick is playing as well or better than most other rookies.

I would hope so.

Playing well as a rookie isn't the same as playing well and a lot of people around here leave that part out or just don't understand the difference.  People around here tend to see what they want to about a player based on their views of that player going into the season.  People who wanted Brown as the pick are looking for anything to make themselves seem right, people who didn't want him are also looking for anything to make themselves seem right.  

Brown has struggled at times this year, especially early in the season, that is understandable as a rookie.  Admitting that doesn't mean you were wrong about drafting that player it means you are watching the entire tape and being objective..   Personally, I've actually been a little surprised that his pass rush has been better than his run defense this year.  

People need to learn to watch coaches tape and actually watch a player on every play, not just watch the ball or form opinions off of what announcer say.  So many people around here just see the splash plays, good and bad, and form their opinions off of that.  I can see one play or hear one comment from an announcer on Sunday and pretty much predict the opinions that will be floated around here on Monday.  A lot of people around here will create opinion off a players entire season off of just a handful of plays.

There he is, lol.

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Being an Auburn fan doesn't preclude me from being objective.  War Eagle!!

Side note, who is our coach going to be?

As long as the new coach isn’t named Kevin Steele, I’ll be OK with him.  Gus Malzahn did as much damage to me mentally with regard to football as Ron Rivera did and I couldn’t be happier that he’s in our rear-view mirror.

My fave of the choices? Billy Napier at U. of Louisiana.  (I’d prefer Matt Campbell from Iowa State but I just haven’t heard his name in the conversation for some reason.)

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

As long as the new coach isn’t named Kevin Steele, I’ll be OK with him.  Gus Malzahn did as much damage to me mentally with regard to football as Ron Rivera did and I couldn’t be happier that he’s in our rear-view mirror.

My fave of the choices? Billy Napier at U. of Louisiana.  (I’d prefer Matt Campbell from Iowa State but I just haven’t heard his name in the conversation for some reason.)

I'm hoping its not Steele either but I'm afraid we might both be disappointed.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

I'm hoping its not Steele either but I'm afraid we might both be disappointed.

I wouldn’t be disappointed, I’d be done.

For many painful Gus years now, all I’ve felt for Auburn football is apathy. If the Auburn powers won’t to turn that apathetic relationship I and many others feel to disgust and divorce, then they should just go ahead and hire Kevin Steele cuz that would do it.

Archived