• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those wanting to draft a QB.... here's an interesting article in PFT

musicman

23 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Let's say there is some validity to this argument--and I detest any argument that applies selective logic and examples to make assumptions about the whole---then let's take a look at the damaged goods that are likely to be available in free agency or via low-ball trade should rumors come true.

1. Darnold would be available.  He has/had a terrible situation in NY.

2. Trubiski would be available.  In a good system with solid WRs, could he become reborn in Carolina?

3. Stafford on another team (if these rumors are true) could be amazing.  Although I cannot remember the last Lions QB, he is only 32 and could have 5-6 solid years left (That is about what we got out of Cam).

4. Wentz has been in a terrible situation.  What could he do with a strong supporting cast?

5. Lock is a player who looked good against us, but has been inconsistent.  He reminds me of Tannehill in Miami before the Titans acquired him.  Could he be a hidden gem?

6.  Haskins has all the tools, he simply makes bad decisions on a bad team.  Imagine a team that provided him with protection and more options?  A really effective QB coach and a QB-friendly system would work wonders for him---he wants to turn over a new leaf, I assume, or he will bust. It will not happen in Washington.

There is one thing these guys have that no draft pick has--NFL experience. Not good experiences, but bad experience is a teaching tool as well as success is....

You have to rid the bad taste in your mouth surrounding each player.  I used to be an educational administrator, and I was was famous for saying, "There are no bad kids.  There are kids in bad situations."   I think that applies to QB as well.  These are options should we decide to draft a Sewell in the first and a CB or MLB in the second.  We could bring in one of these unloved, neglected, discarded QBs and put him as the #2 heading into the season. 

Not saying this is the plan or that it should be, but I am saying that this is an option nobody here is discussing.

Haskins is a dummy. I don't think bringing him here is a wise idea. Let the Redskins figure out if he is ever gonna mature.

Lock is a league minimum kind of player, not someone you trade draft capital for.

Wentz would be interesting but his price is steep. You better be 100% sure if you make a move like that. Also, he is pretty injury prone.

Stafford is another injury prone guy. Plus, does it make sense to bring in a veteran like that during a rebuild? If so, why not just keep Teddy?

Trubisky would be interesting option on one year deal. Maybe you get a decent quality backup option with him.

Darnold would have to be a trade and I don't think it makes a lot of sense to trade draft picks for a QB on a 1 year deal.

40 minutes ago, musicman said:

We are not going to get Lawrence. Do we take a QB at 4 or 5? What happens it doesn't work out? If we had the #1 pick, it's Trevor all the way. But we don't. 

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Haskins is a dummy. I don't think bringing him here is a wise idea. Let the Redskins figure out if he is ever gonna mature.

Lock is a league minimum kind of player, not someone you trade draft capital for.

Wentz would be interesting but his price is steep. You better be 100% sure if you make a move like that. Also, he is pretty injury prone.

Stafford is another injury prone guy. Plus, does it make sense to bring in a veteran like that during a rebuild? If so, why not just keep Teddy?

Trubisky would be interesting option on one year deal. Maybe you get a decent quality backup option with him.

Darnold would have to be a trade and I don't think it makes a lot of sense to trade draft picks for a QB on a 1 year deal.

Yeah, I read some stuff on him after this post---and he reminds me of Jamarcus Russell.  Blowing millions--

these contracts is where we'd have to proceed with caution.  Getting 4 years of rookie pay at QB could be worth the growing pains for a year or so.

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Yeah, I read some stuff on him after this post---and he reminds me of Jamarcus Russell.  Blowing millions--

these contracts is where we'd have to proceed with caution.  Getting 4 years of rookie pay at QB could be worth the growing pains for a year or so.

Yeah, I would rather gamble draft than trade for those guys. I really like Wentz but you have to wonder if he has it anymore after this season.

1 hour ago, musicman said:

We are not going to get Lawrence. Do we take a QB at 4 or 5? What happens it doesn't work out? If we had the #1 pick, it's Trevor all the way. But we don't. 

We have to let it all play out. Busts are a part of every draft but you have to trust in your talent evaluators and draft process. That will be an unknown for the first time in a while for us.

1 hour ago, musicman said:

Cam didn't turn around the franchise. He was great. We still had up and down seasons. And we had a great defense. We didn't have enough talent around him, especially in 2015 to complete the job. He was great and did wonders for the organization. The article is just pointing out that it's not even 50/50 that a high draft pick will turn around a franchise and how many were pushed back years because of a bad pick, not to mention the good picks that can't do it alone. 

2015 is a terrible example of "not good enough".  Our team was PLENTY good enough to win the SB that year - even with the injuries.  Our OC on the other hand failed to make even the slightest adjustment during the biggest game in the sport with a clear picture of exactly what was wrong.  If we had Norv for that year, we probably have a Lombardi in the house right now.  2015 was a classic Norv offense.  Extremely strong running game, dangerous with the deep ball.

The article is a very shallow selection of material, and doesn't do a very good analysis.  All you should really glean from that article is that projecting which college QB's will succeed and which will fail is very hard to do.  Bad organizations are just going to be bad until they change the culture.  Consider the case of the Seattle Seahawks.

They were a marginal to failing team until they got Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson.  Bring in a new way of thinking, and successfully draft a franchise QB and suddenly you have a perennial playoff contender.

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We have to let it all play out. Busts are a part of every draft but you have to trust in your talent evaluators and draft process. That will be an unknown for the first time in a while for us.

I hear you and I agree with you but the current coaches and talent evaluators chose Teddy to be the QB1. IE- Brady worked with Teddy in New Orleans and thought he was that perfect QB to run this offense. 
With that, what gives us confidence they can evaluate a kid coming out of college? Other than Trevor, there are no slam dunk QB’s coming out in 2021. Herbert was so close this draft! 

4 minutes ago, thennek said:

I hear you and I agree with you but the current coaches and talent evaluators chose Teddy to be the QB1. IE- Brady worked with Teddy in New Orleans and thought he was that perfect QB to run this offense. 
With that, what gives us confidence they can evaluate a kid coming out of college? Other than Trevor, there are no slam dunk QB’s coming out in 2021. Herbert was so close this draft! 

No, they chose him to be a bridge.  Look at the contract.  Even if it runs to the end, it's only three years.  And we have an out after two.  That's not a franchise QB contract.  They chose TB5 to be a guy until we find the guy, and gave themselves up to three years to do so.

Just now, BrianS said:

No, they chose him to be a bridge.  Look at the contract.  Even if it runs to the end, it's only three years.  And we have an out after two.  That's not a franchise QB contract.  They chose TB5 to be a guy until we find the guy, and gave themselves up to three years to do so.

I hear you...But they chose him to be the bridge. They collectively sought him out to be the Panthers QB for some period of time. So was it bad scouting, or they overestimated Teddys abilities? 

A few thoughts.  The article is short on supporting information, and it is also targeted (I think) at fans of perennial bottom of the barrel franchises who expect one player to instantly change the franchise.

Part of this is why I would not be surprised to see the Jets trade down for a draft pick bounty.  While they will get less at #2 than they would have at #1, it becomes a lot harder to justify trading the #1 pick while Lawrence and Sewell are on the board.  Everybody expects them to select a QB, but I don't know if Darnold is the problem because the rest of the team is so short on talent we really can't tell.

Teams drafting early are doing so for a reason.  If they are continually drafting high, the reason is beyond the roster, and if they do so long enough, beyond the coaching staff.  It almost becomes an accident when they have a decent season, and that usually does not last long.

23 minutes ago, thennek said:

There's no such thing as a slam dunk. We've never seen Trevor play on a bad team. We're about to find out of he's the truth or if he's a front runner.,

16 minutes ago, thennek said:

I hear you...But they chose him to be the bridge. They collectively sought him out to be the Panthers QB for some period of time. So was it bad scouting, or they overestimated Teddys abilities? 

Yes, I understand they chose him.

Now, bear in mind they were looking for a bridge, and consider who they had to choose from:

image.png.97233a875e5b9d67aa8ea841e0c9df71.png

Mariota signed immediately with the Raiders, we had no shot.  Dalton wasn't available until post draft.  Brady and Rivers would not be interested in a rebuilding team.  So who do you choose?

Archived