• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'd give Haskins a look this offseason.

Jeremy Igo

14 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

If you don't remember the pick was greatly criticized as a reach. Snyder forced it because Haskins went to the same high school as Snyder's son.  Draft position doesn't mean poo when you prove you can't play.

He's had a terrible time of it for sure! But ask yourself, "How much was him, and how much was his situation?" 

People need to stop acting like he was bereft of talent. From a purely physical talent standpoint, he may be more talented than any QB on our roster. It's the professionalism that's nowhere to be found! Perhaps with his humbled mindset and a willingness to learn from actual developers of talent, maybe someone can help him to actually maximize his talent! If not, he can be cut. It's not some high-risk proposition!

15 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I personally prefer my players to have their head on straight when they leave college as they are adults but that’s just me. No one should have to influence you to do better when you’re in a position of privilege such as those who get paid huge money to play a game.

WH, I respect your positions on here--you make sense and know football.  However, I can tell you, some athletes are so celebrated and pampered, their heads were never challenged.  Most do not pull out of a nosedive like this; they crash and burn.  If Rivera were our coach, I would probably agree 100% because he uses his doghouse as a motivator, and some players are not motivated by negativity.  I do not know that was the case, but it may have had something to do with it.  What if Haskins is going through a personal "awakening?"  What if he needed to be humbled for him to get to the next level.  What if he needs Rhule?

I have taught college students and I now teach grad students.  They are still learning and developing as people.  They are awkward and clumsy as they learn their professions.  They make mistakes and get mad.  Some sail through, others need the right coach.

Do I think Haskins is the answer here?  Hell no.  Do I think we should discard any further investigations into his situation to see if there is a glimmer of hope for him?  No.  Why?  This is a business, and when the investment risk is low and the upside is tremendous, you can accept longshot odds. Frankly, I can't believe anyone would say "No, we should not take a look at a former first round draft pick who is being coached by a man who never developed a QB in his life." 

The only way I would not take a look is if he is a cancer--and that could be the case--but I have not read that.

24 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

If you don't remember the pick was greatly criticized as a reach. Snyder forced it because Haskins went to the same high school as Snyder's son.  Draft position doesn't mean poo when you prove you can't play and aren't willing to put in the prep work.

I recall folks dunking on the Giants for taking Jones over Haskins.

This revisionist history of Haskins being a reach is wild.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

A mentor can instill professionallism. Can't instill physical gifts. Swap him with Grier, give him a chance. If he doesn't change, cut him. Worst case scenario is you lose a guy that was inactive all year long 

I look at this as a good player who fell into the hellish fire pit that is aka the QB position on a Rivera-coached team.  When you are playing well, he runs you into the ground.  When you are underperforming, he throws you under the bus and into the doghouse.  So we are going to blame the 23-year old trying to learn a new system? 

As the #3 QB, Haskins could work on his skill set, watch the game for a while, and compete.  Grier is no threat to start here.  Walker is not a threat either.  Some have said "No" to a recent first round QB with a ton of raw talent and they praise Walker as some pigskin messiah.

Archived