• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nice Read on the Panthers QB situation and the draft

ncfan

Good article and I agree. We could build a great team around Teddy but it's a more realistic approach with where we sit to go get a QB we like then try and build that kind of team over the next 2 or 3 years just to justify Teddy's contract. Get the QB now and keep building around better pieces, this one just happens to be the biggest piece by far.

It's pretty much what a number of folks here have been saying for a while.  Forget about Bridgewater (Ok, the Huddle won't let TB5 die in peace, I get it.).  But seriously, he doesn't matter.

It's the place where we're drafting (pretty high) and the number of QB's who are projecting as very good potential for NFL success.  That's a combination that just doesn't come around often.  We need to take a chance at finding a QB who can be our Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben.  We need a guy who will be here 12-15 years and elevate the team around him.

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

It's pretty much what a number of folks here have been saying for a while.  Forget about Bridgewater (Ok, the Huddle won't let TB5 die in peace, I get it.).  But seriously, he doesn't matter.

It's the place where we're drafting (pretty high) and the number of QB's who are projecting as very good potential for NFL success.  That's a combination that just doesn't come around often.  We need to take a chance at finding a QB who can be our Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben.  We need a guy who will be here 12-15 years and elevate the team around him.

to be honest...after Lawrence...alls i see is Bortles, Darnolds, Rosens and Wentzs left.

I dont think it can be understated how big of a flop job that Washington game was by Rivera. I dont think he wanted to get into the playoffs. He knows they need a QB. Alex Smith is done, Allen isnt it, neither was Haskins. He tanked with Haskins, but made it look like he wasnt trying to by eventually benching him, then he got out tanked by Philly. WFT needs to trade up for a QB and winning that division wasnt going to make it easy.

Now that may seem like a wild theory, and given RR stubbornness when it comes to benching players for poor performance I can see where some might say it's not possible. But I'm not so sure. It makes sense playing 4d chess, I'm just not sure Ron is capable of that type of move. 

20 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I think Bridgewater does matter in that he was actually brought in because he knows Brady's system and taught it to everyone. If we go heavy on the offense with a bunch of new guys we need Teddy to run the system especially if Brady gets plucked away. His experience is the key not his own production. We need to bring in a rookie QB because that is best way to get a good backup and possible franchise guy on the cheap. Then Bridgewater either improves and wins the starting job or the rookie takes it away.. Unless Bridgewater hit the weights and gets bigger, he won't last through a season anyway. You need a good backup/starter.  With several legitimate guys out there I would definitely take a shot. 

11 minutes ago, Pimpdaddy said:

to be honest...after Lawrence...alls i see is Bortles, Darnolds, Rosens and Wentzs left.

So could these guys be good in a QB friendly system? I think guys bomb out because the system doesn't match their skills. You have to bring young guys along and maximize their current skill set while developing them into more of a complete QB as they gain experience and can make all the throws and understand the game.

But what is most critical to me are the combine interviews. That is when coaches can find out about their heart and head which for a QB is critically important. 

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I think Bridgewater does matter in that he was actually brought in because he knows Brady's system and taught it to everyone. If we go heavy on the offense with a bunch of new guys we need Teddy to run the system especially if Brady gets plucked away. His experience is the key not his own production. We need to bring in a rookie QB because that is best way to get a good backup and possible franchise guy on the cheap. Then Bridgewater either improves and wins the starting job or the rookie takes it away.. Unless Bridgewater hit the weights and gets bigger, he won't last through a season anyway. You need a good backup/starter.  With several legitimate guys out there I would definitely take a shot. 

He is setting this up, and it is the way to go. To me, the question is simply, is our first rounder going to be Lance or Jones?

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

So could these guys be good in a QB friendly system? I think guys bomb out because the system doesn't match their skills. You have to bring young guys along and maximize their current skill set while developing them into more of a complete QB as they gain experience and can make all the throws and understand the game.

But what is most critical to me are the combine interviews. That is when coaches can find out about their heart and head which for a QB is critically important. 

Thank you, and I see what Pimp is saying,  The system matters.  I think we have a staff that will develop YOUNG (remember the emphasis Matt had on that word) players because they are teachers first. Rhule believes in players, and when they respond, the bond is formed that is hard to explain--that is why he wants so many former players and frankly, they have done well.

If we take a QB in round 1, the next few rounds will fill the OL and we may go to war with 2 rookie OL next year.  LT and RG, at the moment--maybe even LT and C.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

He is setting this up, and it is the way to go. To me, the question is simply, is our first rounder going to be Lance or Jones?

I want to see how Jones does when he is  playing for all the marbles in the national championship. He surely dismantled Notre Dame. The choice to me rests on what you think Jones ceiling will be. You know he has the poise and temperament to succeed.  And he would be more plug and play than Lance. But honestly the Lance situation is ideal here. He can learn and develop behind Bridgewater and get in work when he can. By sometime during the season he might get a start. He is rough but has quite a bit of upside. We sure hit gold with Chinn  who was also from a small school and learned fast. Maybe having college coaches is an advantage to teaching guys fresh out of college.

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I want to see how Jones does when he is  playing for all the marbles in the national championship. He surely dismantled Notre Dame. The choice to me rests on what you think Jones ceiling will be. You know he has the poise and temperament to succeed.  And he would be more plug and play than Lance. But honestly the Lance situation is ideal here. He can learn and develop behind Bridgewater and get in work when he can. By sometime during the season he might get a start. He is rough but has quite a bit of upside. We sure hit gold with Chinn  who was also from a small school and learned fast. Maybe having college coaches is an advantage to teaching guys fresh out of college.

There are 32 starting QB's in the NFL.  None of them from FCS schools.

There are 32 backup QB's in the NFL.  None of are from FCS schools.

I'm not saying Lance will fail, but I am saying that the odds are against him.  So much of his game is based around him simply being a better athlete than those around him.  That won't be true any longer.  If he were Cam Newton, he'd be playing FBS football.

I'm not anti-Lance, and if we draft him I'll of course root for him, but I am *extremely* dubious of how he will translate.

Archived