• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The attraction is valid.  The concerns are valid too.  This is where the Pro day and meetings will decide his fate with us.  I think he'll be available at 8 but if we don't do our homework on this guy we could be getting another bad egg.

I am glad we have the Senior Bowl to evaluate other QBs.  It might be better to gamble on a lower round QB that to try and strike it rich with a one year wonder.

One QB I could see us going after in the late rounds maybe even UDFA (due to an ACL tear in 2020) is Mike Penix Jr. from Indiana.   I saw him in a couple of games this year including against OSU and he looked dynamic.  

Below is a pretty good article on his prospect.   The writer addresses both good and bad points about him. One was his completion rate but the games I saw his receivers (outside Ty Fryfogie) consistently dropped perfectly thrown balls. 

2021 NFL Draft Player Profile – Michael Penix Jr. | Important Nonsense

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
41 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The attraction is valid.  The concerns are valid too.  This is where the Pro day and meetings will decide his fate with us.  I think he'll be available at 8 but if we don't do our homework on this guy we could be getting another bad egg.

I am glad we have the Senior Bowl to evaluate other QBs.  It might be better to gamble on a lower round QB that to try and strike it rich with a one year wonder.

One QB I could see us going after in the late rounds maybe even UDFA (due to an ACL tear in 2020) is Mike Penix Jr. from Indiana.   I saw him in a couple of games this year including against OSU and he looked dynamic.  

Below is a pretty good article on his prospect.   The writer addresses both good and bad points about him. One was his completion rate but the games I saw his receivers (outside Ty Fryfogie) consistently dropped perfectly thrown balls. 

2021 NFL Draft Player Profile – Michael Penix Jr. | Important Nonsense

If you’re drafting in the top 10 that usually means there’s instability at the most important position on the field....the QB. You absolutely try and strike gold if you think Lance (my preference actually between him Wilson and Fields) or whomever they decide on. Shoot trading up for the right QB is on the table as well.

If all 4 QB’s are gone by the time we pick/we’re unable to trade up for our guy/we don’t fall in love with a Mac Jones then I’m in agreement let’s just fortify other areas of weakness and punch a lottery ticket on an athletic/overlooked QB like Penix later (5th round-UDFA).

• Pie 4
20 minutes ago, CashNewton22 said:

If you’re drafting in the top 10 that usually means there’s instability at the most important position on the field....the QB. You absolutely try and strike gold if you think Lance (my preference actually between him Wilson and Fields) or whomever they decide on. Shoot trading up for the right QB is on the table as well.

If all 4 QB’s are gone by the time we pick/we’re unable to trade up for our guy/we don’t fall in love with a Mac Jones then I’m in agreement let’s just fortify other areas of weakness and punch a lottery ticket on an athletic/overlooked QB like Penix later (5th round-UDFA).

I wish there was more info on Lance.  Wilson and Fields will be gone by our pick.  

I know QB is probably our most glaring need but reaching for a QB is just as bad as holding onto the TB experience.   The Senior Bowl will give Rhule an opportunity to see up close and personal 1/2 of the Senior QBs coming out.   I definitely believe that they may pass on a QB in round 1 and go O-line. 

• Pie 1
37 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I wish there was more info on Lance.  Wilson and Fields will be gone by our pick.  

I know QB is probably our most glaring need but reaching for a QB is just as bad as holding onto the TB experience.   The Senior Bowl will give Rhule an opportunity to see up close and personal 1/2 of the Senior QBs coming out.   I definitely believe that they may pass on a QB in round 1 and go O-line. 

If one of the top 4 qbs are there I hope not but honestly who knows at this point. 

I think the pick is Lance if we stay put at 8th AND he proves himself at the combine and Senior Bowl. If the Panthers don't like what they see, then I think we will look to trade down if possible.

If you look at Trey's legs and speed you can see he's going to break tackles when he scrambles, you can roll him out of bootlegs, and have designed runs for him as well. He's not going to go down easily even with bigger guys hitting him in the pocket, and he will truck some DBs. Lance gives us a redzone threat just in his ability to take off and burst into the endzone with power. Teams will suffer if the they go man-to-man on us because of our WRs being able to get separation, and if you add in Lance scrambling with the DBs having their backs turned to him, that is a major problem for opposing defenses.

Realize that Lance is lean muscle, see his biceps, and he's 6-4, 226 pounds. Lance is a badass athlete, and we have not had a badass since Cam was healthy at the QB position. He can uncork a 60 yard bomb on target like it's nothing.

The problem? Well Trey Lance completed 13.5 completions per game. 208 total completions in college. Yikes. We know next to nothing about Lance. Next to nothing.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If we don't like what we see with Lance, then he could drop completely out of the 1st round altogether. He is a huge question mark, and scouts could sour on him quickly if he doesn't come out and wow people. He's an extremely risky pick, and I don't think anyone would be shocked if he fell to the second or third round if he doesn't do something big the next time we see him.

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

I think the pick is Lance if we stay put at 8th AND he proves himself at the combine and Senior Bowl. If the Panthers don't like what they see, then I think we will look to trade down if possible.

If you look at Trey's legs and speed you can see he's going to break tackles when he scrambles, you can roll him out of bootlegs, and have designed runs for him as well. He's not going to go down easily even with bigger guys hitting him in the pocket, and he will truck some DBs. Lance gives us a redzone threat just in his ability to take off and burst into the endzone with power. Teams will suffer if the they go man-to-man on us because of our WRs being able to get separation, and if you add in Lance scrambling with the DBs having their backs turned to him, that is a major problem for opposing defenses.

Realize that Lance is lean muscle, see his biceps, and he's 6-4, 226 pounds. Lance is a badass athlete, and we have not had a badass since Cam was healthy at the QB position. He can uncork a 60 yard bomb on target like it's nothing.

The problem? Well Trey Lance completed 13.5 completions per game. 208 total completions in college. Yikes. We know next to nothing about Lance. Next to nothing.

He's not eligible for the Senior Bowl. There's talk that the Combine will be scrapped this year too.

What a huge risk with the 8th pick. High reward, but such a high risk. Better chance than not that he doesn't make it in the NFL. But if he does, could be a superstar. Does Tepper strike you as a gambler on a situation with that many variables?

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
22 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He's not eligible for the Senior Bowl. There's talk that the Combine will be scrapped this year too.

If that's the case then I don't see us or anyone taking him in the top 10 imo.

• Pie 1