• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derrick Brown was double teamed a whole damn lot

Zod

7 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I am sure he has something to do with it but don't take credit for Obada.  He's gone from a trial player to a legitimate defender.  He's not pro bowl material but he plays a solid role.

I know this thread isn’t about him but obada is bar none the best story on out team. From a rough early life to the nfl. And if you follow the panthers closely you know he is constantly one of the hardest workers (first person out to practice frequently). 

his work ethic has been amazing to see going from a raw project to a serviceable player. He deserves some praise. 

11 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Hence why I say we desperately need a 3Tech.

When teams did single block Brown he was walking the iOL into the backfield. 

I am on that page as well, but what they did was unusual.  There were times when they had Brown at the 3, Kerr inside--I saw Brown at 5 at least one play--I remember rewinding the play to see if was crazy.  He was at the 5, but that did not prove my mental diagnosis.  When the run some 2-man fronts, put Obada and (a few times) YGM inside at the 3---it got crazy. Big Nickel?  Not sure what they were doing, but as players adjusted, we got better.  Do we need a #3 or a hybrid DE/DT--like a 3-4 DE?  I still can't figure out what they were doing-and were they doing it all because they had no 3T? 

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am on that page as well, but what they did was unusual.  There were times when they had Brown at the 3, Kerr inside--I saw Brown at 5 at least one play--I remember rewinding the play to see if was crazy.  He was at the 5, but that did not prove my mental diagnosis.  When the run some 2-man fronts, put Obada and (a few times) YGM inside at the 3---it got crazy. Big Nickel?  Not sure what they were doing, but as players adjusted, we got better.  Do we need a #3 or a hybrid DE/DT--like a 3-4 DE?  I still can't figure out what they were doing-and were they doing it all because they had no 3T? 

I thought that was what they were doing with Obada later in the year...moving him inside at the 3 on obvious passing down.  By the way, he looked pretty good too.

I'm am still in awe over lat year's draft.  Hurney couldn't have been the one turning in those cards....impossible.   After YEARS of banging my against the wall, a draft finally went how I envisioned it.  Yes, even getting 3 of the exact players I mocked and 5 of 6 positions overall.

I remember so much flak over Brown.  'DTs are a dime a dozen', 'You don't draft DTs that high', 'We have much bigger needs that a DT in round 1'  so on, so on, and so on......  I stuck with my gut.

27 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I thought that was what they were doing with Obada later in the year...moving him inside at the 3 on obvious passing down.  By the way, he looked pretty good too.

He did--quietly one of the most improved players I have ever seen. 

21 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I'm am still in awe over lat year's draft.  Hurney couldn't have been the one turning in those cards....impossible.   After YEARS of banging my against the wall, a draft finally went how I envisioned it.  Yes, even getting 3 of the exact players I mocked and 5 of 6 positions overall.

I remember so much flak over Brown.  'DTs are a dime a dozen', 'You don't draft DTs that high', 'We have much bigger needs that a DT in round 1'  so on, so on, and so on......  I stuck with my gut.

Hurney during last year's draft:

happy good vibes GIF by Great Big Story

43 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

He played 3 games and went on IR. Do you watch the games?

Wow you are a trip sometimes. It was a joke. Damn man, you might want to stop reading every post to find those little mistakes so you can post to make yourself feel superior and try to interpret them before posting a gotcha. Of course I fuging know Short did nothing this year, I was the head cheerleader to release him and not waste money. SMH.

18 minutes ago, Beerfacedlegend said:

Derek brown needs to hit the gym . Donald is a perfect man 

Brown has always struck me a 'country strong'.  It would be interesting for him to get on a diet plan and hit the weights.  Dude could end up being super nasty.  Not to say he needs achieve Donald's physique or even close, but even turning some of that pudginess into muscle would be an obvious improvement.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:50 PM, Zod said:

A chart of which DTs were double teamed against their production. Not only did Derrick Brown receive more than his fair share of double teams, but he also still produced at a high level. 

In other words, Brown was a beast.

20210116_134841.jpg

For a rookie!! That’s an amazing stat!!

Archived