• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watson not the only big name vet at QB that we're looking at?

ncfan

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Remember that Watson can tank his trade value with that no trade clause. It isn't a "free market" trade scenario 

and they can refuse to trade him anywhere.

People are severely overrating how much of a discount teams will get because of that no trade clause.

Just now, AU-panther said:

and they can refuse to trade him anywhere.

People are severely overrating how much of a discount teams will get because of that no trade clause.

That is the standoff portion. 

Watson can tank his value by saying, "I will only play for X team(or teams)." The Texans can say, "fug you, you'll sit for a season."

In the end, it is really only the Texans that lose on that move though. I think they blink first.

I still believe if a trade happens it will be for far less than the current speculation is. Precisely because of that no trade clause.

3 minutes ago, @bonafidebanter said:

When are you guys going to figure in Matt Stafford's injury history? That plays a part in this too. I can see you guys melting down as soon as he's injured and out for 3-4 weeks. This is not fantasy football.

You might want to read his stats before u post, he has played in every game except for 8 games last year for the last nine years. Then this year he played last 5 games with all kinds of injuries, last game he still put up 293 yds and 3 tds. Did Teddy do that all year?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

That is the standoff portion. 

Watson can tank his value by saying, "I will only play for X team(or teams)." The Texans can say, "fug you, you'll sit for a season."

In the end, it is really only the Texans that lose on that move though. I think they blink first.

I still believe if a trade happens it will be for far less than the current speculation is. Precisely because of that no trade clause.

He would lose money, actually a lot.

Just now, Moo Daeng said:

There's going to be 4 months of people losing their minds over this and then he stays in Houston.

Yeah people should be happy we are looking at Stafford instead of Watson a whole lot cheaper. People thinking we giving up CMC are insane. At least Stafford can push ball downfield and we would still have CMC.

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

He would lose money, actually a lot.

He would lose money but he also has the remainder of his career to recoup those losses. That isn't to discount how much he would lose(roughly $10.5 mil in salary plus whatever the fines would be). Consequently, the Texans stand to lose draft compensation, salary cap space(and rollover space), and essentially put their entire franchise on pause. 

I just believe if Watson ends up limiting the places he is willing to go, those teams(or even worse for the Texans THAT team) will know the competition is smaller and not get too wild. But, that's also assuming that one team may not sell the entire farm to get him.

Tons and tons of "what ifs" for an entire scenario that is essentially a "what if."

7 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

Stafford is a degree better than Bridgewater.... this won’t get us over the top

His contract is only for 2021 and 2022. I think the Stafford scenario makes the most sense if we decide to take a QB at #8. 

That's a much more valuable "bridge" QB than Teddy was, and for essentially similar money. The obvious downside is that we get pounded on dead cap(again) if we cut Teddy. 

10 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

You might want to read his stats before u post, he has played in every game except for 8 games last year for the last nine years. Then this year he played last 5 games with all kinds of injuries, last game he still put up 293 yds and 3 tds. Did Teddy do that all year?

I'm not taking up for Teddy, I'm only saying that Matt Stafford isn't the answer. He's a bust son.

• Poo 2

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He would lose money but he also has the remainder of his career to recoup those losses. That isn't to discount how much he would lose(roughly $10.5 mil in salary plus whatever the fines would be). Consequently, the Texans stand to lose draft compensation, salary cap space(and rollover space), and essentially put their entire franchise on pause. 

I just believe if Watson ends up limiting the places he is willing to go, those teams(or even worse for the Texans THAT team) will know the competition is smaller and not get too wild. But, that's also assuming that one team may not sell the entire farm to get him.

Tons and tons of "what ifs" for an entire scenario that is essentially a "what if."

He wouldn't have the remainder of his career.  They own his rights, even if he retires.

The $10.5m this year the could lose, is actually his first "big" year of salary.  The other years were lower amounts from his rookie contract.  The majority of money he has all ready received was from his signing bonus, of which they could go after and take back.