• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is one surprise QB...

methodtoll

Jimmy G is def available, and outside of the injuries he’s a major upgrade over Teddy.  I would love the move to be honest.  He was 7 minutes away from beating Mahomes in the SB until there defense poo the bed.  Mitch and Darnold are two of the worst QBs drafted in the past five years, I’d rather have Teddy all day than those busts let’s be real.

8 hours ago, davos said:

Some have been mentioned:

Minshew - I really don't hate the idea.  I'd be pretty interested to see how he looks with a supporting cast like ours.

Darnold - Not so much a darkhorse but if Watson isn't New York bound, I'd throw an offer at the Jets after the draft/if they go Fields/Wilson

I also don't hate the Jalen Hurts idea but don't know if the Iggles will make him available.

Not many good existing options but my top choice would be Darnold if the Jets don't land Watson.

The problem with Minshew is that he is on a very, very cheap deal and so the Jags aren't going to be likely to want to get rid of a cheap and effective backup unless we pony up something worth their while. He isn't exactly a money suck on their cap.

Darnold is similar but he also leaves the Jets with $5 mil in dead cap for trading him.

Hurts is the same situation. Adds(although small) dead cap for the Eagles for the next three years and is a very cheap and capable backup. 

If the Jets don't land Watson, I would honestly draft a QB at #3. Go into camp with a competition and if Darnold is clearly the guy, you have a good backup option that you just drafted. If Darnold gets beat out by the rookie, now you have a trade chip. Maybe send Teddy back to NY for Darnold(obviously we give up a bunch of draft picks in this scenario)?

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

If NYJ are going to draft a QB, which most mocks say they are, Sam is still on his rookie contract.  Trade a 2nd round pick for him.  Trade back at 8 and take a late first and regain a 2nd and draft an O-line. 

Remember it is also the last year of his rookie deal. So it would be a 2nd round draft pick for a one year rental.

10 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Seriously, if we miss out on a QB in the draft and a blockbuster deal can't be reached, I wouldn't mind Andy Dalton on a cheap (QB cheap) deal and let him compete with Teddy for the starting spot.  If he wins, cut Teddy and he'll be a post June 1 cut by then.  The dead cap isn't too bad this season and only $5M in 2022.

image.png.10e3782b68d20cdebee8c1ca078803d2.png

Wow, you've really outdone yourself.  

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Remember it is also the last year of his rookie deal. So it would be a 2nd round draft pick for a one year rental.

I'd give them a third instead.  If they want to move on from him, he can't be that valuable.  

8 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

If we strike out on Deshaun and miss our top draft guys, that's one hell of a dark horse candidate that I could get behind.  Eagles might be open to moving him to coddle Wentz's hurt feelings and we grab a guy with potential for "cheap". 

It’s not that we’re going to strike out on Deshaun as much as we aren’t a preferred destination for him. Like Stafford, he will go where he wants. I think he stays in Houston unless the Jets or Dolphins make a move. If neither of them makes a good enough offer then I think Deshaun will consider staying in Houston before opening up to the possibility of coming to a place like Carolina. 

I think Lance or Fields will be available at 8 unless San Francisco trades up. Lucky for us both are better than Wilson who’s this years Mitch Trubisky. 

16 minutes ago, NAS said:

I'd give them a third instead.  If they want to move on from him, he can't be that valuable.  

This QB market is fuging nuts though. If they move on from Darnold, it will be a good temperature of how crazy it is. If teams are beating down the door to get Darnold, who doesn't have much to show for his time in the NFL so far, this market may be at record levels. Derek Carr will be another situation to watch for a temp check of the market.

10 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

It’s not that we’re going to strike out on Deshaun as much as we aren’t a preferred destination for him. Like Stafford, he will go where he wants. I think he stays in Houston unless the Jets or Dolphins make a move. If neither of them makes a good enough offer then I think Deshaun will consider staying in Houston before opening up to the possibility of coming to a place like Carolina. 

I think Lance or Fields will be available at 8 unless San Francisco trades up. Lucky for us both are better than Wilson who’s this years Mitch Trubisky. 

Speaking of bad takes, you got two in one post. Well done.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This QB market is fuging nuts though. If they move on from Darnold, it will be a good temperature of how crazy it is. If teams are beating down the door to get Darnold, who doesn't have much to show for his time in the NFL so far, this market may be at record levels. Derek Carr will be another situation to watch for a temp check of the market.

Speaking of bad takes, you got two in one post. Well done.

The first isn’t a take it’s fact. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Facts are things that you can prove with evidence. Where is yours?

I don’t have to prove it to you. Or anyone else here that’s the thing. The clues as to why I know this are everywhere. But more importantly a lot of it is just common sense IF you know the strength of their relationship. 

You want proof that he would get advice from Cam on Cam’s former team? You can read more about their relationship 

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/the-brotherly-bond-between-deshaun-watson-cam-newton-daily-brew

Hell Cam damn near got Deshaun to go to Auburn, but thankfully for me he was already committed to Clemson. 

You can draw your own educated guesses as to what Cam would tell him about Carolina and Deshaun is a grown man he didn’t go to Auburn like Cam wanted so in theory he could come here. But he ain’t.