• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Wire's Tim Weaver (via Jordan Rodrigue): Panthers 'Love' Fields, 'Like' Jones!

top dawg

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not just talking about quarterbacks.

Think of Sean Gilbert, for example.

Lol that is in no way, shape or form this current iteration of the Panthers. I venture to guess that there is not one single person still employed with the organization who was around for what you are talking about. We might as well be a new expansion team in that sense.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not just talking about quarterbacks.

Think of Sean Gilbert, for example.

I know what you are attempting with this comparison but it’s just a bad one (and an old one...dudes 50 years old now). We are not winning anything without a franchise QB, and it’s the one position you have to take risk at. If your not drafting top 3 you have to take risk to get your guy in the draft, pray he falls to you, or take other risk by trading picks and paying big money for a  QB from another team (which brings its own risk)because they are making much more than someone on a rookie deal, and possibly limiting cap to build your team. You are going to have a risk any way you Look at it if you are looking for a franchise QB. 

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Lol that is in no way, shape or form this current iteration of the Panthers. I venture to guess that there is not one single person still employed with the organization who was around for what you are talking about. We might as well be a new expansion team in that sense.

Ron Rivera wasn't John Fox either, but he found his own ways of screwing up.

Logically no, these aren't the former Panthers. But the lessons from years of Panther fanhood are going to take time to overcome.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which is why I'm hoping for better.

Also hoping David Tepper doesn't try to be Jerry Jones.

Tepper said he wasn’t going to be involved in personnel decisions.

Giving broad direction to go after an elite QB (if any of that is even true) is hardly meddling. He’s just giving his guys permission to be aggressive and take risks. 

I know people like to make broad sweeping conclusions based on tiny bits of speculation though.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Verge said:

Fields seems like the most realistic option if we can't get Watson. 

Pick #3 might be the early favorite.  

I’m not positive the Texans will deal Watson and I’m even if they do I not sure if we can outbid the Jets, if the Jets want to be aggressive.

I could actually see Miami being more interested in CMC than the Texans if he was part of a deal.  Would be a nice weapon if they are trying to develop Tua.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I know what you are attempting with this comparison but it’s just a bad one (and an old one...dudes 50 years old now). We are not winning anything without a franchise QB, and it’s the one position you have to take risk at. If your not drafting top 3 you have to take risk to get your guy in the draft, pray he falls to you, or take other risk by trading picks and paying big money for a  QB from another team (which brings its own risk)because they are making much more than someone on a rookie deal, and possibly limiting cap to build your team. You are going to have a risk any way you Look at it if you are looking for a franchise QB. 

See above, and don't frame it in terms of the Watson situation because that's not what I'm talking about.

We're pleased with the results from Matt Rhule so far, but we were also pleased with the early returns from Ron Rivera. Later results, not so much.

Likewise, while it's not difficult to imagine that Scott Fitterer will be a better GM than Marty Hurney because Marty was terrible, it's not guaranteed that he's going to be a good GM either. We'll have to wait and see.

And then there's David Tepper. His grade is still an incomplete to me, but he's definitely done some things that make me wonder if he really knows what he's doing (his praise and retention of Marty for example). I haven't seen enough good from him to make me trust him yet.

We all hope there are better things to come.

But it's not guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Tepper said he wasn’t going to be involved in personnel decisions.

Giving broad direction to go after an elite QB (if any of that is even true) is hardly meddling. He’s just giving his guys permission to be aggressive and take risks. 

I know people like to make broad sweeping conclusions based on tiny bits of speculation though.

I remember him saying that, and I hope he's true to it.

But then you read an article like the one from Jason LaCanfora, who makes it sound like Tepper is so committed to Watson that he'll do anything it takes, even if it doesn't necessarily make good sense.

LaCanfora could be wrong, of course (he has been plenty of times before) but if he's right, that makes me nervous.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

See above, and don't frame it in terms of the Watson situation because that's not what I'm talking about.

We're pleased with the results from Matt Rhule so far, but we were also pleased with the early returns from Ron Rivera. Later results, not so much.

Likewise, while it's not difficult to imagine that Scott Fitterer will be a better GM than Marty Hurney because Marty was terrible, it's not guaranteed that he's going to be a good GM either. We'll have to wait and see.

And then there's David Tepper. His grade is still an incomplete to me, but he's definitely done some things that make me wonder if he really knows what he's doing (his praise and retention of Marty for example). I haven't seen enough good from him to make me trust him yet.

But it's not guaranteed.

We were talking about the young QB prospects originally. I get that you are negative about any decisions we make or could make in the future, but this rant is just off topic. Yeah nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, we could have a horrible owner, our coach could suck, our gm could be fired in a year, but what does that have to do with finding a franchise QB. In order to get one, you have to take risk, and until we do, we won’t win. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

But it's not guaranteed.

Scot, the retention of Hurney was a reasonable move considering that Tepper was trying to just get his bearings (which he admitted). Scorched earth is not always the best policy, and it obviously isn't Tepper's style. And in regards to praising Hurney, that was obviously just owner-speak, if not outright bullsh¡t! We heard intimations about getting rid of Hurney as the GM months before Tepper actually axed him!

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We were talking about the young QB prospects originally. I get that you are negative about any decisions we make or could make in the future, but this rant is just off topic. Yeah nothing is guaranteed in the NFL, we could have a horrible owner, our coach could suck, our gm could be fired in a year, but what does that have to do with finding a franchise QB. In order to get one, you have to take risk, and until we do, we won’t win. 

Not negative, nervous.

Twenty five plus years as a Panther fan will do that to you.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Scot, the retention of Hurney was a reasonable move considering that Tepper was trying to just get his bearings (which he admitted). Scorched earth is not always the best policy, and it obviously isn't Tepper's style. And in regards to praising Hurney, that was obviously just owner-speak, if not outright bullsh¡t! We heard intimations about getting rid of Hurney as the GM months before Tepper actually axed him!

From what he's said recently, I think even Tepper acknowledges keeping him for another year was a mistake.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From what he's said recently, I think even Tepper acknowledges keeping him for another year was a mistake.

Well hinsight is always 20/20! 

I do agree with you about Tepper possibly being a meddler. I don't know it for sure, but I certainly thought it as I read the article. Where I might disagree though is that maybe, just maybe, we'll end up better for it in the long run. And, yes, I know that Jerry Jones is the poster boy for why owners shouldn't meddle, but, Tepper seems to be a lot smarter than Jerry Jones.