• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teddy Bridgewater likely on the outs in Carolina

Verge

Uncertain times ahead for this franchise in its most important position for sure. I sure hope we get it right if we go QB in the first round. So much rides on that pick. If they feel like they dont have a sure fire starter for years to come with our pick I would just wait and not push the issue and fill another position of need. 

12 hours ago, joemac said:

Well a big reason is because we don’t have another QB on the roster to take his place. Say we trade Teddy tomorrow. Then we never get Watson, and then every good QB is taken ahead of us. Then what? 

Then you play Will G.

Don't double down on this years mistake by bringing in a guy that can win 4 or 5 games.

You lose out and take your choice of Howell or Rattler. Of course that's a crappy consolation prize to Trevor but oh well.

2 hours ago, d-dave said:

You're not wrong, but we need more out of a QB than a 2 yard throw on 4th and 9.  Teddy would have been fine if our D did play better, but we'd run into the hump that Teddy could never have pushed us over.  Teddy is a great dude, a middling QB, and he's not a guy who will elevate your team to greatness.  He needs a coach and the rest of the team to do that for him.  

Maybe SF would be a great place for him with a super QB friendly scheme that will utilize his smarts, and a OL and running game to take some pressure off of him on early downs.  Now if only we could get them to give us all of their mid round picks...

Can't argue with you there, but had things been different on defense we'd have been happier having him as the bridge QB here.

And until our defense gets and stays aggressive it won't really matter if we have a mad bomber back there throwing or a gazelle-like mobile QB. 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Can't argue with you there, but had things been different on defense we'd have been happier having him as the bridge QB here.

And until our defense gets and stays aggressive it won't really matter if we have a mad bomber back there throwing or a gazelle-like mobile QB. 

I don't agree with your first point, as the objective isn't to get a few more wins. I would have been much more satisfied to see him actually play quality football consistently throughout the year and still lose due to terrible defense (as folks expected anyway) than to see slightly better defense eek out a few more wins even with the offense as impotent as it became. The way things played out it made it abundantly clear that an upgrade is needed with no real chance of deluding into thinking things are good enough at the QB position.

It's the Marvin Lewis effect, good enough to look good at times but never good enough to get anywhere... no thanks.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I don't agree with your first point, as the objective isn't to get a few more wins. I would have been much more satisfied to see him actually play quality football consistently throughout the year and still lose due to terrible defense (as folks expected anyway) than to see slightly better defense eek out a few more wins even with the offense as impotent as it became. The way things played out it made it abundantly clear that an upgrade is needed with no real chance of deluding into thinking things are good enough at the QB position.

It's the Marvin Lewis effect, good enough to look good at times but never good enough to get anywhere... no thanks.

I'm not saying he's good enough to continue as our starter. He played timid last season and after the third week he looked nothing like he did in New Orleans the prior season. Offensively he had weapons, even after CMC went down (although that was a huge one). And we did score, most of the time. With the exception of the Detroit game, though, we couldn't stop a team to save our lives. Our defensive coordination looked like a rookie player in his first year in the league (which it pretty much was). 

The objective is always to win games each season, as many as possible. I'm not saying Teddy would have won us those games, just that we had the capabilities as a team to win a few of those games with a bit more backbone in our defense. 

We do need a new QB, desperately, if we are going to be relevant any time soon. I think we draft one, the best available and move forward there. If that pick is somehow a bust, we move into next season picking it again, repeating if necessary. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

10 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm not saying he's good enough to continue as our starter. He played timid last season and after the third week he looked nothing like he did in New Orleans the prior season. Offensively he had weapons, even after CMC went down (although that was a huge one). And we did score, most of the time. With the exception of the Detroit game, though, we couldn't stop a team to save our lives. Our defensive coordination looked like a rookie player in his first year in the league (which it pretty much was). 

The objective is always to win games each season, as many as possible. I'm not saying Teddy would have won us those games, just that we had the capabilities as a team to win a few of those games with a bit more backbone in our defense. 

We do need a new QB, desperately, if we are going to be relevant any time soon. I think we draft one, the best available and move forward there. If that pick is somehow a bust, we move into next season picking it again, repeating if necessary. 

That last part is what makes an organization struggle and look damn stupid. Sounds pretty dumb imo

Just now, PootieNunu said:

It was a question of who is most likely to be our starter next year. We have little chance of getting Wilson.

Gotcha was what I figured. 
Was really hoping that verge wasn’t hearing rumblings in the organization saying they’re high on lance.

11 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Oh sure they did, on almost every third down. Do you know how many games we had last season where our opponents never punted? And how many of those games were decided by a single score?

Give me four punts to sprinkle among those games and we come out with a winning record. 

Then we'd be talking about making the short passing game work for us and how we got a better season than we expected. 

And how do you explain Teddy’s *career high* 15 tds despite having multiple 1k receivers? He also had 11 interceptions...only 4 more tds than ints yet had multiple 1k players, how do you explain that? Can’t blame it all on the defense.

11 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Oh sure they did, on almost every third down. Do you know how many games we had last season where our opponents never punted? And how many of those games were decided by a single score?

Give me four punts to sprinkle among those games and we come out with a winning record. 

Then we'd be talking about making the short passing game work for us and how we got a better season than we expected. 

By the way, teddy never completed a game winning drive despite how many times we lost by a single score.

12 hours ago, Runcmc said:

And how do you explain Teddy’s *career high* 15 tds despite having multiple 1k receivers? He also had 11 interceptions...only 4 more tds than ints yet had multiple 1k players, how do you explain that? Can’t blame it all on the defense.

Nope, can't blame that on the defense. Teddy owns that. Still, in one score games, the defense has to hold some of the blame. I also think our offensive and defensive coordinators were behind the learning curve and our opponents seemed to take great pleasure in showing off the difference between the pro game and the college one.

Hopefully, this season will see more aggression on both sides of the ball for the Panthers. We were timid last year in our play calling.

• Beer 1