• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former QB's support Teddy..this week's pro days..from the Observer

ladypanther

It is not lost on me that the first reply post that criticized Jake and Steve's ability to put the team on their backs was created by a person who never played in the NFL--and the only person he has had on his back is his manager at Taco Bell for taking a long break to create such a post.

I don't think their advice for a year 2 will come to fruition, but there are teams out there reportedly think Teddy will be better off in a better system.  That is how you find gems.  We now have seen the range--

In New Orleans in 2019, Teddy comes in with a strong supporting cast and wins 5 games in 5 tries.

In Charlotte in 2020, with an injured LT, CMC, and scrub LG and non-existent TE for most of the season, Teddy wins 4 games in 15 tries, but shows spurts and is close in most games. Maybe (They think) that not having CMC, Okung, and a LG and TE is the reason we did not win those close games--not the QB.

So there is the basis for their argument and the reason some teams are kicking the tires on the Teddy speed wagon.

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wouldn't go THAT far, but dude was clutch as hell.

Jake was a gamer.  He was limited as an athlete, did not have the cannon, etc.  But when the game was on the line, Jake put it on the line.  He might be the most overachieving Panther ever.  He is probably my favorite Panther for that reason.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

It is not lost on me that the first reply post that criticized Jake and Steve's ability to put the team on their backs was created by a person who never played in the NFL--and the only person he has had on his back is his manager at Taco Bell for taking a long break to create such a post.

I don't think their advice for a year 2 will come to fruition, but there are teams out there reportedly think Teddy will be better off in a better system.  That is how you find gems.  We now have seen the range--

In New Orleans in 2019, Teddy comes in with a strong supporting cast and wins 5 games in 5 tries.

In Charlotte, with an injured LT, CMC, and scrub LG and non-existent TE for most of the season, Teddy wins 4 games in 15 tries. 

So there is the basis for their argument and the reason some teams are kicking the tires on the Teddy speed wagon.

Yup. In ideal situations having guys that can just distribute the ball may be enough. In the palyoffs though, it's no coincidence IMO that the Saints haven't made it to the Super Bowl in 12 years. They're had some runs but haven't even made it to the playoffs without a top 10 defense... Brees has been the ultimate game manager-type QB and definitely has the clutch gene but hasn't been able to overcome the NFL's elite in a long time. A guy like Teddy will win games in a place like that but if they can't overcome with Brees, they sure aren't doing it with a deep discount version like Teddy.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

Jake was a gamer.  He was limited as an athlete, did not have the cannon, etc.  But when the game was on the line, Jake put it on the line.  He might be the most overachieving Panther ever.  He is probably my favorite Panther for that reason.

That's probably the best description of his playing ability that can be stated.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, KSpan said:

Yup. In ideal situations having guys that can just distribute the ball may be enough. In the palyoffs though, it's no coincidence IMO that the Saints haven't made it to the Super Bowl in 12 years. They're had some runs but haven't even made it to the playoffs without a top 10 defense... Brees has been the ultimate game manager-type QB and definitely has the clutch gene but hasn't been able to overcome the NFL's elite in a long time. A guy like Teddy will win games in a place like that but if they can't overcome with Brees, they sure aren't doing it with a deep discount version like Teddy.

Good points.  Of course, the Minnesota TD was on the D and the interference non call had a lot to do with it, but if one play costs you the game, you should have wrapped it up sooner.

You are right about Teddy.  Like a vehicle with 4-wheel drive--most of the time you do not need it...

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It is not lost on me that the first reply post that criticized Jake and Steve's ability to put the team on their backs was created by a person who never played in the NFL-

If the criteria to post is having played in the NFL, none of us would be posting...

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If a non-Panther fan that didn't know the Panthers roster went to TC back in the day, they would've picked out Chris Weinke as our starter ten times out of ten and likely thought Jake was just some guy hoping for an injury or something to squeak onto the roster. He really did not look like an NFL QB in practice.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If a non-Panther fan that didn't know the Panthers roster went to TC back in the day, they would've lucked out Chris Weinke as our starter ten times out of ten and likely thought Jake was just some guy hoping for an injury or something to squeak onto the roster. He really did not look like an NFL QB in practice.

I think Jake came in vs. Jax in a season opener late in the game for Rodney Peete and threw a perfect pass on the last play of the game to win the game--hitting Proehl in the corner of the endzone.  Not fact checking before posting, but that kind of thing was his trademark here.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I think Jake came in vs. Jax in a season opener late in the game for Rodney Peete and threw a perfect pass on the last play of the game to win the game--hitting Proehl in the corner of the endzone.  Not fact checking before posting, but that kind of thing was his trademark here.

I can't remember the details but as I recall it we were getting pretty well whooped at halftime and we came out of the locker room with Jake and never looked back.

• Pie 5

6 minutes ago, trueblade said:

If the criteria to post is having played in the NFL, none of us would be posting...

Attack their points, not the people who made them.  There is a difference.  If you choose to ignore their statements because you discount them as quarterbacks, then the same rule should apply to the poster.  That is a problem these days--people do not know how to make or debate points-instead, they discredit and attack--in this case, erroneously.

• Pie 3

With all due respect. Two yard passes on fourth and long with the game on the line are the opposite of trying to do too much.

There is no need for personal barbs or some of the ignorance that has been directed at Teddy. However we can and absolutely should be seeking to upgrade at the position as basic due diligence. We can do better than what transpired last season.

• Pie 8