• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer on why teams may be cautious about drafting QBs high (and a Bridgewater nugget)

trueblade

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There are seemingly more teams than ever in need of a QB. I don't think teams are going to get gun shy on draft day.

It's a fair point though.

How confident would you be staking your reputation on somebody you haven't really been able to fully scout?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

How confident would you be staking your reputation on somebody you haven't really been able to fully scout?

Just like with coaching decisions, I always prefer going down in flames trying to win rather than fizzle out trying not to lose.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 3

42 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I have a bottle of champagne cooling in the pantry--and I have a suicide note for my wife and kids in the safe---both anticipating the Watson news.

(kidding--I would like Watson, but the expected cost is turning me away from it)  I would rather be the team that drafts and develops its QB of the future. )

I just cringe at the opportunity cost in trading so much for Watson. 

• Pie 4

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Winning the battle, losing the war?

Exactly. And that's an awful lot of eggs in one basket. 

I still say that a guy who makes the trade demand after getting a mega contract might be a bit on the demanding side. If you take him on, you may have to relinquish control of many aspects of the team to him... Russell Wilson anyone?

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Except that's not what he said...

Breer said that as far as the final outcome, i.e. whether he's traded, sits or decides to play, nobody knows what will happen.

He believes however that if the outcome is him being traded, it will happen quickly and suddenly.

A similar sentiment was posted in one of his prior MMQB columns.

I’m far more confident that people will know if he’s getting traded or not than saying it will come out of nowhere. As much as it’s been discussed that’s already inaccurate. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lots of tape on all of these guys. They just have to do their damn jobs. The tape will tell you fat more than a combine or pro day. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Lots of tape on all of these guys. They just have to do their damn jobs. The tape will tell you fat more than a combine or pro day. 

I remember when Jamarcus Russell's hype blew up after his pro day when he threw the ball clear over them there mountains a la Uncle Rico. That turned out well.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1