• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King and Florio Taylor trade impact on Watson and Panthers

raleigh-panther

The Athletic's Michael Lombardi reports that there are rumors that Deshaun Watson doesn't want to play in New York or Miami.

Instead, Watson is rumored to want to play for the Broncos or 49ers, probably because they have more talent on their rosters. Of course, rumors are rumors. If true, Watson is lowering his odds of actually getting traded out of Houston because the Texans wouldn't be in a prime position to draft their next quarterback with Denver or San Francisco's draft picks. Even if Watson is open to being traded anywhere else, the Texans need to be willing to let him go. Thus far, the entire organization has been committed to Watson, going as far as letting trade offers go to their voicemail. There will be plenty of speculation over the next few weeks, but the reality is that a potential Watson deal likely wouldn't go through until just days or minutes before the 2021 NFL Draft.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

The Athletic's Michael Lombardi reports that there are rumors that Deshaun Watson doesn't want to play in New York or Miami.

Instead, Watson is rumored to want to play for the Broncos or 49ers, probably because they have more talent on their rosters. Of course, rumors are rumors. If true, Watson is lowering his odds of actually getting traded out of Houston because the Texans wouldn't be in a prime position to draft their next quarterback with Denver or San Francisco's draft picks. Even if Watson is open to being traded anywhere else, the Texans need to be willing to let him go. Thus far, the entire organization has been committed to Watson, going as far as letting trade offers go to their voicemail. There will be plenty of speculation over the next few weeks, but the reality is that a potential Watson deal likely wouldn't go through until just days or minutes before the 2021 NFL Draft.

There is no telling but those two were never mentioned before. It has always been NY jets, Miami or Carolina 

if they are willing to pay, go for it 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

There is no telling but those two were never mentioned before. It has always been NY jets, Miami or Carolina 

if they are willing to pay, go for it 

San Francisco has two advantages.

One, they can offer Garoppolo in return (not equal to Watson but significantly better than Bridgewater).

Two, Nick Caserio and Adam Peters are very well acquainted, which could make for smoother negotiations.

Heck, on that front, Jeff Howe is actually positing a scenario where the Patriots trade for Deshaun Watson.

(seems like a reach to me)

• Pie 1

Houston doesn't want to make Jimmy G their QB of the future if they can't keep Watson, and SF doesn't have the draft pick to put them in position to draft one.

Denver doesn't have the draft pick because no way a QB slips past us, and again, Houston doesn't want Lock as the QB of their future.

Watson can want to go to those teams, and while he has a no-trade clause, it's not like he'll say no to the Panthers if we can put together an offer that Houston wants to accept.

Realistically the only teams that can swing a trade for Watson is someone in the top 8 or willing to send back a young QB with huge potential like the Cardinals or Chargers with Murray and Herbert.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Houston doesn't want to make Jimmy G their QB of the future if they can't keep Watson, and SF doesn't have the draft pick to put them in position to draft one.

Denver doesn't have the draft pick because no way a QB slips past us, and again, Houston doesn't want Lock as the QB of their future.

Watson can want to go to those teams, and while he has a no-trade clause, it's not like he'll say no to the Panthers if we can put together an offer that Houston wants to accept.

Realistically the only teams that can swing a trade for Watson is someone in the top 8 or willing to send back a young QB with huge potential like the Cardinals or Chargers with Murray and Herbert.

This isn't even worth mentioning they aren't making a lateral move for a QB with 4x the cap hit.

10 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

This isn't even worth mentioning they aren't making a lateral move for a QB with 4x the cap hit.

Not necessarily, Murray is going to need an extension done in the next year or two and he'll get big money.

While I think Murray is going to be very good long term, I don't think he'll be as good as Watson who is only 2 years older and already one of the top QB's in the league.

The Cardinals have a legit SB contender on their hands if you swap Murray with Watson, I'd do it if I were them.

And while I think Herbert also looks like the real deal, it would be hard to turn down Watson for him, as it's the same as with the Cardinals, Watson is young enough and a known superstar, you don't turn that down if you can get him without giving up too much.

Edited by tukafan21

5 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Not necessarily, Murray is going to need an extension done in the next year or two and he'll get big money.

While I think Murray is going to be very good long term, I don't think he'll be as good as Watson who is only 2 years older and already one of the top QB's in the league.

The Cardinals have a legit SB contender on their hands if you swap Murray with Watson, I'd do it if I were them.

It's not that much of an upgrade, Kyler Murray has two more seasons and an fifth year option before he needs a deal. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

San Francisco has two advantages.

One, they can offer Garoppolo in return (not equal to Watson but significantly better than Bridgewater).

Two, Nick Caserio and Adam Peters are very well acquainted, which could make for smoother negotiations.

Heck, on that front, Jeff Howe is actually positing a scenario where the Patriots trade for Deshaun Watson.

(seems like a reach to me)

It would be extremely difficult for me to see Houston taking back JimmyG.  Otherwise they are stuck.  Denver?  Jeez, I highly doubt they have a package Houston wants.

That this hasn’t gone anywhere seriously tells me he will stay a Texan.  

Edited by Shocker

14 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

It's not that much of an upgrade, Kyler Murray has two more seasons and an fifth year option before he needs a deal. 

I think it's a pretty solid upgrade to Watson, he's Elite right now, Murray is just pretty darn good.

And what QB like that is waiting that long to get their next deal?

Murray is the type the Cardinals will need to lock up after his 3rd or 4th season

5 minutes ago, Shocker said:

It would be extremely difficult for me to see Houston taking back JimmyG.  Otherwise they are stuck.  Denver?  Jeez, I highly doubt they have a package Houston wants.

That this hasn’t gone anywhere seriously tells me he will stay a Texan.  

Depends on Caserio.

Remember, Garoppolo was very well thought of in New England before he was traded. There was even talk of keeping him over Brady.

How does he feel now? Unknown.

• Pie 1