• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bears and Russell

Mr. Scot

Before signing Andy Dalton, the Bears made a big pitch to Seattle for Russell Wilson. The Seahawks declined.

Details of the offer itself are now out.

According to Dan Patrick, Chicago offered three first-round picks, a third-round pick, and two unnamed starters for Wilson. The Seahawks, obviously, passed.

Link

3 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

If that's the floor for a Watson, count me out. 

Trade up to 2 or 3 for a fraction of that cost and get a rookie. 

With the Falcons restructuring Ryan which basically guarantees here there for another year, the Bears opting for Dalton instead of trading up, WFT/Fitzpatrick...

I realize none of these guys are long term solutions but maybe teams aren’t as high on this QB class as the media tries to make them out to be

• Pie 1

Just now, *FreeFua* said:

With the Falcons restructuring Ryan which basically guarantees here there for another year, the Bears opting for Dalton instead of trading up, WFT/Fitzpatrick...

I realize none of these guys are long term solutions but maybe teams aren’t as high on this QB class as the media tries to make them out to be

The only team you mentioned in front of us is the Falcons. Ryan has a ton left in the tank to where they don't need to think about a new QB until 2 years from now. 

The others, well, we have more trade leverage. 

8 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

It wouldn't cost that much to move up to the 1st or 2nd spot in the draft and get a rookie QB on a rookie deal. 

That's been discussed as a possibility too.

I've said before that the idea makes me nervous because I have concerns about all of the runner-ups to Lawrence.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I've said before that the idea makes me nervous because I have concerns about all of the runner-ups to Lawrence.

Which is why I think we’re seeing the moves we’re seeing. A lot of teams have their concerns over everyone not named Lawrence

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Which is why I think we’re seeing the moves we’re seeing. A lot of teams have their concerns over everyone not named Lawrence

Well, the Panthers and everybody else have a little over a month to figure out just how scary or not scary those concerns are.

2 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

If Seattle was really offered that then they are idiots to say no

Patrick said part of the Seahawks rationale was that the Bears getting Russell would mean their future draft picks would be in the 20s or lower so it wouldn't be worth it.

Valid? No idea.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Patrick said part of the Seahawks rationale was that the Bears getting Russell would mean their future draft picks would be in the 20s or lower so it wouldn't be worth it.

Valid? No idea.

Merit in that...but 3 #1s, plus players?....even if they were lower first rounders you can build a team with that

id sure like to have 2 #1s for the next 3 yrs

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

In thinking back to the 2018 draft, there were 4 QBs that draftniks and analysts were discussing in the same breath as the infamous '83 draft.

Darnold and Rosen were perceived as the top pick and Mayfield was nipping at their heels. Week of the draft Mayfield vaulted into #1 slot and the Jets looked like the big winners when Darnold fell in their lap. Rosen was highly touted and Allen was the wild card that you had to be patient with. 

Fast forward, and I feel like this draft class is showing a lot of parallels to '18. Lawrence looks like a lock with three prospects vying for that next spot. Doubtful that all four end up as elite QB1s, so one could argue the gamble of moving up vs. a proven 26-year old is easier said than done. 

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

If that's the floor for a Watson, count me out. 

Trade up to 2 or 3 for a fraction of that cost and get a rookie. 

If that's the floor for Watson, hell, I'm at least calling Jacksonville. Of course they'll say no, but everything has a price or at least that's what I've been told.